Request for consultation
Masterton/Hurley/Neth's CHEMISTRY: PRINCIPLES AND REACTIONS, 7e, takes students directly to the crux of chemistry's fundamental concepts and allows you to efficiently cover all topics found in the typical general chemistry book. Based on the authors' extensive teaching experience, this updated edition includes new concept-driven, rigorous examples, updated examples that focus on molecular reasoning and understanding, and "Chemistry: Beyond the Classroom" essays that demonstrate the relevance of the concepts and highlight some of the most up-to-date uses of chemistry. A strong, enhanced art program assists students in visualizing chemical concepts. Integrated end-of-chapter questions and Key Concepts correlate to OWL Online Learning, the #1 online homework and tutorial system for chemistry. OWL also includes an interactive eBook for the 7th edition of the textbook and an optional ebook for the Student Study Guide.
- REORGANIZATION: The authors have reorganized Chapters 13, 15, and 19 to create a better flow from single to multiple equilibria. In addition, Chapters 2-5 have been reorganized to enhance student understanding and mirror the way this material is presented in the classroom.
- NEW CHAPTER 15: This new chapter covers complex ion and precipitation equilibria to enhance the book's coverage.
- NEW END-OF-CHAPTER PROBLEMS/QUESTIONS: Approximately 25% of the book's end- of-chapter problems and questions are new.
- REVISED VISUALS FOR BETTER CLARITY: Ensure your students' understanding of concepts as this edition moves relevant text from captions to talking labels within the art for a clearer presentation of visual images. Contemporary photographs, modern molecular models, and new concept flow charts help further clarify key concepts.
- NEW AND INNOVATIVE EXAMPLE FORMAT--ONE/TWO COLUMN COMBO: Revised examples provide rigorous practice and opportunities to apply concepts. Each Example begins with a problem statement followed by three problem-solving steps: 1) Analysis (two columns), 2) Strategy (one column), and 3) Solution (two column). This innovative new worked Example format presentation is clear, consistent, and easy to follow. Each example concludes with an End Point, which provides additional insight into the problem.
- REVISED GRADED AND CONCEPTUAL EXAMPLES: Revised in-text Graded Examples now show the gradual increase in difficulty as problems progress from Step "a" to Step "c." The Graded Examples simulate the presentation of problems on a test. Additional Conceptual Examples lead students through conceptualizing the chemistry principles just discussed and demonstrate how to refine thinking skills at critical points in the chapter.
- MOLECULAR MODEL ART PROGRAM: Effective models visually reinforce students' conceptual understanding. Revised nanoscale views of atoms, molecules, and ions use molecular modeling software and an exacting three-dimensional style to offer effective visual learning tools throughout the text.
- ABUNDANT IN-TEXT EXAMPLES: More than 115 in-text Graded Examples challenge students to solve more difficult material as they proceed through each step of the example. Additional Conceptual Examples lead students through conceptualizing the chemistry principles just discussed before solving the example and encourage higher-order thinking at critical points within the chapter's narrative.
- SUMMARY PROBLEMS: This popular feature connects all concepts covered in the chapter, providing students with important overview and context for learning. Multi-step Summary Problems summarize each chapter, covering all or almost all of the chapter's key concepts.
- "CHEMISTRY: THE HUMAN SIDE" BOXES: These boxes include short biographies of some of the pioneers of chemistry, ranging from Antoine Lavoisier (1748-1794) to Glenn Seaborg (1912-1999). These engaging sketches captivate students' attention as they emphasize the personalities as well as the accomplishments of these individuals.
- MARGINAL NOTES: Short margin notes sprinkled throughout the text draw attention to important points and highlight current research in chemistry. Chapter Highlights at the end of each chapter briefly review the chapter's material. Key Concepts introduce each chapter and are indexed to corresponding examples and end-of-chapter problems.
- GO CHEMISTRY: Go Chemistry: Mini video lectures are ideal for helping on-the-go students review essential chemistry topics. Mini video lectures include animations and problems for a quick summary of key concepts. Selected videos have e-flashcards that briefly introduce a key concept and then test students' understanding of the basics. Keyed to topics in the text, Go Chemistry plays on iTunes, video iPods/iPhones, other personal video players, and QuickTime. OWL includes five videos. Students can purchase Go Chemistry as a 27-video set or as individual videos.
- CONNECTION TO FINE ARTS: This edition connects the hard science of chemistry to the humanities and fine arts through chapter openers and literary quotations that enhance each chapter's content.
- LATEST WORK FROM SPECIALISTS: Guest authors and leaders in specialized fields profile the latest research in "Chemistry: Beyond the Classroom" boxes. Students see the relevance of concepts in some of the most current work in chemistry, including photochromic and thermochromic materials, coloration biological organisms, molecular structure of rubbery materials, and fuel cells.
- STRONG COVERAGE OF ORGANIC CHEMISTRY: Students leave your course well equipped with organic chemistry skills through coverage of nomenclature and a greater number of functional groups, as well as coverage of types of organic reactions and material on proteins and carbohydrates.
2. Atoms, Molecules, and Ions.
3. Mass Relations in Chemistry; Stoichiometry.
4. Reactions in Aqueous Solution.
6. Electronic Structure and the Periodic Table.
7. Covalent Bonding.
9. Liquids and Solids.
11. Rate of Reaction.
12. Gaseous Chemical Equilibrium.
13. Acids and Bases.
14. Equilibria in Acid-Base Solutions.
15. Complex ion and Precipitation Equilibria
16. Spontaneity of Reaction
18. Nuclear Reactions.
19. Complex Ions and Coordination compounds
20. Chemistry of the Metals.
21. Chemistry of the Nonmetals.
22. Organic Chemistry.
23. Organic Polymers, Natural and Synthetic.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor's manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
Study Guide and Workbook
Help improve your students' success in the course with this helpful Study Guide and Workbook. This valuable resource contains additional worked examples and problem-solving techniques to help them understand the principles of general chemistry. Each chapter is outlined with fill-in-the-blank activities, exercises, and self-tests.
Student Solutions Manual
Help your students improve their performance at exam time with this manual's complete solutions to the even-numbered end-of-chapter Questions and Problems answered in Appendix 5, including the Challenge Problems. The authors include references to textbook sections and tables to help guide your students through the problem-solving techniques employed by the authors.
Study Guide and Workbook
Improve your success in the course with this helpful Study Guide and Workbook. This valuable resource contains additional worked examples and problem-solving techniques to help you understand the principles of general chemistry. Each chapter is outlined with fill-in-the-blank activities, exercises, and self-tests.
Student Solutions Manual
Improve your performance at exam time with this manual's complete solutions to the even-numbered end-of-chapter Questions and Problems answered in Appendix 5, including the Challenge Problems. The authors include references to textbook sections and tables to help guide you through the problem-solving techniques employed by the authors.