Request for consultation
Medical assistants play a critical role in our changing world of health care, and COMPREHENSIVE MEDICAL ASSISTING, Sixth Edition, prepares them to lead in this growing field. Known for accuracy, completeness of coverage, and exacting technical detail, this proven book addresses the administrative and clinical tasks required of medical assistants while preparing them for certification exams. Divided into three sections, chapters start with general topics, including therapeutic communications, coping skills, and professionalism. Administrative chapters look behind the scenes, exploring electronic medical records, ICD-10 coding, and practice management. COMPREHENSIVE MEDICAL ASSISTING also maps clinical topics to ABHES, CAAHEP, and MAERB competencies, as well as CLIA-waived procedures, and delivers an exhaustive set of skills: taking patient medical histories, recording vital signs, explaining procedures, assisting during exams and surgery, infection control, and more.
- Dynamic Trends. Extensive updates throughout the readings examine the latest trends and issues, industry best practices, and current technology, giving students an up-close perspective of medical assisting today.
- Enlightening Openers. Every unit starts with this NEW opening feature called Attributes of Professionalism, which explores five important attributes of professional behavior in the health care workplace and offers practical questions for self-testing.
- NEW Procedures. Updated to include the latest new and revised procedures, this book addresses the full depth and breadth of general, administrative, and clinical competencies for Medical Assistants.
- Critical Focus. Designed with a laser focus from the first page, COMPREHENSIVE MEDICAL ASSISTING, 6e delivers learning outcomes based on current MAERB/CAAHEP/ABHES competencies, CLIA-waived laboratory procedures, and relevant digital terminology.
- Pointed Icons. Special icons highlight content throughout the readings to remind students of the importance of professionalism in their medical assisting career.
- Improved Course Control. A revised instructor's manual with chapter-linked exercises, learning activities tailored to diverse learning styles, a robust study guide with expanded critical thinking exercises and problem solving, and online competency checklists help you guide students through procedures and evaluate them with ease.
- Convenient Glossary. An extensive, back-of-the-book glossary provides key medical and industry terms, along with their definitions, serving as a helpful reference for mastering the unique terminology and acronyms used in health care.
- Healthy Skills. Painstaking coverage of the latest clinical and administrative skillsets offers readers everything they need to get ahead in one of today's most rewarding and in-demand fields.
- Competency Mapping. Drawing clear connections between chapter material and current ABHES, CAAHEP, and MAERB competencies, this book shows students how their lessons intersect with the job, and help them better prepare for their futures as working professionals.
- Bright Insights. Packed with hundreds of hundreds of full-color photos and detailed diagrams, each chapter illustrates key procedures and showcases current equipment, building familiarity with the tools of the trade and bringing the pages to life.
- Guiding Graphics. Quick Reference Guides and infographics throughout the text help students find and understand critical information in a clear, succinct, and engaging way.
- Enhanced Studying. Created to improve testing outcomes, the Study for Success feature integrates a variety of optional and ancillary resources into each chapter while the expanded Certification Review quizzes build confidence with the certification testing format.
1. Introduction to Medical Assisting and Health Professions.
The Medical Assisting Profession. Health Care Settings and the Health Care Team.
2. The Therapeutic Approach.
Coping Skills for the Medical Assistant. Therapeutic Communication Skills. The Therapeutic Approach to the Patient with a Life-Threatening Illness.
3. Responsible Medical Practice.
Legal Considerations. Ethical Considerations. Emergency Procedures and First Aid.
Section II: ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEDURES.
4. Integrated Administrative Procedures.
Computers in the Medical Clinic. Telecommunications. Patient Scheduling. Medical Records Management. Written Communications. Medical Documents.
5. Managing Facility Finances.
Medical Insurance. Medical Coding. Daily Financial Practices. Billing and Collections. Accounting Practices.
Section III: CLINICAL PROCEDURES.
6. Integrated Clinical Procedures.
Infection Control and Medical Asepsis. The Patient History and Documentation. Vital Signs and Measurements. The Physical Examination.
7. Assisting with Specialty Examinations and Procedures.
Obstetrics and Gynecology. Pediatrics. Male Reproductive System. Gerontology. Examinations and Procedures of Body Systems.
8. Advanced Techniques and Procedures.
Assisting Minor Surgery. Diagnostic Imaging. Rehabilitation and Therapeutic Modalities. Nutrition in Health and Disease. Basic Pharmacology. Calculation of Medication Dosage and Medication Administration. Cardiac Procedures.
9. Laboratory Procedures.
Regulatory Guidelines for Safety and Quality in the Medical Laboratory. Introduction to the Medical Laboratory. Phlebotomy: Venipuncture and Capillary Puncture. Hematology.
Urinalysis. Basic Microbiology. Specialty Laboratory Tests.
Section IV: PROFESSIONAL PROCEDURES.
10. Office and Human Resources Management.
The Medical Assistant as Clinic Manager. The Medical Assistant as Human Resources Manager.
11. Entry into the Profession.
Preparing for Medical Assisting Credentials. Employment Strategies.
Appendix A: Common Health Care Abbreviations and Symbols.
Glossary of Terms.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Log on to the password-protected site to download the electronic instructor’s manual, workbook answer keys, coordinated PowerPoint® slides, and other time-saving resources.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere. Include your own favorite test questions, create multiple test versions in an instant, and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
The study guide includes key learning objectives for each chapter, outlines of important sections, self-test questions, and problem sets similar to those in the text and coordinating test bank.
This helpful study guide includes key learning objectives for each chapter, outlines of important sections, a variety of self-test questions, and sets of problems similar to those in the textbook.