Request for consultation
Using an innovative storytelling style to bring cases and legal concepts to life, INTRODUCTION TO BUSINESS LAW, 5E presents a full range of business law topics in a series of brief, quick-reading chapters. Ideal for single-semester or one-quarter courses, the text delivers succinct coverage of core business law topics and includes summarized cases instead of case examples to illustrate the point of law. The text emphasizes the business applications of chapter concepts, making the material relevant to students no matter what their future career path. The fifth edition includes all-new chapters on LLCs and employment discrimination, new Case Questions, and a new emphasis on social media issues throughout. The new edition also offers access to MindTap™, a fully online, highly personalized learning experience built on Cengage Learning content.
- Providing the most current coverage available, CENGAGE ADVANTAGE BOOKS: INTRODUCTION TO BUSINESS LAW, 5E has been fully updated to reflect the latest laws, developments, and legal trends.
- Expanded and enhanced social media coverage is included throughout.
- Offering more streamlined coverage, Common Law Employment is now combined with Labor Law.
- An all-new Chapter 21, "Starting a Business: LLCs and Other Options," covers all of the legal bases of new businesses.
- An entire chapter is devoted to employment discrimination.
- New Case Questions added to the end-of-chapter material help students apply chapter concepts to real-world legal issues.
- Available with the fifth edition, MindTap™ offers students a fully online, highly personalized learning experience built on Cengage Learning content. MindTap™ combines learning tools--such as readings, multimedia, activities, and assessments--into a singular learning path that guides students through the course. You can personalize the experience by customizing content and learning tools. MindTap™ enables you to add your own content in the learning path with apps that seamlessly integrate into the MindTap™ framework with learning management systems.
- The text's signature conversational, student-friendly writing style uses entertaining stories, illustrations, and scenarios--along with timely humor--to deliver a lively presentation of legal material that engages students and helps them better retain what they learn.
- Critical thinking features such as "You Be the Judge" and "Ethics" encourage students to analyze as they read, increasing their synthesis of different concepts and sharpening their analytical skills.
- Providing excellent test preparation, "Exam Strategy" and "Exam Review" features at the end of every chapter give students plenty of opportunities to put what they learn into practice.
- Highlighted Key Terms in the margins help students focus on the most important concepts.
- INTRODUCTION TO BUSINESS LAW's continually updated coverage of evolving issues reflects the changing landscape regarding international, domestic, social media, and online legal issues.
- Emphasizing core business law topics, concise 20-page chapters provide a manageable amount of content with just the right amount of detail.
1. Introduction to Law.
2. Business Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility.
3. Comparative Legal Systems and International Law.
4. Constitutional, Statutory, Administrative, and Common Law.
5. Courts, Litigation, and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
UNIT 2: TORTS.
7. Intentional Torts and Business Torts.
8. Negligence, Strict Liability and Product Liability.
9. Cyberlaw and Privacy.
UNIT 3: CONTRACTS AND THE UCC.
10. Forming a Contract.
11. Requirements for a Contract.
12. Performance of a Contract.
13. Practical Contracts.
15. Negotiable Instruments.
16. Sales and Secured Transactions.
UNIT 4: AGENCY AND EMPLOYMENT LAW.
17. Agency Law.
18. Employment Law.
19. Employment Discrimination.
20. Labor Law.
UNIT 5: THE LIFECYCLE OF A BUSINESS.
21. Starting a Business: LLCs and other Options.
UNIT 6: GOVERNMENT REGULATION.
24. Securities and Antitrust.
25. Consumer Protection.
26. Environmental Law.
27. Accountants’ Liability.
UNIT 7: PROPERTY.
28. Intellectual Property.
29. Real Property and Landlord-Tenant Law.
30. Personal Property and Bailment.
31. Estate Planning.
Appendix A: The Constitution of the US.
Appendix B: The UCC.
Appendix C: Answer Key.
Table of Cases.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Expand students' understanding and streamline class preparation with the numerous instructor resources available on this edition's robust companion website. Easily download password-protected instructor resources, including the Instructor's Manual, Test Bank, and PowerPoint® slides.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your learning management system, your classroom, or wherever you want!