Request for consultation
More than ever before, medical assistants today must perform complex tasks, possess strong computer and patient screening skills, and communicate effectively with patients and other medical professionals. CLINICAL MEDICAL ASSISTING: A PROFESSIONAL, FIELD SMART APPROACH TO THE WORKPLACE, Second Edition, gives readers the confidence to succeed in this demanding profession by thinking on a higher level, developing critical problem-solving skills, and mastering the necessary clinical competencies and technical skills. Newly organized for greater effectiveness, the Second Edition of this unique text includes new chapters on Clinical Trends in Health Care, Health Coaching and Patient Navigation, and Specialty Procedures. The new edition is also aligned and mapped to current ABHES standards and the newly approved 2015 CAAHEP standards. The text’s practical, toolbox approach, combined with in-depth electronic medical records training, will help readers begin their journey to becoming successful, professional clinical medical assistants.
- In addition to being aligned and mapped to current ABHES standards and the newly approved 2015 CAAHEP standards, the Second Edition has been reorganized for greater effectiveness, focusing on the latest trends in health care and the medical assistant’s role in affordable care organizations.
- The Second Edition includes several new chapters providing detailed coverage of important current topics in the field, including clinical trends in health care, health coaching and patient navigation, and specialty procedures.
- Each chapter includes a “Professionalism Mentor” feature, written by a nurse manager of clinical development for Ohio Health Physician’s Group, which explores how relevant professionalism keys introduced in chapter 1 correlate with chapter material.
- New “Solve the Case” activities open and conclude each chapter, encouraging readers to think critically about the content and consider the real-world applications of key concepts.
- The author has updated content and visuals throughout the text, expanding and redesigning all systems chapters to help readers think and perform at a higher level, as well as adding more than 100 new photos to showcase the latest technology and techniques they are likely to encounter as working professionals.
- A detailed guide mapping text content to the ABHES and 2015 CAAHEP standards is available on the Instructor Companion Website, making it easier to align reading and course activities to current professional standards.
- The author introduces and reinforces the uses of EHR technology throughout the text, focusing on electronic charting and electronic medical records in order to give readers a solid grounding in these essential elements of modern medical assisting.
- In addition to breaking down even complex material for easier understanding, step-by-step procedures include rationales for each action, visual illustrations, progress note documentation samples, and behavioral components required for successful completion.
- Feature boxes integrated within each chapter highlight real-world topics important for professional success as a medical assistant, such as field smarts, electronic medical records, critical thinking, patient education, and more.
- The end of each chapter includes a Certification Review quiz with 10 multiple-choice questions that cover chapter material in the style of medical assistant certification exams, providing valuable preparation for readers interested in becoming certified.
2. Clinical Trends in Health Care.
3. The Complete Medical Record.
4. Fundamentals of Documentation.
5. Conducting a Patient Interview.
6. Assisting Patients with Special Needs.
7. Patient Navigation and Health Coaching.
8. Principles of Infection Control.
9. Sterilization Procedures, Instrument Identification, and Surgical Supplies.
10. Assisting with Minor Surgeries.
11. Vital Signs and Measurements.
12. The Physical Exam.
13. Eye and Ear Examinations and Procedures.
14. Cardiovascular Exams and Procedures.
15. Pulmonary Examinations and Procedures.
16. Gastrointestinal Exams and Procedures.
17. Women’s Health Issues: Obstetrics and Gynecology.
18. Urology and Male Reproductive Examinations and Procedures.
19. Other Specialty Procedures.
20. Diet and Nutrition
21. Evaluation and Care of the Pediatric Patient.
22. Orthopedics, Rehabilitation, and Physical Therapy.
23. Fundamentals of the Medical Laboratory.
24. Blood Collection Techniques.
26. Hematology and Coagulation Studies.
28. Clinical Chemistry and CLIA Waived Testing.
29. Diagnostic Imaging.
30. Fundamentals of Pharmacology.
31. Dosage Calculations.
32. Administration of Parenteral Medications.
33. Responding to Medical Office Emergencies.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor’s Companion Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint® presentations, the instructor’s manual, test banks, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
The student workbook is designed to help students retain key chapter content. Included within this resource are chapter objective questions; key-term definition queries; and multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, and true-or-false problems.
The student workbook is designed to help you retain key chapter content. Included within this resource are chapter objective questions; key-term definition queries; and multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, and true-or-false problems.