Request for consultation
This best-selling text introduces students to the basic concepts and techniques needed to successfully communicate in today's business world, regardless of their business experience. Covering every aspect of the communication process, from organizational theory to culturally aware interpersonal communication obstacles and strategies for critical listening, this text will give students a competitive edge in any business situation, from the interview to making skilled presentations to assuming a leadership role. In addition, COMMUNICATING FOR RESULTS: A GUIDE FOR BUSINESS AND THE PROFESSIONS, Tenth Edition, offers students the chance to view online video clips of common professional scenarios and apply the concepts they are learning to the real world. Cheryl Hamilton's extensive knowledge of the field ensures that each scenario is realistic and offers an opportunity for students to see how they can apply communications theory outside the classroom to improve their chances for career success.
- NEW Chapter 14, "Polishing Your Written Communications," that walks readers through the best practices of written communication, helping to provide readers with critical information for ensuring that their writing is effective and professional. Writing tips, strategies, and examples are shared for everyday writing of emails and correspondence as well as more specialized forms of writing including resumes, letters of information, and letters of persuasion.
- UPDATED case studies in many chapters to highlight recent cases that students are familiar with and will then be able to refer back to and evaluate based on the chapter reading.
- UPDATED "Ethics" boxes throughout the text to now include "Ethics & Culture," allowing readers to critically evaluate the impact that culture and ethics have on communication.
- UPDATED "It Really Works" boxed examples that show how chapter content is used successfully in the workplace.
- UPDATED: Technology in every chapter. For example, in Chapter 3, "Technology Barrier" has been added as well as a section on how the "Customer" today has changed due to social media, iPhones, YouTube, etc. Also, in Chapter 8, there is a section on how social media has changed the process of interviewing.
- UPDATED and expanded sections and examples of culture in each chapter. For example, see the expanded section on cultural differences in Chapter 3. Also, new and expanded sections in Chapter 6.
- NEW Career Activities are found at the end of each chapter to help readers put into practice what they have learned in the text reading.
- Each chapter has been thoroughly revised to reflect reviewer suggestions, current research, and current examples.
- New and updated pedagogical features include end-of-chapter group activities in each chapter, chapter-opening case studies and "Revisiting the Case Study" boxes, "Ethical Dilemma" boxes, and "It Really Works" boxes.
- The text's balance of theory and practical information helps students understand how the concepts they study today are skills they can apply at work tomorrow.
- COMMUNICATING FOR RESULTS takes a thorough, practical approach to business and professional topics, giving students exposure to the issues and situations they will encounter in today's workplace. Key topics include organizational communication, obstacles to effective organizational communication, conflict resolution, how technology affects communication, group and team communication, effective business presentations, and creating PowerPoint® presentations.
- Chapter-opening case studies preview each chapter's content and help students apply key concepts through hands-on activities.
- "It Really Works" boxes in each chapter highlight a real-world executive's use of the concepts and skills presented in the book. These practical examples provide valuable insight into the business world and help students to understand why learning business communication is integral to future success.
- A new appendix on business writing includes activities that can be completed in class, as a group, or online for a grade. In addition, all written communication pieces within the text are listed at the end of the table of contents for easy reference.
2. Communication in the Workplace.
3. Conflict, Culture, and Relationships.
4. Effective Listening.
5. Nonverbal Communication.
6. Overcoming Obstacles to Communication in the Electronic Age.
7. Basic Information for All Types of Interviews.
8. The Employment Interview.
9. Small-Group Communication and Problem Solving.
10. Participation and Leadership in Teams.
11. Informative Presentations: Selecting, Researching, Organizing, and Delivery.
12. Verbal and Visual Supporting Materials.
13. Persuasive Presentations: Individual and Team.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor's manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.