Request for consultation
One of the best-selling drawing texts in the market, DRAWING: A CONTEMPORARY APPROACH goes beyond conventional approaches, emphasizing the emotional, intellectual, spiritual, and social significance of art. The authors trace the development of today's art from that of the past, showing drawing's meaning and continuity. DRAWING: A CONTEMPORARY APPROACH offers a combination of effective pedagogy, good exercises, and high-quality, contemporary drawings as models, focusing on contemporary artists who draw in a multicultural world. This Advantage Edition offers the same content in an economically priced, unbound, three-hole punch, loose-leaf format.
- The Sixth Edition features a streamlined narrative that focuses students on the practical aspects of learning to draw, while offering clear and insightful discussions of the evolution of drawing and its concepts.
- The book's exercises maintain a balance between serious attention to sound techniques and a lighthearted approach to the drawing process.
- The updated image program in the Sixth Edition features 25% new examples, displaying the most recent developments in works on paper.
- The text layout and design features a more generous trim size to better accommodate larger images.
- The authors present problems in a logical sequence and introduce fundamentals along with the diverse techniques and materials to help students develop their drawing skills and style. A multi-level approach to drawing promotes independent development and thematic thinking.
- Innovative problems stimulate students to make sensitive, intellectual, and emotive responses in solving them.
- "Sketchbook Projects" that provide practical exercises related to chapter content, allow students to get hands-on practice of techniques. "Computer exercises" and illustrations reflect technological influences on drawing as an art form.
- Outstanding works by contemporary professional artists expose students to the multitude of current trends in drawing. Art of the last two decades is given broad coverage and analysis to give students a truly contemporary view of drawing.
- Critical analysis, using both formal and conceptual approaches, as well as critical vocabulary familiarizes students with today's art issues and practices.
- Discussions of artists' methods, and quotations from artists on the nature of their drawing, give students insight into the drawing process.
Part I: INTRODUCTION TO DRAWING.
1. Drawing: Definitions and Purposes.
2. Learning to See: Gesture and Other Beginning Approaches.
Part II: SPATIAL RELATIONSHIPS OF THE ART ELEMENTS.
3. Shape /Plane and Volume.
8. Antiperspective: The Triumph of the Picture Plane.
Part III: A CONTEMPORARY VIEW
9. Organizing the Picture Plane.
10. Thematic Development.
11. A Look at Drawing Today.
Part IV: PRACTICAL GUIDES.
Guide A: Materials.
Guide B: Keeping a Sketchbook.
Guide C: Breaking Artistic Blocks and Making Critical Assessments.
Guide D: Presentation.
"The authors combine descriptive and evocative language to direct the student artist toward the development of his or her own work. The authors are able to demystify the drawing process without sacrificing an understanding of its expressive power or of the complexity of artistic ideas it embodies. The inclusion of a diverse range of artists and artworks illustrates an equally diverse range of ideas that are made relevant to the act of drawing." -- Ruth Trotter, The University of La Verne
"The authors write beautifully on the philosophy of drawing and art and seem committed to educating readers on the changes that drawing has undergone in the last hundred years. They show us with a number of vivid illustrations and examples that drawing is a unique art form capable of bringing out the most creative impulses that an artist might be searching for…""[They] have written a comprehensive exploration of the complexities of drawing today. They show us, through historical references with descriptive and inspirational illustrations, how drawing has progressed from its status as a preliminary layout tool to an art form in its own right….""DRAWING: A CONTEMPORARY APPROACH is an important text for anyone interested in drawing as it is currently being practiced. It allows us to see the possibilities within what the authors reveal as an exciting and dynamic medium." -- Craig Lloyd, College of Mt. Saint Joseph
"I found myself really inspired by the smart and fresh approaches to student projects. As a whole, I thought they functioned well as an intersection of new and old approaches to drawing, touching on obvious, time-tested approaches such as continuous contour of plants, but also opening up the idea of drawing to new techniques such as copy machine transfer…""It is rare that a book can communicate effectively across the landscape of art, addressing the multivalent range of students’ experience levels and interests. I believe this book does an exemplary job of addressing students’ needs as both thinkers and makers, and I would gladly use this text in my classroom." -- Dylan Collins, Kent State University
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Resource Center Instant Access Code
Packed with tools to enhance your course, this new online Resource Center features rich learning resources, including glossary terms, flashcards, updated weblinks, sketchbook projects, crossword puzzles, current examples of student artwork and more. It also includes the exciting new Art Studio, an easy-to-use online tool that enables you to efficiently critique students' submissions and grade and track assignments online without the hassle of e-mailing, receiving, and managing large files. It's also a great way for students to interactively comment on the work of their peers.
Resource Center Instant Access Code
Packed with tools to enhance your drawing skills, this new online Resource Center features rich learning resources, including glossary terms, flashcards, updated weblinks, sketchbook projects, crossword puzzles, current examples of student artwork and more. It also includes the exciting new Art Studio, an easy-to-use online tool that enables you to avoid the hassle of emailing large files by simply uploading your assignments to Art Studio. You'll also be able to see and interactively comment on the work of fellow students.