Request for consultation
Clearly written and focused for success, the Twelfth Edition of Gustafson and Hughes’ popular book, COLLEGE ALGEBRA, provides in-depth and precise coverage, incorporated into a framework of tested teaching strategy. The authors combine carefully selected pedagogical features and patient explanations to give students a book that preserves the integrity of mathematics, yet does not discourage them with material that is confusing or too rigorous. Long respected for its ability to help students quickly master difficult problems, this book also helps them develop the skills they’ll need in future courses and in everyday life. Retaining the mathematical precision instructors have come to expect, the authors have focused on making this new edition more modern to better illustrate to students the importance of math in their world.
- HELPFUL STRATEGIES FOR STUDYING AND LEARNING CONTENT. Tip boxes appear throughout the textbook, with many providing a visual representative of the tip to help students remember it.
- ADDITIONAL INSIGHTS INTO SPECIFIC CONTENT. Take Note boxes highlight important information in the book. The noteworthy statements often provide clarification on a specific step or concept in an example and emphasize theory which can be overlooked.
- CRITICAL THINKING EXERCISES. These exercises encourage algebraic thinking and assess conceptual understanding. These exercises are primarily true or false. If a statement is false, students are then asked to make the necessary change to produce a true statement.
- CUMULATIVE REVIEWS: To reinforce student learning and improve student retention of concepts, Cumulative Review Exercises appear after every two chapters. These comprehensive reviews revisit all the essential topics covered in prior chapters.
- CAREERS IN MATHEMATICS CHAPTER OPENERS: To encourage students to explore careers that use mathematics and make a connection between math and real life, each chapter opens with Careers in Mathematics. New, exciting careers are showcased in this edition. Featuring information taken primarily from the Occupational Outlook Handbook, these snapshots include information on how professionals use math in their work and who employs them. A web address is provided, allowing students to learn more about the career.
- COLLEGE ALGEBRA, Twelfth Edition, is fully supported by WebAssign (EWA), the powerful online homework and course management system that engages students in learning the math. WebAssign includes new end-of-chapter exercises, animated simulations, and pre-built assignments vetted by trusted subject matter experts along with robust course, section, assignment, and question settings and online testing to help instructors foster a deeper understanding of course concepts.
- NUMBERED OBJECTIVES: Numbered learning objectives, which are listed at the beginning of each section and appear as subheadings in the section, keep students focused.
- SELF CHECKS: Each example is followed immediately by a Self-Check exercise that actively reinforces student understanding of concepts and example solutions. The answers for students are offered at the end of each section. To assist instructors, the answers appear next to the problem in the Annotated Instructor's Edition, printed in blue.
- GETTING READY EXERCISES: Each problem set begins with Getting Ready exercises, which test students' understanding of concepts and proper use of mathematical vocabulary. Students should be able to answer these fill-in-the blank questions before moving on to the Practice exercises.
- COMPREHENSIVE EXERCISE SETS: The book contains more than 4,000 exercises, many new, to improve mathematical skills and cement understanding. The exercise sets--which include Getting Ready, Practice, Application, Discovery and Writing, and Review problems--progress from routine to more challenging. The mathematics in each exercise set is sound, but not so rigorous that it will confuse students.
- CHAPTER REVIEWS AND CHAPTER TESTS: Each chapter closes with a Chapter Review and Chapter Test, giving students the best opportunity for study and exam preparation. Chapter Reviews are comprehensive and consist of three parts: definitions and concepts, examples, and review exercises. Chapter Tests cover all the important topics and yet are brief enough to emulate a "real-time" test, so students can practice not only the math but also their test-taking aptitude. As an additional quick reference, endpapers offer the important formulas and graphs developed in the book.
Sets of Real Numbers. Integer Exponents and Scientific Notation. Rational Exponents and Radicals. Polynomials. Factoring Polynomials. Rational Expressions.
1. EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES.
Linear Equations and Rational Equations. Applications of Linear Equations. Complex Numbers. Quadratic Equations. Applications of Quadratic Equations. Other Types of Equations. Inequalities. Absolute Value. 2. FUNCTIONS AND GRAPHS.
Functions and Functional Notation. Rectangular Coordinate System and Graphing Lines. Linear Functions and Slope. Writing and Graphing Equations of Lines. Graphs of Equations and Circles. Proportion and Variation. 3. FUNCTIONS.
Graphs of Functions. Transformations of the Graphs of Functions. Piecewise-Defined Functions and Greatest-Integer Functions. Operations on Functions. Inverse functions.
4. POLYNOMIAL AND RATIONAL FUNCTIONS.
Quadratic Functions. Polynomial Functions. Synthetic Division; Remainder and Factor Theorems. Decartes’ Rule of Signs and the Intermediate Value Theorem. Zeros of Polynomial Functions. Rational Functions. 5. EXPONENTIAL AND LOGARITHMIC FUNCTIONS.
Exponential Functions and Their Graphs. Applications of Exponential Functions. Logarithmic Functions and Their Graphs. Applications of Logarithmic Functions. Properties of Logarithms. Exponential and Logarithmic Equations.
6. LINEAR SYSTEMS.
Systems of Linear Equations. Gaussian Elimination and Matrix Methods. Matrix Algebra. Matrix Inversion. Determinants. Partial Fractions. Graphs of Inequalities. Linear Programming. 7. CONIC SECTIONS AND QUADRATIC SYSTEMS.
The Circle and the Parabola. The Ellipse. The Hyperbola. Solving Nonlinear Systems of Equations. 8. SEQUENCES, SERIES, AND PROBABILITY.
The Binomial Theorem. Sequences, Series, and Summation Notation. Arithmetic Sequences. Geometric Sequences. Mathematical Induction. Permutations and Combinations. Probability.
APPENDIX I A PROOF OF THE BINOMIAL THEOREM.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
College Algebra, 11th: Complete Solutions Manual
This manual contains solutions to all exercises from the text, including Chapter Review Exercises, Chapter Tests, and Cumulative Review Exercises.
College Algebra, 11th: Test Bank
The test bank includes six tests per chapter as well as three final exams. The tests are made up of a combination of multiple-choice, free-response, true/false, and fill-in-the-blank questions.
These text-specific instructional videos provide students with visual reinforcement of concepts and explanations, in easy-to-understand terms with detailed examples and sample problems. A flexible format offers versatility for quickly accessing topics or catering lectures to self-paced, online, or hybrid courses. Closed captioning is provided for the hearing impaired.
College Algebra, 11th: PowerLecture CD-ROM with ExamView Test Generator
This CD-ROM (or DVD) provides the instructor with dynamic media tools for teaching, including Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides and figures from the book. Create, deliver, and customize tests (both print and online) in minutes with ExamView® Computerized Testing Featuring Algorithmic Equations. Easily build solution sets for homework or exams by using the link to Solution Builder's online solutions manual.
Student Solutions Manual
Contains fully worked-out solutions to all of the odd-numbered exercises in the text, giving students a way to check their answers and ensure that they took the correct steps to arrive at an answer.
Student Solutions Manual