Request for consultation
Distinguished by its superior allied health focus and integration of technology, The Eighth Edition of Seager and Slabaugh's ORGANIC AND BIOCHEMISTRY FOR TODAY meets students' needs through diverse applications, examples, boxes, interactive technology tools, and -- new to this edition -- real life case studies. The Eighth Edition dispels students' inherent fear of chemistry and instills an appreciation for the role chemistry plays in our daily lives through a rich pedagogical structure and an accessible writing style with lucid explanations. In addition, the book provides greater support in both problem-solving and critical-thinking skills--the skills necessary for student success. By demonstrating the importance of chemistry concepts to students' future careers, the authors not only help students set goals, but also help them focus on achieving them.
- CASE STUDIES AND CASE STUDY FOLLOW UPS: New Case Studies open each chapter with real life scenarios that students may encounter at home and at work. Each case study incorporates critical chemistry concepts from the chapter in an exciting real life scenario in which readers feel as if they are a part of the experience. The case studies require students to make a decision about what they would do if they were in that situation. A follow up to each Case Study appears at the end of each chapter.
- ASK AN EXPERT: Featured on both the book cover and woven throughout the text the "Ask an Expert" boxes begin with important questions about nutrition and fitness as related to chemistry--questions that students need to ask and need to know the answers to. The "Ask an Expert" questions and answers are written by CNN Doctor Melina B. Jampolis--one of the leading Nutrition and Fitness experts in the country.
- NEW END-OF-CHAPTER EXERCISES: A significant number of the end-of-chapter questions are new.
- ENHANCED OWL (ONLINE WEB LEARNING) INTEGRATION: For the Eighth Edition, OWL now includes more parameterized end-of-chapter questions, encouraging students to practice multiple questions of the same type with different chemicals, wording, and numbers to ensure their mastery of the underlying chemical concepts. OWL also includes Student Self-Assessments, Interactive Examples from the text, the interactive customizable Cengage YouBook, a customizable iPad-compatible multimedia eBook, and an optional Solutions Manual eBook.
- LEARNING CHECKS: These short, self-check exercises follow the book's worked-out examples and discussions of key or difficult concepts to help students assess their understanding.
- CONCEPT SUMMARY SECTIONS: These end-of-chapter sections summarize each chapter's key concepts and include one or two appropriate end-of-chapter exercises per concept. By solving these exercises, students will have an approximate but quick assessment of how well they understand the Learning Objective related to that concept.
- "HOW REACTIONS OCCUR" SECTIONS: These sections present the mechanisms of representative organic reactions to help dispel the mystery of how these reactions take place.
- OWL (ONLINE WEB LEARNING) INTEGRATION: Improve student learning outcomes with OWL, the #1 online homework and learning system for chemistry. Developed by chemistry instructors, OWL includes course management tools that simplify homework management as well as reporting and grade book features that save time in grading homework and tracking student progress. With OWL you can address different student learning styles through tutorials, simulations, visualization exercises, and algorithmically-generated homework questions with instant answer-specific feedback. With OWL's mastery learning approach, students work at their own pace until they understand each concept/skill. OWL includes the Cengage YouBook, a customizable iPad-compatible multimedia eBook. OWL courses for GOB now include Quick Prep assignments that help students learn essential skills to succeed.
- A UNIQUE AND INSTRUCTIVE ART PROGRAM: "Talking Labels" in the art itself walk students through each figure, pointing out what they need to see. Explanations of figures are incorporated into the art, rather than appearing in the caption, to help students follow processes and understand exactly what is happening within each figure without having to go back and forth between figure and caption.
- STUDENT-FOCUSED BOXED FEATURES: New "Ask an Expert" boxes written by CNN Nutrition and Fitness Expert Melina B. Jampolis, M.D. discuss important questions and answers about nutrition and fitness as related to chemistry; "At the Counter" boxes focus on drugs and products found on drugstore shelves and at the pharmacy; "Chemistry Around Us" boxes present everyday applications of chemistry; and updated "Chemistry and Your Health" boxes relate to students' health and the health of the patients that they may care for in their future roles as a part of the allied health work force.
- A WEALTH OF END-OF-CHAPTER EXERCISES: The book's wide range of end-of-chapter exercises include "Additional Exercises" that are not tied to a specific section and often consist of problems that integrate several concepts and "Chemistry for Thought" exercises that focus on conceptual and cumulative questions and ask students to apply what they have learned to a particular cumulative question.
- ALLIED HEALTH CONNECTION: An "Allied-Health Exam Connection" section follows each chapter's end-of-chapter exercises and includes chemistry questions found on entrance examinations used to screen applicants applying to Allied-Health professional programs.
- INTEGRATED LEARNING OBJECTIVES: The book's Learning Objectives are integrated throughout each chapter and within the summary to help students focus on the chapter's key skills and concepts.
2. Unsaturated Hydrocarbons.
3. Alcohols, Phenols, and Ethers.
4. Aldehydes and Ketones.
5. Carboxylic Acids and Esters.
6. Amines and Amides.
11. Nucleic Acids and Protein Synthesis.
12. Nutrition and Energy for Life.
13. Carbohydrate Metabolism.
14. Lipid and Amino Acid Metabolism.
15. Body Fluids.
Appendix A: The International System of Measurements.
Appendix B: Answers to Even-Numbered End-of-Chapter Exercises.
Appendix C: Solutions to Learning Checks.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
Study Guide with Student Solutions Manual
The Study Guide and Student Solutions Manual tests students on the learning objectives in each chapter and provides answers to all of the even-numbered end-of-chapter exercises. Additional Activities include specific questions for each section as well as a summary activity. Each chapter is rounded out with a Self Test with answers.
Safety Scale Laboratory Experiments
This proven lab manual offers a unique blend of laboratory skills and exercises that effectively illustrate concepts from the main text, CHEMISTRY FOR TODAY: GENERAL, ORGANIC, AND BIOCHEMISTRY, 8th and 9th Editions. The book's 15 general chemistry and 20 organic/biochemistry safety-scale laboratory experiments use small quantities of chemicals and emphasize safety and proper disposal of materials. 'Safety-scale' is the authors' own term for describing the amount of chemicals each lab experiment requires -- less than macroscale quantities, which are expensive and hazardous, and more than microscale quantities, which are difficult to work with and require special equipment.
Study Guide with Student Solutions Manual
The Study Guide and Student Solutions Manual tests you on the learning objectives in each chapter and provides answers to all of the even-numbered end-of-chapter exercises. Additional Activities include specific questions for each section as well as a summary activity. Each chapter is rounded out with a Self Test with answers.
Safety Scale Laboratory Experiments
Succeed in your chemistry course using this lab manual's unique blend of laboratory skills and exercises that effectively illustrate concepts from the main text, CHEMISTRY FOR TODAY: GENERAL, ORGANIC, AND BIOCHEMISTRY, 8th and 9th Editions. The book's 15 general chemistry and 20 organic/biochemistry safety-scale laboratory experiments use small quantities of chemicals and emphasize safety and proper disposal of materials. 'Safety-scale' is the authors' own term for describing the amount of chemicals each lab experiment requires -- less than macroscale quantities, which are expensive and hazardous, and more than microscale quantities, which are difficult to work with and require special equipment.