Request for consultation
Enhanced with a remarkable number of new problems and applications, the Third Edition of CHEMISTRY FOR ENGINEERING STUDENTS provides a concise, thorough, and relevant introduction to chemistry that prepares students for further study in any engineering field. Updated with even more questions and applications specifically geared toward engineering students, the book emphasizes the connection between molecular properties and observable physical properties and the connections between chemistry and other subjects studied by engineering students, such as mathematics and physics. This new edition is now fully supported by OWL, the most widely-used online learning system for chemistry.
- Access to the #1 online homework and learning system for chemistry, OWLv2, is packaged with this hybrid edition and now with new instructor features and enhanced functionality: a Dashboard that consolidates all course materials; easy, intuitive assignment creation and management; ability to preview and select activities/questions for each assignment; new assignment settings and options; improved gradebook; Personalized Study tools to help students focus their time on the key concepts and skills; and MindTap Reader™, a new eBook with apps and embedded video, audio, annotations, and activities. OWLv2 courses for Gen Chem, GOB, and Liberal Arts now include Quick Prep essential skills assignments that can be taken before the semester begins or during the first few weeks, to help students succeed in the course. For this course, OWLv2 also includes new interactive versions of the end-of-chapter questions from the text and new iPad-compatible visualizations, tutorials, and simulations.
- NEW EOC Problems: Replaced several end-of-chapter problems and added several end-of-chapter problems.
- Updated art and design program!
- Content Changes to based on chemistry in the news and technological advances that are of special important in the engineering field as related to chemistry.
- In chapter 3 the authors changed the context for the entire chapter from explosions to biofuels.
- In chapter 4 the authors replaced "Focus on Problem Solving" with a new style of problem for this feature that includes graphical reasoning.
- In chapter 6 the authors changed the context for the entire chapter from light bulbs to trace analysis.
- Added a discussion in Section 14.6 about the Fukushima reactor accident and the release of radioactivity from it.
- Additional problems related to engineering applications have been added to every chapter.
- Selected end-of-chapter problems (approximately 30%) are now available in OWL: Online Web Learning system.
- "Insights Into" boxes lead off each chapter with engineering applications, that raise questions that are answered later in the chapter, show connections between chemistry concepts and engineering applications, and are supported by end-of-chapter problems.
- "Focus on Problem Solving" sections at the end of each chapter support the book's problem-solving emphasis through a mix of multi-step quantitative and qualitative questions that require students to think outside the context of the information given and focus on the process of finding a solution to a problem, not the solution itself.
- "Math Connections" boxes offer mathematical review at point of use, expanding and reviewing math concepts as they pertain to the particular topic being studied.
- Detailed Example Problems illustrate good problem-solving practices by focusing on the reasoning of the solution as well as the calculations. "Strategy" sections first offer a way to solve the problem, then reinforce the solution with "Analyze Your Answer" sections (which walk students through a double check of their answers), then allow students to practice the skill with "Check Your Understanding" exercises.
- A chapter summary and key terms (which include the section number where each term first appears) conclude each chapter to help students review and study for tests.
- "Insight Into" boxes focusing on new trends and innovations in chemistry and show connections between chemistry concepts and engineering applications.
2. Atoms and Molecules.
3. Molecules, Moles, & Chemical Equations.
6. The Periodic Table and Atomic Structure.
7. Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure.
8. Molecules and Materials.
9. Energy and Chemistry.
10. Entropy and the Second Law of Thermodynamics.
11. Chemical Kinetics.
12. Chemical Equilibrium.
14. Nuclear Chemistry (Available through Custom Publishing).
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site
Search for this text at login.CENGAGE.com and choose Instructor Companion Site to access these digital resources for this text: 1) PowerPoint® lecture slides by Jacqueline Bennett, SUNY Oneonta; 2) Image libraries for figures, photographs, and numbered tables; 3) Instructor's Solutions Manual by Charles Cornett, University of Wisconsin-Platteville; 4) Sample chapters from the Student Solutions Manual and Study Guide. 5) List of end-of-chapter questions that you can assign in OWLv2; 6) Cognero® online testing software with questions by Charles Cornett, University of Wisconsin-Platteville; 7) "Clicker" content for use with the classroom response system of your choice; 8) Chemistry Multimedia Library of lecture-ready animations, simulations, and movies.
Student Solutions Manual with Study Guide
The STUDENT SOLUTIONS MANUAL AND STUDY GUIDE provides students with a comprehensive guide to working the solutions to the odd-numbered end-of-chapter problems in the text and also includes each chapter's Study Goals and Chapter Objective quizzes. Because the best way for students to learn and understand the concepts is to work multiple, relevant problems on a daily basis and to have reinforcement of important topics and concepts from the book, the STUDENT SOLUTIONS MANUAL gives students instant feedback by providing not only the answers to problems, but also detailed explanations of each problem's solution.
Student Solutions Manual with Study Guide
Using this STUDENT SOLUTIONS MANUAL AND STUDY GUIDE, you can study more effectively and improve your performance at exam time! This comprehensive guide walks you through the step-by-step solutions to the odd-numbered end-of-chapter problems in the text. Because the best way for you to learn and understand the concepts is to work multiple, relevant problems on a daily basis and to have reinforcement of important topics and concepts from the book, the STUDENT SOLUTIONS MANUAL gives you instant feedback by providing you with not only the answers, but also detailed explanations of each problem's solution. Also included are Study Goals and Chapter Objective quizzes for each chapter of the text.