Request for consultation
Expanded and Revised, LEADING THE WAY: THE BUSY NURSE'S GUIDE TO SUPERVISION IN LONG-TERM CARE, 3rd Edition gives charge nurses and supervisors the tools they need to experience and create success in any long-term care environment. This easy-to-read handbook applies proven methods from the latest research, and covers everything from mentoring and motivating employees to dealing with job stress and ethical dilemmas. Succinct yet thorough, LEADING THE WAY: THE BUSY NURSE'S GUIDE TO SUPERVISION IN LONG-TERM CARE, 3rd Edition delivers the essentials of management and leadership, such as team building, communication, staff development, performance issues, and organization, all with a specific, long-term care focus. New discussions on effectively managing conflict, diffusing tension with humor, and achieving work/life balance make this always-popular text even more useful for nurses, nursing assistants, and students everywhere.
- Building an Effective Team: An all-new section in this chapter helps staff from all levels learn to collaborate more effectively. Staff will discover how to focus on creating task-specific teams to facilitate problem-solving using a proven 6-step process.
- Stragtegies for Staff Development: This all-new chapter reviews formal and informal methods of training staff, including technological options, role-playing, case studies, group discussions and demonstrations. The authors also provide proven tips for making in-service sessions engaging and successful!
- Helpful Stress Relievers: In this revised chapter, the authors tackle the important issue of stress reduction and suggest ways for supervisors to manage stress and help employees do the same. Additionally, a new chapter on Therapeutic Humor in the Workplace points out when a good laugh can relieve stress, diffuse conflicts, and make the workplace more enjoyable.
- Positive Performance Management: This new chapter on performance management expands the topic and provides an overview of how to improve employee performance, conduct performance reviews, and implement corrective actions.
- Insightful Ethical Discussions: Ethical dilemmas are common in long-term care nursing, which is why the 3rd Edition addresses the topic head-on, and equips readers with proven tactics for handling complex and sensitive situations.
- Expansive Resources: Now included in the appendix, the new Resources for Further Exploration section includes lists of helpful books, journals, and Web sites for use in employee supervision and development.
- Succinct and Reader-Friendly: Honing in on the needs of busy nurses, the book's easy-to-read, to-the-point format also includes a healthy dose of light-hearted humor.
- Expert Author: Long-time writer and publisher Karl Pillemer has helped thousands of nursing students and supervisors improve their management techniques and potentials with this popular, one-of-a-kind guide.
- Long-Term Care Focus: Written expressly for current and future nursing professionals in long-term care facilities—providing very specific suggestions, techniques, and situations not found in generic nursing titles.
2. Building an Effective Team.
3. Communication: The Secret of Successful Supervision.
4. Setting an Example: Coaching and Mentoring.
5. Strategies for Staff Development.
7. Managing and Organizing for Success.
8. Recognition Equals High Morale.
9. Dealing with Conflict.
10. Helping Staff Achieve Work/Life Balance.
11. Dealing with Your Job Stress.
12. Humor in the Workplace.
13. Making Diversity Work.
14. Performance Management.
15. Professional Ethics.