Request for consultation
The only book of its kind on the market today, COMMERCIAL DRAFTING AND DETAILING, 4E will give you everything you need to teach effectively – and with ease. You won't have to spend time pulling together pieces of various trade publications and supplementing them with your notes because it's all here, in one comprehensive resource. The fourth edition maintains the winning features of its previous editions; clear explanations and professional, practical examples that walk students through the architectural and structural drawings required in a complete set of commercial plans. It then builds on these successes by increasingly integrating design components into each chapter, replacing free-hand sketches with CAD skeleton drawings, and updating the information to reflect the 2015 International Building Code. The end result: you can spend less time preparing to teach and more time teaching, and your students get a valuable tool for staying current with industry trends and preparing to succeed in the classroom and beyond.
- Updated code material complies with the 2015 International Building Code to ensure students are learning tools and techniques that are current, safe, and effective.
- Revit Boxes are provided for each drawing chapter to provide an overview of how Revit can be used to generate a model of the material presented in the chapter.
- Team projects provide experience in planning a project, researching needed product information, completing and coordinating drawings components with other team members, evaluating drawings and the performance of other team members, and planning changes in procedures that would be implemented when completing future projects.
- Enhanced artwork brings the fourth edition up-to-date with industry trends and standards, like CAD skeleton drawings that replace free-hand sketches.
- Noteboxes are provided throughout the text to draw attention to valuable information related to key drawing procedures, safety precautions, and office skills needed for advancement.
- CAD boxes list the basic CAD skills that should be mastered prior to attempting specific projects in each chapter so that students can get prepared for the material ahead of them.
- Updated listings of relevant construction websites appear throughout each chapter, providing access to up-to-the-minute information on contemporary construction materials and techniques and experimental energy efficient products.
- Drawing standards are based on the National CAD standards, exposing students to the common drawing standards found in professional offices.
- A final drawing section, with step-by-step layouts, guides students through the completion of a set of plans for a 4-unit condominium, a concrete block retail store, a concrete warehouse, and/or a tilt-up concrete warehouse.
- Covers a variety of specific building materials, including lumber, timber, steel, masonry, CMU's poured concrete, and fire-resistive materials.
- "Easy Being Green" boxes emphasize key materials available to aid in sustainable building and feature methods to earn LEED's credits.
- Electronic base drawings are provided for most projects, giving students experience with drawings similar to what they will encounter in the workforce.
1. Professional Careers and Commercial CAD Drafting.
2. The CAD Drafters Role in Office Practice and Procedure.
3. Applying CAD Tools to Commercial Drawings.
4. Introduction to International Building Codes.
5. Access Requirements for People with Disabilities.
Part II. BUILDING METHODS AND MATERIALS OF COMMERCIAL CONSTRUCTION.
6. Making Connections.
7. Wood and Timber Framing Methods.
8. Engineered Lumber Products.
9. Steel Framing Methods and Materials.
10. Unit Masonry Methods and Materials.
11. Concrete Methods and Materials.
12. Fire-Resistive Construction.
Part III. PREPARING ARCHITECTURAL AND CIVIL DRAWINGS.
13. Structural Considerations Affecting Construction.
14. Project Manuals and Written Specifications.
15. Land Descriptions and Drawings.
16. Floor Plan Components, Symbols and Development.
17. Orthographic Projection and Elevations.
18. Roof Plan Components and Drawings.
19. Drawing Sections.
20. Interior Elevations.
21. Ramp, Stair, and Elevator Drawings.
Part IV. PREPARING STRUCTURAL DRAWINGS.
22. Drawing Framing Plans.
23. Drawings Structural Elevations, Sections and Details.
24. Foundation Systems and Components.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download the workbook answer keys.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to: author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom or wherever you want. Start right away! Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero works on any operating system or browser. No special installs or downloads needed. Create tests from school, home, the coffee shop – anywhere with Internet access. What will you find? Simplicity at every step. A desktop-inspired interface features drop-down menus and familiar, intuitive tools that take you through content creation and management with ease. Full-featured test generator. Create ideal assessments with your choice of 15 question types (including true/false, multiple choice, opinion scale/likert, and essay). Multi-language support, an equation editor and unlimited metadata help ensure your tests are complete and compliant. Cross-compatible capability. Import and export content into other systems.