Request for consultation
Clearly written and comprehensive, the eleventh edition of Gustafson and Hughes' popular book, COLLEGE ALGEBRA, provides in-depth and precise coverage, incorporated into a framework of tested teaching strategy. The authors combine carefully selected pedagogical features and patient explanations to give students a book that preserves the integrity of mathematics, yet does not discourage them with material that is confusing or too rigorous. Long respected for its ability to help students quickly master difficult problems, this book also helps them develop the skills they'll need in future courses and in everyday life. Retaining the mathematical precision instructors have come to expect, the authors have focused on making this new edition more modern to better illustrate to students the importance of math in their world.
- STRATEGY BOXES: To enable students to build on their mathematical reasoning and approach problems with confidence, Strategy boxes offer problem-solving techniques and steps at appropriate points in the material.
- CAUTION BOXES: Caution boxes appear throughout the text to alert students to common errors and misunderstandings, and reinforce correct mathematics.
- NOW TRY EXERCISES: A reference to a Now Try exercise follows all Examples and Self Check problems, providing students an additional opportunity to assess their understanding of the concept related to each worked example. These references also show students a correspondence between the examples in the book and the exercise sets.
- TITLED EXAMPLES: Descriptive titles have been added to clearly identify the topic and purpose of each example.
- DESIGN: Color is used to highlight and differentiate definition boxes, property and theorem boxes, and strategy boxes--helping to categorize information for students and making it easier to absorb and remember.
- EXAMPLE STRUCTURE: To help students gain a deeper understanding of how to solve each problem, solutions to examples begin with a stated approach. The examples are engaging, and step-by-step solutions with annotations are provided.
- APPLICATION EXAMPLES: Applications from a wide range of disciplines demonstrate how mathematics is used to solve real problems, answering the student question, "When will I ever use this math?" These applications, many accompanied by an eye-catching photo, motivate the material and help students become better problem solvers.
- SELF CHECKS: Each example is followed immediately by a Self Check exercise that actively reinforces student understanding of concepts and example solutions. The answers for students are offered at the end of each section. To assist instructors, the answers appear next to the problem in the Annotated Instructor's Edition, printed in blue.
- COMMENTS: Comment boxes appear throughout the textbook, providing additional insights; for instance, clarification on a specific step or concept in an example, or a tip for studying the material.
- ACCENTS ON TECHNOLOGY AND CALCULATORS: Accents on Technology appear throughout the textbook to encourage students to become intelligent users of technology and grasp concepts graphically. They illustrate and guide the use of a TI-84 graphing calculator for specific problems. Although graphing calculators are incorporated into the book, their use is not required. All graphing topics are fully discussed in traditional ways.
- GETTING READY EXERCISES: Each problem set begins with Getting Ready exercises, which test students' understanding of concepts and proper use of mathematical vocabulary. Students should be able to answer these fill-in-the blank questions before moving on to the Practice exercises.
- COMPREHENSIVE EXERCISE SETS: The book contains more than 4,000 exercises, many new, to improve mathematical skills and cement understanding. The exercise sets--which include Getting Ready, Practice, Application, Discovery and Writing, and Review problems--progress from routine to more challenging. The mathematics in each exercise set is sound, but not so rigorous that it will confuse students.
- INTERESTING AND CONTEMPORARY APPLICATION EXERCISES: To continue the emphasis on solving problems through realistic applications, new application exercises have been added and others updated. All application problems have titles.
- CHAPTER REVIEWS AND CHAPTER TESTS: Each chapter closes with a Chapter Review and Chapter Test, giving students the best opportunity for study and exam preparation. Chapter Reviews are comprehensive and consist of three parts: definitions and concepts, examples, and review exercises. Chapter Tests cover all the important topics and yet are brief enough to emulate a "real-time" test, so students can practice not only the math but also their test-taking aptitude. As an additional quick reference, endpapers offer the important formulas and graphs developed in the book.
- CUMULATIVE REVIEWS: To reinforce student learning and improve student retention of concepts, Cumulative Review Exercises appear after every two chapters. These comprehensive reviews revisit all the essential topics covered in prior chapters.
- STUDENT-FRIENDLY WRITING STYLE: Clear, concise, and friendly exposition helps to alleviate student anxiety about reading a mathematics textbook. The writing is informal yet accurate. Students and instructors alike should find the reading both interesting and inviting.
- CAREERS IN MATHEMATICS CHAPTER OPENERS: To encourage students to explore careers that use mathematics and make a connection between math and real life, each chapter opens with Careers in Mathematics. New, exciting careers are showcased in this edition. Featuring information taken primarily from the Occupational Outlook Handbook, these snapshots include information on how professionals use math in their work and who employs them. A web address is provided, allowing students to learn more about the career.
- SECTION OPENERS: To pique interest and motivate students to read the material, each section begins with a contemporary photo and a real-life application that will appeal to students of varied interests.
- NUMBERED OBJECTIVES: Numbered learning objectives, which are listed at the beginning of each section and appear as subheadings in the section, keep students focused.
Sets of Real Numbers. Integer Exponents and Scientific Notation. Rational Exponents and Radicals. Polynomials. Factoring Polynomials. Rational Expressions. Chapter Review. Chapter Test.
1. EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES.
Linear Equations and Rational Equations. Applications of Linear Equations. Quadratic Equations. Applications of Quadratic Equations. Complex Numbers. Polynomial and Radical Equations. Inequalities. Absolute Value. Chapter Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review Exercises.
2. THE RECTANGULAR COORDINATE SYSTEM AND GRAPHS OF EQUATIONS.
The Rectangular Coordinate System. The Slope of a Nonvertical Line. Writing Equations of Lines. Graphs of Equations. Proportion and Variation. Chapter Review. Chapter Test.
Functions and Function Notation. Quadratic Functions. Polynomial and Other Functions. Transformation of Functions. Rational Functions. Operations on Functions. Inverse Functions.
Chapter Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review Exercises.
4. EXPONENTIAL AND LOGARITHMIC FUNCTIONS.
Exponential Functions and Their Graphs. Applications of Exponential Functions. Logarithmic Functions and Their Graphs. Applications of Logarithmic Functions. Properties of Logarithms. Exponential and Logarithmic Equations. Chapter Review. Chapter Test.
5. SOLVING POLYNOMIAL EQUATIONS.
The Remainder and Factor Theorems; Synthetic Division. Descartes' Rule of Signs and Bounds on Roots. Roots of Polynomial Equations. Approximating Irrational Roots of Polynomial Equations. Chapter Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review Exercises.
6. LINEAR SYSTEMS.
Systems of Linear Equations. Gaussian Elimination and Matrix Methods. Matrix Algebra. Matrix Inversion. Determinants. Partial Fractions. Graphs of Linear Inequalities. Linear Programming. Chapter Review. Chapter Test.
7. CONIC SECTIONS AND QUADRATIC SYSTEMS.
The Circle and the Parabola. The Ellipse. The Hyperbola. Solving Problems Using Nonlinear Systems of Equations. Chapter Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review Exercises.
8. NATURAL NUMBER FUNCTIONS AND PROBABILITY.
The Binomial Theorem. Sequences, Series, and Summation Notation. Arithmetic Sequences. Geometric Sequences. Mathematical Induction. Permutations and Combinations. Probability. Chapter Review. Chapter Test.
9. MATHEMATICS OF FINANCE (online).
Interest. Annuities and Future Value. Present Value of an Annuity; Amortization. Linear Programming. Chapter Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review Exercises.
Appendix I: A PROOF OF THE BINOMIAL THEOREM.
Appendix II: TABLES.
Powers and Roots. Base-10 Logarithms. Base-e Logarithms.
Appendix III: ANSWERS TO SELECTED EXERCISES (in Student Edition only).
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
College Algebra, 11th: Complete Solutions Manual
This manual contains solutions to all exercises from the text, including Chapter Review Exercises, Chapter Tests, and Cumulative Review Exercises.
College Algebra, 11th: Test Bank
The test bank includes six tests per chapter as well as three final exams. The tests are made up of a combination of multiple-choice, free-response, true/false, and fill-in-the-blank questions.
These text-specific instructional videos provide students with visual reinforcement of concepts and explanations, in easy-to-understand terms with detailed examples and sample problems. A flexible format offers versatility for quickly accessing topics or catering lectures to self-paced, online, or hybrid courses. Closed captioning is provided for the hearing impaired.
College Algebra, 11th: PowerLecture CD-ROM with ExamView Test Generator
This CD-ROM (or DVD) provides the instructor with dynamic media tools for teaching, including Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides and figures from the book. Create, deliver, and customize tests (both print and online) in minutes with ExamView® Computerized Testing Featuring Algorithmic Equations. Easily build solution sets for homework or exams by using the link to Solution Builder's online solutions manual.
Student Solutions Manual
Contains fully worked-out solutions to all of the odd-numbered exercises in the text, giving students a way to check their answers and ensure that they took the correct steps to arrive at an answer.
Student Solutions Manual