Request for consultation
COLLEGE ALGEBRA WITH APPLICATIONS FOR BUSINESS AND LIFE SCIENCES meets the demand for courses that emphasize problem solving, modeling, and real-world applications for business and the life sciences. The authors provide a firm foundation in algebraic concepts and prompt students to apply their understanding to relevant examples and applications they are likely to encounter in college or in their careers. The program addresses the needs of students at all levels—and in particular those who may have struggled in previous algebra courses—offering an abundance of examples and exercises that reinforce concepts and make learning more dynamic. The early introduction of functions in Chapter 1 ensures compatibility with syllabi and provides a framework for student learning. Optional Discovery and Exploration activities are integrated throughout the text; instructors can also opt to use graphing technology as a tool for problem solving and review or retention. This Enhanced Edition includes instant access to Enhanced WebAssign®, the most widely-used and reliable homework system. Enhanced WebAssign® presents over a thousand problems, links to relevant textbook sections, video examples, problem-specific tutorials, and more, that help students grasp the concepts needed to succeed in this course. As an added bonus, the Start Smart Guide has been bound into this text. This guide contains instructions to help students learn the basics of WebAssign quickly.
- CL MATHSpace encompasses the interactive online products and services integrated with Cengage Learning mathematics programs. Ready-to-use content can be accessed through text-specific Student and Instructor Websites and via course management systems. For optimal instruction and learning, CL MATHSpace Homework Powered by WebAssign allows instructors to create assignments from a database of algorithmic questions based on end-of-section exercises.
- This Enhanced Edition includes instant access to Enhanced WebAssign®, the most widely-used and reliable homework system. Enhanced WebAssign® presents over a thousand problems, links to relevant textbook sections, video examples, problem-specific tutorials, and more, that help students grasp the concepts needed to succeed in this course. As an added bonus, the Start Smart Guide has been bound into this text. This guide contains instructions to help students learn the basics of WebAssign quickly.
- Make a Decision multi-step exercises with open-ended questions reinforce students' problem-solving skills by taking real-life applications further, testing what students know about a given problem and prompting them to make decisions within the context of that problem.
- Business Capsules focus on business situations at actual companies, while Extended Applications—available online—require students to work with large data sets in depth, often creating or analyzing models.
- Discovery activities provide opportunities for students to use techniques such as visualization and modeling to develop their intuitive understanding of concepts.
- Chapter Projects extend the applications featured at the beginning of the chapter and guide students through a set of multi-part exercises using modeling, graphing, and critical thinking skills to analyze data.
R1. FUNDAMENTAL CONCEPTS OF ALGEBRA
Real Numbers: Order and Absolute Value. The Basic Rules of Algebra. Integer Exponents. Radicals and Rational Exponents. Polynomials and Special Products. Factoring. Fractional Expressions.
R2. EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES.
Linear Equations. Mathematical Modeling. Quadratic Equations. The Quadratic Formula. Other Types of Equations. Linear Inequalities. Other Types of Inequalities. Cumulative Test: Chapters R1-R2.
1. FUNCTIONS AND GRAPHS.
Graphs of Equations. Lines in the Plane. Linear Modeling and Direct Variation. Functions. Graphs of Functions. Transformations of Functions. The Algebra of Functions. Inverse Functions.
2. Polynomial and Rational Functions
Quadratic Functions and Models. Polynomial Functions of Higher Degree. Polynomial Division. Real Zeros of Polynomial Functions. Complex Numbers. The Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. Rational Functions.
3. EXPONENTIAL AND LOGARITHMIC FUNCTIONS.
Exponential Functions. Logarithmic Functions. Properties of Logarithms. Solving Exponential and Logarithmic Equations. Exponential and Logarithmic Models. Cumulative Test: Chapters 1-3
4. SYSTEMS OF EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES.
Solving Linear Systems using Substitution. Solving Linear Systems using Elimination. Linear Systems in Three or More Variables. Systems of Inequalities. Linear Programming (Optional Topic).
5. MATRICES AND DETERMINANTS.
Matrices and Linear Systems. Operations with Matrices. The Inverse of a Square Matrix. The Determinant of a Square Matrix. Applications of Matrices and Determinants.
6. SEQUENCES, SERIES, AND PROBABILITY.
Sequences and Summation Notation. Arithmetic Sequences and Series. Geometric Sequences and Series. The Binomial Theorem. Counting Principles. Probability. Mathematical Induction (Optional Topic). Cumulative Test: Chapters 4-6
Appendix An Introduction to Graphing Utilities.
Appendix B Conic Sections.
Conic Sections. Conic Sections and Translations.
Appendix C Further Concepts in Statistics (web/CD only).
Data and Linear Modeling. Measures of Central Tendency and Dispersion.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
This CD-ROM (or DVD) provides the instructor with dynamic media tools for teaching. Easily build solution sets for homework or exams using Solution Builder's online solutions manual. Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides and figures from the book are also included on this CD-ROM (or DVD).
Complete Solutions Manual
Student Solutions Manual
Contains fully worked-out solutions to all of the odd-numbered exercises in the text, giving students a way to check their answers and ensure that they took the correct steps to arrive at an answer.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Complement your text and course content with study and practice materials. Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
Student Solutions Manual
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.