Request for consultation
Packing a wealth of insight into a succinct resource, CENGAGE ADVANTAGE BOOKS: THE SPEAKER'S COMPACT HANDBOOK, 5th Edition, is a concise reference for the introductory public speaking course. An excellent value and useful to students in any major, this brief handbook grounded in research features speech excerpts and full-speech examples, illustrations, and critical thinking questions that students can use on their journey to becoming effective public speakers. The spiral-bound format and flexible standalone chapters allow students to access the topics they need to create great speeches easily, while Key Points, Quick Tips, and Checklists help them stay on track. Completely up to date, the Fifth Edition includes new examples, new student speech excerpts and full speeches, new Web Links boxes, new illustrations, and more.
- The Fifth Edition features a new special occasion speech from President Barack Obama commemorating Nelson Mandela.
- All-new student speech excerpts and full speeches enable students to draw inspiration from their peers.
- New Web Links boxes provide websites where students will find additional information on related topics--equipping them with resources to explore chapter concepts in further detail.
- All-new illustrations provide vibrant visual representations of key topics.
- Completely current, the Fifth Edition is packed with new examples, updated content, new Checklists, and up-to-date Key Point boxes throughout.
- A brief and handy reference, CENGAGE ADVANTAGE BOOKS: THE SPEAKER'S COMPACT HANDBOOK presents a distilled version of the most useful advice gleaned from centuries of academic research and decades of practical experience. Easy to store in a backpack, purse, or coat pocket, it provides a quick reference whenever and wherever students need it.
- Extremely student friendly, the handbook is designed around the five steps of public speaking: Plan, Investigate, Compose, Practice, and Present.
- Walking students step by step through the entire speech process, the first four chapters encourage students to establish a foundation so they can start thinking about and beginning the task of preparing a speech, Unit 3 encourages them to take time to plan their speech, and in Unit 8 they consider the context in which they will be giving their speech.
- Quick-access review and organizational tools include Checklists, Key Points, Quick Tips, Web Links, and Critical Thinking questions at the end of each chapter.
1. Understanding Public Speaking.
3. Speaking Ethically.
4. Overcoming Fear of Speaking.
Part II: PRESENTING YOUR SPEECH.
5. Vocal Delivery.
6. Physical Delivery.
7. Using Presentation Aids.
8. Answering Questions.
Part III: PLANNING YOUR SPEECH.
9. Your Preparation Schedule.
10. Topic Selection.
11. Audience Analysis.
Part IV: FINDING AND USING RESOURCES.
12. Your Research Strategy.
13. Print, Internet, and Other Electronic Resources.
14. Interviewing People About Your Topic.
15. Identifying and Recording Evidence.
Part V: ORGANIZING YOUR IDEAS AND INFORMATION.
16. Exploring Your Ideas.
17. Choosing Points That Work.
18. Arranging Points.
20. Building Sound Arguments.
Part VI: GETTING YOUR IDEAS ACROSS.
21. Informative Strategies.
22. Persuasive Strategies.
24. Motivational Appeals.
26. Presentation Aids.
Part VII: CRAFTING YOUR SPEECH.
27. Modes of Delivery.
28. Language and Style.
29. Capturing Attention and Interest.
30. Introductions and Conclusions.
31. Polishing Your Speech.
32. Practicing Your Speech.
Part VIII: SPEECH CONTEXTS.
33. Analyzing Speech Contexts.
34. Educational Context.
35. Workplace Context.
36. Civic and Political Context.
37. Social and Ceremonial Context.
Appendix A: Sample Speeches and Outlines.
Appendix B: Citation Guidelines.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® for Sprague/Stuart/Bodary's Cengage Advantage Books: The Speaker's Compact Handbook
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.