Request for consultation
This latest edition of CHEMISTRY: PRINCIPLES AND REACTIONS takes students directly to the crux of chemistry's fundamental concepts and allows you to efficiently cover all topics found in a typical general chemistry book. Based on the authors' extensive teaching experience, the book includes rigorous graded and concept-driven examples, as well as examples that focus on molecular reasoning and understanding. The Eighth Edition features a new and innovative example format, new "talking labels" within artwork, 25% new or revised problems, "Chemistry: Beyond the Classroom" essays that highlight some of the most up-to-date uses of chemistry, and end-of-chapter questions and Key Concepts that correlate to OWLv2, the #1 online homework and tutorial system for chemistry.
- NEW AND INNOVATIVE EXAMPLE FORMAT: Clear, consistent, and easy to follow, the new Example format includes analysis, strategy, and solution sections after each individual part of the Example. Each example ends with an End Point, which provides additional insight into the problem.
- NEW "TALKING LABELS": This edition moves relevant text from captions to talking labels within the art for a clearer presentation of visual images. Contemporary photographs, modern molecular models, and new concept flowcharts help further clarify key concepts.
- MORE FLOWCHARTS: Owing to the enthusiastic response to them in the last edition, more flowcharts have been added and existing ones revised to help students visualize a pathway to follow for various topics.
- BALANCING REDOX EQUATIONS MOVED TO CHAPTER 17: In response to instructor and reviewer feedback, the discussion of balancing redox equations has been moved from Chapter 4 to Chapter 17 and redox reactions are treated in Chapter 4 only as far as stoichiometric calculations are involved (balanced equations are provided for these reactions).
- 25% NEW AND REVISED PROBLEMS: To keep the end-of-chapter questions fresh, approximately 25% of the problems are either new or revised.
- NEW AND REVISED SUMMARY PROBLEMS: Almost all of the summary problems have either been revised or are completely new to this edition.
- NEW CHAPTER-OPENING ARTWORK: Almost all of the fine art used in the chapter-opening images to illustrate chemical principles and applications is new.
- ENHANCED ONLINE LEARNING: The most powerful online learning solution for chemistry is better than ever. OWLv2 now has more flexible student and instructor functionality, new personalized study tools, enhanced integration with learning management systems, and improved analytics. For this course, OWLv2 also includes Quick Prep, an online short course to review key chemistry concepts and essential skills, new Adaptive Study Plans, and new iPad-compatible visualizations, tutorials, and simulations that have been converted from Flash to HTML, allowing for easier navigation and streamlined grading.
- LATEST WORK FROM SPECIALISTS: Guest authors and leaders in specialized fields profile the latest research in "Chemistry: Beyond the Classroom" boxes. Students see the relevance of concepts in some of the most current work in chemistry, including coloration of biological organisms, molecular structure of rubbery materials, and fuel cells.
- STRONG COVERAGE OF ORGANIC CHEMISTRY: Students leave your course well equipped with organic chemistry skills through the book's coverage of nomenclature and a greater number of functional groups, as well as coverage of types of organic reactions and material on proteins and carbohydrates.
- MOLECULAR MODEL ART PROGRAM: Effective models visually reinforce students' conceptual understanding. Revised nanoscale views of atoms, molecules, and ions use molecular modeling software and an exacting three-dimensional style to offer effective visual learning tools throughout the text.
- ABUNDANT IN-TEXT EXAMPLES: More than 115 in-text Graded Examples challenge students to solve more difficult material as they proceed through each step of the example. To encourage higher-order thinking at critical points within the chapter's narrative, additional Conceptual Examples lead students through conceptualizing the chemistry principles just discussed before solving the example.
- SUMMARY PROBLEMS: This popular feature connects all concepts covered in the chapter, providing students with important overview and context for learning. Multi-step Summary Problems summarize each chapter, covering all or almost all of the chapter's key concepts.
- "CHEMISTRY: THE HUMAN SIDE" BOXES: These boxes include short biographies of some of the pioneers of chemistry, ranging from Antoine Lavoisier (1748-1794) to Glenn Seaborg (1912-1999). These engaging sketches captivate students' attention as they emphasize the personalities, as well as the accomplishments, of these individuals.
- MARGINAL NOTES: Short margin notes sprinkled throughout the text draw attention to important points and highlight current research in chemistry. Chapter-ending Key Concepts briefly review the chapter's material and are indexed to corresponding examples and end-of-chapter problems.
- OWLv2 INTEGRATION: Featuring chemist-developed content, OWLv2 is the most trusted online learning solution for chemistry and is the only system designed to elevate thinking through Mastery Learning, allowing students to work at their own pace until they understand each concept and skill. Each time a student tries a problem, OWLv2 changes the chemistry, values, and sometimes even the wording of the question to ensure that students are learning the concepts and not cheating the system. With detailed, instant feedback and interactive learning resources, students get the help they need when they need it. Now with improved student and instructor tools and greater functionality, OWLv2 is more robust than ever. Discover the power of OWLv2 and take learning to a higher level.
- CONNECTION TO FINE ARTS: The text connects the hard science of chemistry to the humanities and fine arts through chapter openers and literary quotations that enhance each chapter's content.
2. Atoms, Molecules, and Ions.
3. Mass Relations in Chemistry; Stoichiometry.
4. Reactions in Aqueous Solution.
6. Electronic Structure and the Periodic Table.
7. Covalent Bonding.
9. Liquids and Solids.
11. Rate of Reaction.
12. Gaseous Chemical Equilibrium.
13. Acids and Bases.
14. Equilibria in Acid-Base Solutions.
15. Complex ion and Precipitation Equilibria.
16. Spontaneity of Reaction.
18. Nuclear Reactions.
19. Complex Ions and Coordination Compounds.
20. Chemistry of the Metals.
21. Chemistry of the Nonmetals.
22. Organic Chemistry.
23. Organic Polymers, Natural and Synthetic.
Appendix 1. Units, Constants, and Reference Data.
Appendix 2. Properties of the Elements.
Appendix 3. Exponents and Logarithms.
Appendix 4. Molecular Orbitals.
Appendix 5. Answers to Even-Numbered and Challenge Questions and Problems.
"One of the appeals of this text is the concise, clear writing. Students appreciate concise, clear writing."
"This is one of the best-written textbooks available. Very nice language, very clear explanation, good illustrations and graphics. Any reasonably well-prepared student will be prepared to do the necessary exercises after reading."
"I like the collection of real-world examples and applications of chemistry in Chemistry: Beyond the Classroom feature. It is not a simple task to select good examples for chemistry in our modern society that are both understandable by freshman and still very interesting and important. The authors did fantastic job selecting interesting stories and explaining them with the textbook material."
"I think this is a good [example] format because it demonstrates the way students should be thinking through problems. I always recommend that my students start by making a list of what they know and what they are trying to find, as is done in the worked examples. I also encourage them to check their work as is done in the End Points."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor's manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
Study Guide and Workbook
Help improve your students' success in the course with this helpful Study Guide and Workbook. This valuable resource contains additional worked examples and problem-solving techniques to help them understand the principles of general chemistry. Each chapter is outlined with fill-in-the-blank activities, exercises, and self-tests.
Student Solutions Manual
Help your students improve their performance at exam time with this manual's complete solutions to the even-numbered end-of-chapter Questions and Problems answered in Appendix 5, including the Challenge Problems. The authors include references to textbook sections and tables to help guide your students through the problem-solving techniques employed by the authors.
Study Guide and Workbook
Improve your success in the course with this helpful Study Guide and Workbook. This valuable resource contains additional worked examples and problem-solving techniques to help you understand the principles of general chemistry. Each chapter is outlined with fill-in-the-blank activities, exercises, and self-tests.
Student Solutions Manual
Improve your performance at exam time with this manual's complete solutions to the even-numbered end-of-chapter Questions and Problems answered in Appendix 5, including the Challenge Problems. The authors include references to textbook sections and tables to help guide you through the problem-solving techniques employed by the authors.