Request for consultation
Widely considered to be a definitive work on U.S. foreign policymaking, THE POLITICS OF UNITED STATES FOREIGN POLICY: ADVANTAGE SERIES, 6E uses three levels of analysis to demonstrate how government, society, and the historical-global environment all impact policymaking. Focusing more on the process of creating policy than the history, this comprehensive text blends substance, history, and theory in a lively narrative that is engaging, accessible, and informative. Streamlined and updated, the new Sixth Edition presents theory in current context with late-breaking coverage of the 2012 elections, the new Congress, the global economic crisis, updates on the wars and crises abroad, the Obama administration's foreign policy, and more. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- Thoroughly revised and updated to reflect the latest developments from the field, THE POLITICS OF UNITED STATES FOREIGN POLICY: ADVANTAGE SERIES, 6E offers current coverage of the 2012 elections, the new Congress, the global economic crisis, the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars, the Obama administration's foreign policy, and more.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- The new edition also provides expanded coverage in the areas of government secrecy and the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
- The text now includes additional opportunities for critical thinking and analysis to probe students' understanding of the general principles/philosophies presented in the chapters.
- THE POLITICS OF UNITED STATES FOREIGN POLICY addresses three critical themes throughout: (1) the historical patterns of continuity and change, (2) the president's ability to govern, and (3) the tension between the demands of democracy and national security.
- A strong emphasis is placed on identifying patterns from the perspective of the three levels of analysis and the book's three themes, helping students understand how U.S. foreign policy has evolved as well as predict how it will continue to change in the future--thus challenging them to think analytically about the world in which they live.
- International and foreign economic policymaking--a critical part of U.S. foreign policy often ignored in other textbooks--is addressed in a full chapter and integrated throughout the textbook.
- "The Liberty-Security Dilemma" boxes integrate the global context of American power with the historical context and civil liberties issues in foreign policy, highlighting the importance of civil liberties and the tension between national security and democracy.
- Boxed essays give students additional information on historical and current topics relevant to the chapter.
PART I: INTRODUCTION.
1. The Politics of U.S. Foreign Policy.
2. Historical Context and the Future of U.S. Global Power.
PART II: GOVERNMENT AND THE POLICYMAKING PROCESS.
3. Presidential Power and Leadership.
4. The Bureaucracy, Presidential Management, and the National Security Council.
5. Understanding Bureaucracy: The State Department at Home and Abroad.
6. The Military Establishment.
7. The Intelligence Community.
8. Foreign Economics and the NEC.
9. Decisionmaking Theory and Foreign Policymaking.
10. Congress and Interbranch Politics.
PART III: THE SOCIETY AND DOMESTIC POLITICS.
11. The Public and Its Beliefs.
12. Group Politics.
13. The Media and the Communications Process.
PART IV: CONCLUSION.
14. Patterns, Change, and the Future of U.S. Foreign Policymaking.
"…after presenting the theoretical framework for studying foreign policy in Chapter 1, the authors comprehensively cover U.S. history in that area over five defined periods. Second, the Rosati-Scott book's utilization of the three themes--but particularly the democracy v. national security dichotomy--provides a basis for diverse, non-traditional assessments and exercises."
"Compared to its competitors, THE POLITICS OF UNITED STATES FOREIGN POLICY offers the most thorough and exhaustive overview of the institutional settings of American foreign policy."
"THE POLITICS OF UNITED STATES FOREIGN POLICY is the best text available for understanding the structure and function of government departments and agencies and branches as they strive to implement American foreign policy."
"It is really the best single source on all aspects of the policy process."
"This is the single best textbook for one-stop shopping on the making of American foreign policy after 9/11, not just for American students, but for students around the world who want to understand the processes behind American policies that profoundly affect their own countries and the world at large."
"Provides the most comprehensive overview of the history, substance and processes of U.S. foreign policy. The perspectives and themes provide a clear framework. For academics and other observers who seek to understand U.S. foreign policy decisions as well as national security professionals attempting to navigate the complex interagency bureaucracy, this text is an indispensable resource. Assign it in your class or buy it for your staff!"
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
PowerLecture DVD with ExamView®
The PowerLecture DVD includes book-specific PowerPoint® slides, an expanded Test Bank in both Microsoft Word and ExamView® formats, an Instructor Manual, and a Resource Integration Guide. The book-specific PowerPoint®slides outline each chapter of THE POLITICS OF UNITED STATES FOREIGN POLICY, ADVANTAGE SERIES, 6e. Featuring photos, figures, and tables from the text, these slides are a one-stop class preparation tool. The ability to add your own materials to these PowerPoint slides makes creating your own powerful and personalized classroom or online presentation easy.