Request for consultation
Discover all of the fundamental topics of general chemistry in the latest edition of this brief, cost-effective, reader- oriented text. Masterton/Hurley's CHEMISTRY: PRINCIPLES AND REACTIONS, 6e, provides a clear, concise presentation based on the authors' more than 50 years of combined teaching experience. This edition takes you directly to the crux of concepts with simplicity and allows you to efficiently cover all topics found in the typical general chemistry book. New and proven concept-driven examples as well as examples that focus on molecular reasoning and understanding provide important practice. New "Chemistry: Beyond the Classroom" essays by guest authors demonstrate the relevance of the concepts you are learning and highlight some of the most up-to-date uses of chemistry. A strong, enhanced art program further assists you in visualizing chemical concepts. For the first time, this edition fully integrates OWL (Online Web-based Learning), the homework management system trusted by tens of thousands of students. Integrated end-of-chapter questions and Key Concepts correlate to OWL. An optional e-book of this edition is also available in OWL. To further assist in learning and depth of coverage, the book offers CengageNOW™, a Web-based student self- tutorial program. In addition, Go Chemistry™ learning modules developed by award-winning chemists offer mini- lectures and learning tools available for video iPods, MP3 players, and iTunes or CengageNOW™ to accommodate students like you who are on the go.
- CONNECTION TO FINE ARTS: This edition effectively connects the hard science of chemistry to the humanities and fine arts through new and revised chapter openers and literary quotations that directly enhance each chapter's content.
- FRESH CLARITY IN VISUALS: Ensure that your students understand concepts at a glance as this edition moves relevant text from captions to word balloons over the art for a clearer presentation of the visual images. In addition, current photographs, modern molecular models, and a new and clearer graph style engage students and clarify concepts.
- LATEST WORK FROM SPECIALISTS: Guest authors and leaders in specialized fields profile the latest research in new "Chemistry: Beyond the Classroom" boxes. Students see the relevance of concepts in some of the most current work in chemistry, including photochromic and thermochromic materials, coloration biological organisms, molecular structure of rubbery materials, and fuel cells.
- STRONGER WORKED EXAMPLE PROBLEMS: Stronger in-text Worked Example Problems, revised for this edition, provide more rigorous practice with opportunities for students to apply concepts and for you to grade class progress. Almost one-third of the examples are new.
- OWL INTEGRATION: For the first time, select end-of-chapter questions, clearly identified by icons in this edition, are now available in OWL, the homework management system trusted by tens of thousands of students. These questions are cross-referenced in the Key Concepts Summary List in the "Chapter Highlights" section at the end of each chapter.
- GO CHEMISTRY™: These easy-to-use online essential review tools that focus on the basics are ideal for the student on the go! Developed by award-winning chemists, these 27 new electronic modules are designed to help students quickly review essential chemistry topics. Go Chemistry's mini video lectures include animations and problems for a quick summary of key concepts. E-flashcards briefly introduce a key concept and then test understanding of the basics with a series of questions. Go Chemistry™ is keyed to topics in the text and plays on video iPods, iPhones, and MP3 players as well as on iTunes.
- SUMMARY PROBLEMS: This popular feature connects all concepts covered in the chapter, providing students with important overview and context for learning. Multi-step Summary Problems summarize each chapter, covering all or almost all of the chapter's key concepts.
- CHEMISTRY: THE HUMAN SIDE: Throughout the text, short biographies of some of the pioneers of chemistry, found in Chemistry: The Human Side, range from Antoine Lavoisier (1748-1794) to Glenn Seaborg (1912-1999). These engaging sketches captivate students' attention as they emphasize the personalities as well as the accomplishments of these individuals.
- FOCUS ON REASONING: Most examples contain a Strategy Statement and a Reality Check, both designed to encourage students to think about their answers and help them understand the reasoning behind the solutions.
- LEARNING TOOLS: Short margin notes sprinkled throughout the text draw attention to important points and highlight current research in chemistry. Chapter Highlights at the end of each chapter briefly review the chapter's material. Key Concepts introduce each chapter and are indexed to corresponding examples and end-of-chapter problems.
- CENGAGENOW™: CengageNOW's online self-assessment tools give students the choices and resources they need to study smarter. Students can explore a variety of tutorials, exercises and simulations (cross-referenced throughout the text by margin annotations) or take chapter-specific Pre-Tests to get a Personalized Study Plan that directs them to specific interactive materials that can help them master the areas with which they need additional work.
- STRONG COVERAGE OF ORGANIC CHEMISTRY: Students leave your course well equipped with organic chemistry skills as this book's expanded coverage includes nomenclature and a greater number of functional groups as well as coverage of types of organic reactions and material on proteins and carbohydrates.
- MOLECULAR MODEL ART PROGRAM: Effective models visually reinforce students' conceptual understanding. Revised nanoscale views of atoms, molecules, and ions use molecular modeling software and an exacting three-dimensional style to offer effective visual learning tools throughout the text.
- ABUNDANT IN-TEXT EXAMPLES: More than 115 in-text Graded Examples challenge students to solve more difficult material as they proceed through each step of the example. Additional Conceptual Examples lead students through conceptualizing the chemistry principles just discussed before solving the example and encourage higher-order thinking at critical points within the chapter's narrative.
2. Atoms, Molecules, and Ions.
3. Mass Relations in Chemistry; Stoichiometry.
4. Reactions in Aqueous Solution.
6. Electronic Structure and the Periodic Table.
7. Covalent Bonding.
9. Liquids and Solids.
11. Rate of Reaction.
12. Gaseous Chemical Equilibrium.
13. Acids and Bases.
14. Equilibria in Acid-Base Solutions.
15. Complex Ions.
16. Precipitation Equilibria.
17. Spontaneity of Reaction.
19. Nuclear Reactions.
20. Chemistry of the Metals.
21. Chemistry of the Nonmetals.
22. Organic Chemistry.
23. Organic Polymers, Natural and Synthetic.
Appendix 1: Units, Constants, and Reference Data.
Appendix 2: Properties of the Elements.
Appendix 3: Exponents and Logarithms.
Appendix 4: Nomenclature of Complex Ions.
Appendix 5: Molecular Orbitals.
Appendix 6: Answers to Even-Numbered and Challenge Questions & Problems.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor's manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
Study Guide and Workbook
Help improve your students' success in the course with this helpful Study Guide and Workbook. This valuable resource contains additional worked examples and problem-solving techniques to help them understand the principles of general chemistry. Each chapter is outlined with fill-in-the-blank activities, exercises, and self-tests.
Student Solutions Manual
Help your students improve their performance at exam time with this manual's complete solutions to the even-numbered end-of-chapter Questions and Problems answered in Appendix 5, including the Challenge Problems. The authors include references to textbook sections and tables to help guide your students through the problem-solving techniques employed by the authors.
Study Guide and Workbook
Improve your success in the course with this helpful Study Guide and Workbook. This valuable resource contains additional worked examples and problem-solving techniques to help you understand the principles of general chemistry. Each chapter is outlined with fill-in-the-blank activities, exercises, and self-tests.
Student Solutions Manual
Improve your performance at exam time with this manual's complete solutions to the even-numbered end-of-chapter Questions and Problems answered in Appendix 5, including the Challenge Problems. The authors include references to textbook sections and tables to help guide you through the problem-solving techniques employed by the authors.