Request for consultation
From site, floor, stair, and roof plans, to framing and foundation plans – take a step-by-step journey through the architectural and structural drawings required in a complete set of commercial plans. Now in its third edition, Commercial Drafting and Detailing provides comprehensive coverage using clear explanations and professional, practical examples. Updates include an all-new chapter devoted to the development and drawing of architectural and structural details, as well as information that reflects the 2009 International Building Code and current Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) specifications. With these important revisions, and the same clear concise coverage of building materials and skills that characterized previous editions, this book is an ideal resource.
- Updated throughout to reflect the 2009 International Building Code.
- New “Easy Being Green” boxes are a prominent part of most chapters to emphasize key materials that are available to aid in sustainable building. Each box features methods to earn LEED's credits.
- Drawings have been updated from black and white to full color for more in-depth visualizations
- Electronic base drawings provided for most projects so readers have experience with drawings similar to what they will encounter in the workforce
- Drawing standards based on the National CAD standards to expose readers to the common drawing standards found in professional offices
- A final drawing section, with step-by-step layouts, guides readers to completion of a set of plans for a 4-unit condominium, a concrete block retail store, a concrete warehouse, and/or a tilt-up concrete warehouse
- Listings of relevant construction web sites appear throughout each chapter, providing access to up-to-the-minute information on contemporary construction materials and techniques.
- Covers a variety of specific building materials, including lumber, timber, steel, masonry, CMU’s poured concrete, and fire-resistive materials
- Third edition has been printed on recycled paper.
CHAPTER 1 PROFESSIONAL CAREERS AND COMMERCIAL CAD DRAFTING.
CHAPTER 2 THE CAD DRAFTERS ROLE IN OFFICE PRACTICE AND PROCEDURE.
CHAPTER 3 APPLYING AUTOCAD TOOLS TO COMMERCIAL DRAWINGS.
CHAPTER 4 INTRODUCTION TO NATIONAL BUILDING CODES.
CHAPTER 5 ACCESS REQUIREMENTS FOR PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES.
SECTION 2 BUILDING METHODS AND MATERIALS OF COMMERCIAL CONSTRUCTION.
CHAPTER 6 MAKING CONNECTIONS.
CHAPTER 7 WOOD AND TIMBER FRAMING METHODS.
CHAPTER 8 ENGINEERED MATERIALS AND PRODUCTS.
CHAPTER 9 STEEL FRAMING METHODS AND MATERIALS.
CHAPTER 10 UNIT MASONRY METHODS AND MATERIALS.
CHAPTER 11CONCRETE METHODS AND MATERIALS.
CHAPTER 12 FIRE-RESISTIVE CONSTRUCTION.
SECTION 3 PREPARING ARCHITECTURAL AND CIVIL DRAWINGS.
CHAPTER 13 STRUCTURAL CONSIDERATIONS AFFECTING CONSTRUCTION.
CHAPTER 14 PROJECT MANUALS AND WRITTEN SPECIFICATIONS .....................
CHAPTER 15 LAND DESCRIPTIONS AND DRAWINGS.
CHAPTER 16 FLOOR PLAN COMPONENTS, SYMBOLS AND DEVELOPMENT.
CHAPTER 17 ORTHOGRAPHIC PROJECTION AND ELEVATIONS.
CHAPTER 18 ROOF PLAN COMPONENTS AND DRAWINGS.
CHAPTER 19DRAWING SECTIONS.
CHAPTER 20 INTERIOR ELEVATIONS.
CHAPTER 21 RAMP, STAIR, AND ELEVATOR DRAWINGS.
SECTION 4 PREPARING STRUCTURAL DRAWINGS.
CHAPTER 22 DRAWING FRAMING PLANS.
CHAPTER 23 DRAWING STRUCTURAL ELEVATIONS, SECTIONS AND DETAILS.
CHAPTER 24 FOUNDATION SYSTEMS AND COMPONENTS.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download the workbook answer keys.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to: author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom or wherever you want. Start right away! Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero works on any operating system or browser. No special installs or downloads needed. Create tests from school, home, the coffee shop – anywhere with Internet access. What will you find? Simplicity at every step. A desktop-inspired interface features drop-down menus and familiar, intuitive tools that take you through content creation and management with ease. Full-featured test generator. Create ideal assessments with your choice of 15 question types (including true/false, multiple choice, opinion scale/likert, and essay). Multi-language support, an equation editor and unlimited metadata help ensure your tests are complete and compliant. Cross-compatible capability. Import and export content into other systems.