Request for consultation
Created through a "student-tested, faculty-approved" review process, CJ3 is an engaging and accessible solution to accommodate the diverse lifestyles of today's learners at a value-based price. Widely respected in both academia and law enforcement, authors Gaines and Miller deliver solid coverage in an innovative format that is ideal for the needs of today's tech-savvy, on-the-go learners. Appealing to a broad range of learning styles, CJ3 also includes a full suite of unique learning tools, including quizzes, games, videos, flashcards, and more--all just a click away. The result is a book that is much more engaging and manageable for today's criminal justice students than other texts.
- The most significant change to this edition is the dramatically streamlined organization--featuring a reduction in the number of chapters from 17 to 14--which is better suited to what can typically be covered in a one-term course.
- A new end-of-chapter review section plus unique "You Be the [profession]" boxes, such as "You Be the Police Officer" or "You Be the Parole Officer," provide students with opportunities to test and apply their understanding of chapter concepts.
- A new emphasis on social media throughout the text--via marginal insets as well as "Social Media Tips" enhancements to the Careers boxes--keeps students on the cutting edge.
- Every 4LTR Press solution comes complete with an engaging print textbook, tear-out review cards, an interactive digital solution (CourseMate), and an eBook--all of which were directly influenced by student focus groups and surveys as well as interviews with faculty and students.
- Shorter, comprehensive chapters in a modern design present content in a more engaging and accessible format without minimizing coverage for your course.
- Tear-out Review Cards at the back of the Student Editions provide students a portable study tool containing all of the pertinent information for class preparation.
- Instructor Prep Cards at the back of the Instructor's Edition make preparation simple. These detachable cards for each chapter offer a quick map of chapter content, a list of corresponding PowerPoint® and video resources, additional examples, and suggested assignments and discussion questions to help you organize chapter content efficiently.
- Every 4LTR Press solution comes with CourseMate, the interactive digital component that offers a full suite of unique learning tools that appeal to different learning styles. Quizzes, flashcards, videos, and more are only a click away.
- CJ3 offers all of the content and resources you expect with a supplements package that is second to none, including an Online Instructor's Manual and Test Bank as well as the PowerLecture™ presentation tool on CD/DVD.
1. Criminal Justice Today.
2. The Crime Picture: Theories and Trends
3. Inside Criminal Law.
Part II: THE POLICE AND LAW ENFORCEMENT.
4. Law Enforcement Today.
5. Problems and Solutions in Modern Policing.
6. Police and the Constitution: The Rule of Law Enforcement.
Part III: CRIMINAL COURTS.
7. Courts and the Quest for Justice.
8. Pretrial Procedures and the Criminal Trial.
9. Punishment and Sentencing.
Part IV: CORRECTIONS.
10. Probation, Parole, and Intermediate Sanctions.
11. Prisons and Jails.
12. Behind Bars: The Life of an Inmate.
Part V: SPECIAL ISSUES.
13. The Juvenile Justice System.
14. Today’s Challenges in Criminal Justice.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, test banks, instructor’s manual, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want. Every question has undergone a series of accuracy checks and anti-piracy reviews, as well as a multi-point inspection to remove weak question options (e.g. all answers are correct), sharpen ambiguous questions, and ensure balanced coverage of major course concepts, difficulty levels, and Bloom’s Taxonomy. The test bank questions form the basis for the assessments in the CJ 4 Online product, and are different from the Practice Quizzes available for students.