Request for consultation
CIVIL LITIGATION, 6th edition enables aspiring paralegals to quickly grasp the principles of litigation practice through practical, hands-on instruction. The Sixth Edition has been updated to include all recent advances in legal practice, including the use of electronically stored information (ESI) and e-forensics in the discovery process. Updates to federal rules and procedures keep the Sixth Edition current and give the reader the most up-to-date information available. In addition, each chapter in CIVIL LITIGATION, 6th edition includes an exercise that focuses on a single case, giving the reader the opportunity to work it from beginning to end, simulating an on-the-job experience. Plus, the Sixth Edition contains a number of sample legal documents, such as complaints, interrogatories and deposition summaries, as well as legal vocabulary indexes. Every chapter focuses briefly on the impact of technology on the litigation field, and also contains useful references to litigation-focused websites.
- This edition prepares readers even better by including the latest changes to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure (especially Rule 502 which was recently added to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure), the rules dealing with E-Discovery, e-forensics in discovery, electronically stored information (ESI), and electronic filing.
- Additional charts, diagrams, checklists, and forms give readers more resources.
- Entirely updated technology information including updated "Finding It on the Internet" feature enables readers to be on the cutting edge of paralegal practice. Updates have also been made to discuss newer technology on texting and scanning in relation to document requests and discovery.
- Paralegal CourseMate with additional learning tools and an interactive eBook.
- Numerous sample documents introduce readers to the materials they will be using, reviewing, and preparing as legal professionals.
- See how it all fits together with abundant step-by-step teaching sequences that break down the paralegal's role in litigation into manageable pieces of information.
- Practical exercises and projects give readers the opportunity to develop paralegal skills and see how litigation relates to various areas of law practice.
- Ripped-from-the-headlines case commentaries put textbook material into practical context.
1. Litigation and the Paralegal.
2. The Courts and Jurisdiction.
Part II: INITIATING LITIGATION.
3. Preliminary Considerations and Procedures.
4. Investigation and Evidence.
5. The Complaint.
6. Responses to the Complaint.
7. Motion Practice.
Part III: DISCOVERY.
8. Overview of the Discovery Process.
11. Physical and Mental Examinations.
12. Request for Documents.
13. Request for Admission.
Part IV: PRETRIAL, TRIAL, AND POSTTRIAL.
14. Settlements, Dismissals, and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
15. Trial Techniques.
16. Posttrial Practice.
Appendix A: Sample Deposition.
Appendix B: Bennett Research File.