Request for consultation
Known for a clear and concise exposition, numerous examples, and plentiful problem sets, Jerome E. Kaufmann and Karen L. Schwitters's COLLEGE ALGEBRA is an easy-to-use book that focuses on building technique and helping students hone their problem-solving skills. The eighth edition focuses on solving equations, inequalities, and problems; and on developing graphing techniques and using the concept of a function. Updated with new application problems and examples throughout, the eighth edition is accompanied by a robust collection of teaching and learning resources, including Enhanced WebAssign®, an easy-to-use online homework management system for both instructors and students.
- Classroom Examples: For every example in the text, there is an associated classroom example problem similar to the example problem. Answers to the classroom example problems are furnished in the Annotated Instructor's Edition but not in the Student's Edition. These classroom examples provide an excellent source of an additional problem to further the understanding of the example presented.
- Chapter summaries: Chapter Summaries have taken on an entirely new look. The summaries are presented in a grid fashion by objectives. Each row contains the objective, pertinent information summarizing that objective, and an example problem with solution for that objective.
- Objectives. Each section begins with a numbered list of objectives for that section. Then in the Problem Set following that section, groups of problems are identified by section objections.
- A Chapter test appears at the end of each chapter to give students ample opportunity to prepare for their exams.
- Cumulative Review Problem Sets appear at the ends of Chapter 2-8 to ensure that students retain the concepts of earlier chapters.
- Problems called "Thoughts into Words" are included in all problems sets except the review exercises. These problems are designed to encourage students to express, in written form, their thoughts about various mathematical ideas.
- Problem solving is an integral part of this text, as is recommended by the standards produced by NCTM and AMATYC. With problem solving as its focus, Chapter 1 pulls together and expands on a variety of approaches to solving equations and inequalities. Polya's four-phase plan is used as a basis for developing various problem solving strategies. Applications of radical equations are a part of Section 1.5, and applications of slope are in Section 2.3. Functions are introduced in Chapter 3 and are immediately used to solve problems. Exponential and logarithmic functions become problem-solving tools in Chapter 5. Systems of equations provide more problem solving power in Chapter 6. Problem solving is the unifying theme of Chapter 9.
- The Enhanced WebAssign component will include approximately 2500 homework questions and a YouBook.
Some Basic Ideas. Exponents. Polynomials. Factoring Polynomials. Rational Expressions. Radicals. Relationship Between Exponents and Roots. Complex Numbers. Chapter 0 Summary. Chapter 0 Review Problem Set. Chapter 0 Test.
1. EQUATIONS, INEQUALITIES, AND PROBLEM SOLVING.
Linear Equations and Problem Solving. More Equations and Applications. Quadratic Equations. Applications of Linear and Quadratic Equations. Miscellaneous Equations. Inequalities. Quadratic and Rational Inequalities. Absolute Value Equations and Inequalities. Chapter 1 Summary. Chapter 1 Review Problem Set. Chapter 1 Test.
2. COORDINATE GEOMETRY AND GRAPHING TECHNIQUES.
Coordinate Geometry. Graphing Techniques: Linear Equations and Inequalities. Determining the Equation of a Li ne. More on Graphing. Circles, Ellipses, and Hyperbolas. Chapter 1 Summary. Chapter 1 Review Problem Set. Chapter 1 Test. Cumulative Review Problem Set (Chapters 0-2).
Concept of a Function. Linear Functions and Applications. Quadratic Equations. Transformations of Some Basic Curves. Combining Functions. Direct and Inverse Variation. Chapter 3 Summary. Chapter 3 Review Problem Set. Chapter 3 Test. Cumulative Review Problem Set (Chapters 0-3).
4. POLYNOMIAL AND RATIONAL FUNCTIONS.
Dividing Polynomials and Synthetic Division. Remainder and factor Theorems. Polynomial Equations. Graphing Polynomial Functions. Graphing Rational Functions. More on Graphing Rational Functions. Chapter 4 Summary. Chapter 4 Review Problem Set. Chapter 4 Test.
Cumulative Review Problem Set (Chapters 0-4).
5. EXPONENTIAL AND LOGARITHMIC FUNCTIONS.
Exponents and Exponential Functions. Applications of Exponential Functions. Inverse Functions. Logarithms. Logarithmic Functions. Exponential Equations, Logarithmic Equations, and Problem Solving. Chapter 5 Summary. Chapter 5 Review Problem Set. Chapter 5 Test. Cumulative Review Problem Set (Chapters 0-5).
6. SYSTEMS OF EQUATIONS.
Systems of Two Linear Equations in Two Variables. Systems of Three Linear Equations in Three Variables. Matrix Approach to Solving Linear Systems. Determinants. Cramer's Rule. Partial Fractions. Chapter 6 Summary. Chapter 6 Review Problem Set. Chapter 6 Test. Cumulative Review Problem Set (Chapters 0-6).
7. ALGEBRA OF MATRICES.
Algebra of 2 x 2 Matrices. Multiplicative Inverses. m x n Matrices. Systems of Linear Inequalities: Linear Programming. Chapter 7 Summary. Chapter 7 Review Problem Set. Chapter 7 Test. Cumulative Review Problem Set (Chapters 0-7).
8. CONIC SECTIONS.
Parabolas. Ellipses. Hyperbolas. Systems Involving Nonlinear Equations. Chapter 8 Summary. Chapter 8 Review Problem Set. Chapter 8 Test. Cumulative Review Problem Set (Chapters 0-8).
9. SEQUENCES AND MATHEMATICAL INDUCTION.
Arithmetic Sequences. Geometric Sequences. Another Look at Problem Solving. Mathematical Induction. Chapter 9 Summary. Chapter 9 Review Problem Set. Chapter 9 Test.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
The test bank includes test forms for each section of the text.
Complete Solutions Manual
The complete Solutions Manual includes solutions for every problem in the text.
PowerLecture with ExamView®
This CD-ROM (or DVD) provides the instructor with dynamic media tools for teaching. Create, deliver, and customize tests (both print and online) in minutes with ExamView® Computerized Testing Featuring Algorithmic Equations. Easily build solution sets for homework or exams using Solution Builder's online solutions manual. Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides and figures from the book are also included on this CD-ROM (or DVD).
These text-specific instructional videos provide students with visual reinforcement of concepts and explanations given in easy-to-understand terms with detailed examples and sample problems. A flexible format offers versatility for quickly accessing topics or catering lectures to self-paced, online, or hybrid courses. Closed captioning is provided for the hearing impaired.
Student Solutions Manual
Contains fully worked-out solutions to all of the odd-numbered exercises in the text, giving students a way to check their answers and ensure that they took the correct steps to arrive at an answer.
Student Solutions Manual