Request for consultation
Current, succinct, and student-friendly, ESSENTIALS OF THE LEGAL ENVIRONMENT, 5E delivers complete one-semester coverage of business law and its environment in a straightforward, nontechnical style. Cases are summarized by the authors and integrated throughout chapters. Miller explains legal issues and court decisions with minimal legal jargon while keeping students engaged with the material. Hands-on applications help students strengthen their critical thinking skills as well as think through ethical dilemmas before they confront them in the workplace. The book explores how traditional law has been applied to issues involving the Internet and how the laws of other nations deal with topics discussed in the text. In addition to Cases and Case Problems featuring issues from legal disputes in 2013 and 2014, the fifth edition includes an all-new chapter on Internet Law, Social Media, and Privacy, new Managerial Strategy features, new Preventing Legal Disputes features, and more. Part of the Cengage Advantage Books series, this paperback provides an affordable legal environment text with high-quality content options and excerpted cases designed for the price-conscious student.
- Revised and completely up to date, ESSENTIALS OF THE LEGAL ENVIRONMENT, 5E offers the most current coverage available. Most Cases and Case Problems feature issues from legal disputes in 2013 and 2014, providing students with the latest information and court decisions.
- NEW! An all-new Chapter 9 is devoted to Internet Law, Social Media, and Privacy, highlighting the latest trends, issues, and practices.
- REVISED! The Mortgages and Foreclosures chapter has been deleted. The latest information on mortgages is covered in Chapter 15, Creditors' Rights and Bankruptcy.
- NEW! Managerial Strategy features. These describe practical issues facing management, including ways to think about and anticipate these issues and strategies for overcoming them.
- NEW! Preventing Legal Disputes. These features offer guidance and strategies businesspeople can use to avoid legal disputes and litigation.
- Online Developments. Included in select chapters, this feature explores how traditional legal concepts or laws have been applied in cyberspace.
- Exam Prep. To help students prepare for quizzes and exams, each chapter concludes with "Issue Spotters" as a means to check their comprehension of some of the legal topics covered in the chapter. This section also directs students to the companion website where interactive quizzes offer additional preparation for quizzes and exams. Answers to the "Issue Spotters" are available at the end of the text.
- Excerpted Cases. Streamlined cases help students quickly understand how they relate to chapter concepts. Case excerpts are presented using a standard format of "Background and Facts," "In the Words of the Court," "Decision and Remedy," and either "For Critical Analysis" or a "Why Is This Case Important?" discussion.
- Ethics Emphasis. Helping students think through issues before they face them in the workplace, real-world "Ethical Issues" address an ethical dimension of topics covered in the chapter.
- Critical Thinking. The text provides numerous exercises to help students sharpen their critical thinking skills and apply legal concepts to real-life business practice. Features and cases conclude with Critical Thinking questions to drive home key concepts. "Reviewing" features at the end of each chapter pose a series of questions about a hypothetical scenario, requiring students to apply legal reasoning skills to decide how the principle of law presented should be applied to the situation. In addition, select chapters include an "In Your Court" end-of-chapter case problem that challenges students to place themselves as the judge in the case described.
- International Perspectives. Highlighting how international law or the laws of other nations deal with specific legal concepts or topics discussed in the chapter, "International Perspectives" give students a broad awareness of the global legal environment. Also, "Beyond Our Borders" in select chapters detail how international laws or the laws of other nations deal with the specific legal topics presented in the text.
1. Business and Its Legal Environment.
Appendix to Chapter 1: Finding and Analyzing the Law.
2. The Courts and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
3. Business Ethics.
4. Business and the Constitution.
Unit II: THE PUBLIC ENVIRONMENT.
5. Administrative Law.
6. Torts and Cyber Torts.
7. Criminal Law and Cyber Crime.
8. Intellectual Property Rights.
9. Internet Law, Social Media, and Privacy.
10. International Law in a Global Economy.
Unit III: THE COMMERCIAL ENVIRONMENT.
11. Business Organizations.
12. The Formation of Traditional and E-Contracts.
13. Contract Performance, Breach, and Remedies.
14. Sales, Leases, and Product Liability.
15. Creditors' Rights and Bankruptcy.
Unit IV: THE EMPLOYMENT ENVIRONMENT.
16. Employment, Immigration, and Labor Law.
17. Employment Discrimination.
Unit V: THE REGULATORY ENVIRONMENT.
18. Environmental Law.
19. Antitrust Law and Promoting Competition.
20. Investor Protection and Corporate Governance.
Appendix A: How to Brief Cases and Analyze Case Problems.
Appendix B: The Constitution of the United States.
Appendix C: Answers to the Issue Spotters.
Appendix D: Sample Answers for Business Case Problems with Sample Answer.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
When you adopt ESSENTIALS OF LEGAL ENVIRONMENT, you and your students have access to a rich array of teaching and learning resources that you won't find anywhere else.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cognero® is a flexible online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.