Request for consultation
Thoroughly updated with the latest research and developments, CHEMISTRY IN FOCUS, 5e develops students' appreciation for the molecular world and emphasizes the fundamental role it plays in their daily lives. By clearly identifying and explaining connections between the molecular world and microscopic world, the book helps students understand the major scientific, technological, and environmental issues affecting our society. Innovative study aids and technological tools help students maximize their success in the course.
- New End-of-Chapter questions have been added to every chapter.
- "Apply Your Knowledge" boxes have been redesigned and renamed to "Self Check." Every chapter has more "Self Check" boxes, so that anytime a new concept is introduced the student can receive instant feedback on their understanding of that concept.
- Answers to "Self Check" have been moved to the End-of-Chapter material so that students can use the questions as study aids to test themselves.
- Each chapter has an increased environmental emphasis integrated fully into each chemical concept. These environmental issues are accompanied by real world, up-to-date illustrations, graphs, and data to show the impact of the microscopic chemical world on the world we see every day.
- A new design/layout allows for greater ease of use as a textbook and a reference for students.
- "Molecular Revolution" Boxes. Designed to encourage further exploration, these boxes describe a timely topic of modern research.
- "What If?" Boxes. These fascinating boxes focus on topics with societal, political, or ethical implications and conclude with open-ended questions for group discussion. Topics include genetic engineering, The Manhattan Project, and government subsidiaries for the development of alternative fuels.
- A Wide Variety of Exercises. Qualitative questions help students review key concepts from the chapter. Problems are quantitative or analytical, with varying degrees of difficulty, and ask students to apply what they have learned to solve problems. Points to Ponder are open-ended, essay-type questions asking students about the ethical, societal, and political implications of scientific issues. Feature Problems and Projects contain problems with graphics and short projects, often involving web-based inquiry.
- "Your Turn" Example Problems and Exercises. By first solving an example in detail before giving students a similar problem to solve, the author provides step-by-step instruction as well as hands-on opportunities to practice solving problems themselves. Answers to "Your Turn" exercises are provided in the appendices for immediate feedback.
- "Self-Check" Boxes. Every time a new concept is introduced, a Self-Check box gives students an opportunity to assess their understanding of that concept.
- Two-part Visuals to Illustrate Thought Experiments. To help students make the connection between what they see and what is actually happening with atoms and molecules, the book includes innovative two-part visuals. One part is a macroscopic view of a familiar experience. The second part shows the microscopic image as a magnification window that portrays the molecular structure or reaction..
- "Molecular Thinking" Boxes. These boxes describe everyday observations related to chapter material and ask students to explain the observation based on what the molecules are doing.
- "Molecular Focus" Boxes. These boxes highlight a molecule relevant to the chapter, describing physical properties, structure, and uses of such compounds as calcium carbonate, hydrogen peroxide, ammonia, AZT, retinal, sulfur oxide, ammonium nitrate, and others.
2. The Chemist's Toolbox.
3. Atoms and Elements.
4. Molecules, Compounds, and Chemical Reactions.
5. Chemical Bonding.
6. Organic Chemistry.
7. Light and Color.
8: Nuclear Chemistry.
9. Energy for Today.
10. Energy for Tomorrow: Solar and Other Renewable Energy Sources.
11. The Air Around Us.
12. The Liquids and Solids Around Us: Especially Water.
13. Acids and Bases: The Molecules Responsible for Sour and Bitter.
14. Oxidation and Reduction.
15. The Chemistry of Household Products.
16. Biochemistry and Biotechnology.
17. Drugs and Medicine: Healing, Helping, and Hurting.
18. The Chemistry of Food.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
This Instructor Resource Site, accessible from the Instructor Resource Center when you sign in at login.cengage.com, provides access to the Instructor’s Manual, PowerPoint Lecture and Image slides, and an image library.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to: author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions create multiple test versions in an instant deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom or wherever you want.