Request for consultation
POLICE ETHICS, 2nd Edition picks up where traditional police training leaves off by illustrating the importance of and techniques for employing ethics in law enforcement. Ethical clarity is especially critical for the police professional – perhaps uniquely so – because the ethical point of view determines the way "police competence" is understood. In addition to the Law Enforcement Code of Ethics, the book promotes an "ethic to live by" for officers and other professionals, and applies various schools of ethical thought to practical examples in policing. The authors avoid dictating rules and labeling behaviors as inherently good or bad, instead providing the tools necessary for making intelligent, impartial decisions from a positive perspective. Expanded to include philosophical background, practical applications, and more examples of ethics in action, POLICE ETHICS, 2nd Edition is an ideal resource for students and professionals alike.
- NEW CHAPTERS: "The Nature of Police Work" illustrates the paradoxes of police work and discusses the troublesome dynamics around which the police experience revolves. In Part III of the book, "On the Street," three chapters on police misconduct have been revised and condensed to give readers a more focused perspective of this critical issue.This section also contains a new chapter with expanded discussion of the causes of police deviance.
- ETHICAL SCENARIOS: True-to-life examples of ethics on the job encourage readers to apply ethical concepts to practical situations.
- WRITING EXERCISES: At the end of each chapter, writing exercises help readers to think critically about the chapter concepts.
- HELPFUL KEY TERMS: Each chapter now concludes with a Key Terms section, which explains glossary terms throughout the readings, and reiterates their importance to readers.
- MORE EXAMPLES: The second edition contains more contemporary and historical examples to illustrate key concepts.
- POSITIVE APPROACH: Rather than teaching "mistake avoidance," POLICE ETHICS, 2nd Edition focuses on using ethical schools of thought to make better choices—and shows how these behaviors lead to success on the job.
- CHARACTER BUILDING: Developing and maintaining personal ethics is an important part of becoming a competent, responsible public servant, and POLICE ETHICS, 2nd Edition gives readers the essential skills to do just that.
- STIMULATING TOPICS: Each chapter concludes with a brief Chapter Summary and thought-provoking Topics for Discussion, Ethical Scenario and Writing Exercise to enhance reader comprehension and generate lively classroom discussions.
Preface to the Second Edition.
Part I: THE SETTING.
2. Police Professionalism.
3. The Nature of Police Work.
4. Why Be Ethical?
Part II: ETHICAL FRAMEWORKS.
5. What is Character?
6. The Development of Character.
7. Ethical Formalism.
9. An Ethic To Live By.
10. Judgment Calls.
Part III: ON THE STREET.
11. Types of Police Misconduct.
12. The Causes of Police Deviance.
13. Practical Applications.
Part IV: IMPLICATIONS.
14. The Law Enforcement Code of Ethics.
15. Being a Good Officer.