Request for consultation
Concise and user-friendly, BUSINESS LAW: TEXT AND EXERCISES, 8E captures basic business law in a straightforward, practical manner. As part of the Cengage Advantage book collection, this paperback book offers you and your students one of the most cost-effective and efficient choices for your business law survey course. This edition is designed to help your students' master key legal concepts and doctrines, while providing them with practical experience in applying basic legal principles to common business situations. Hypothetical examples and brief summaries of real court case examples illustrate contemporary legal principles. Using a proven formula for success, BUSINESS LAW: TEXT AND EXERCISES continues to offer the most approachable and practical approach for the course.
- NEW CHAPTER ON INTERNET LAW, SOCIAL MEDIA, AND PRIVACY EXPLORES THE LEGAL IMPACT OF ONLINE PLATFORMS. Students examine how social media and other online platforms have influenced today’s legal landscape as well as individual privacy issues. Timely content and an easy-to-understand format clearly demonstrate areas of business law affected by the ever-changing technological advances in the workplace and business world.
- EXPANDED CONTENT ON EMPLOYMENT DISCRIMINATION ADDRESSES TIMELY WORKPLACE TOPICS. Students examine the legal aspects of key issues, such as discrimination that’s based on gender or online harassment. All-new examples, features, and presentations help students develop a basic, yet comprehensive, understanding of the issues facing employers, including discrimination and how to avoid legal disputes with employees.
- EVERY REAL-WORLD CASE EXAMPLE IS NEW IN THIS EDITION AND REFLECTS THE LATEST DEVELOPMENTS. Based on either a 2013 or 2014 case, these fact-based examples allow students to quickly read through the briefed facts and legal issue of a case. Students then learn how actual courts apply legal principles. These fresh and interesting cases apply concepts to the very latest recognizable real-life scenarios and situations.
- NEARLY 40 NEW "HIGHLIGHTING THE POINT" FEATURES HELP STUDENTS FOCUS ON A SPECIFIC KEY POINT OF THE LAW. Students gain a better understanding of business law specifics as these features describe everyday scenarios and apply a particular point of law to hypothetical circumstances. A boldfaced question emphasizes the legal point in dispute and subsequent text helps students understand a potential ruling or outcome for that scenario.
- MORE THAN 50 NEW REAL-WORLD CASE PROBLEMS DETAIL A PROVEN PROBLEM-SOLVING PROCESS. These new, intriguing case problems at the end of every chapter are almost all based on 2013 or 2014 cases and are condensed to present an easier, more basic problem-solving process for your students.
- 50 NEW BOLDED TERMS APPEAR IN "TERMS AND CONCEPTS FOR REVIEW" SECTIONS. These boldfaced terms, new to this edition, appear at the end of every chapter to build upon and expand students’ legalese vocabulary. Margin definitions are provided for each of these new terms. In addition, these terms are now conveniently located in the Glossary.
- "ISSUE SPOTTERS" FOCUS ON KEY LEGAL ISSUES WITH ANSWERS IN APPENDIX C. This unique feature presents two hypothetical questions at the end of every chapter that highlight a particular legal issue presented in the chapter. Parenthetical cross-references pinpoint the sections where the answers can be found. Students read the appropriate text to develop an answer and can review sample answers in Appendix C. These sample answers reinforce understanding for students who formulate a correct answer and offer a learning aid to those who are struggling.
- "FACING (AND ANSWERING) A LEGAL PROBLEM" PRESENT STRAIGHTFORWARD LEGAL PROBLEMS. Each chapter begins with one of these brief, basic problems and ends with a question that prompts students to look for the answer as they read the chapter. End-of-chapter material highlights an "Answering the Legal Problem" feature that repeats the legal scenario and then answers the legal question presented at the beginning of the chapter. This unique repetitive learning tool reinforces basic business law concepts.
- TEAR-OUT WORK SETS PROVIDE ADDITIONAL PRACTICE. Every chapter concludes with a two-page Work Set on perforated pages that you can use for homework or quizzes. Each Work Set features true-false and multiple-choice sections as well as an "Answering More Legal Problems" section that uses a hypothetical scenario problem with a question-and-answer format. This unique feature reinforces the goal of providing a solid understanding of basic business law concepts through various learning exercises. Answers to the Work Sets are available online in the Instructor’s Manual.
- LEARNING OUTCOMES AND CHAPTER SUMMARIES EMPHASIZE IMPORTANT CONCEPTS AND KEY PRINCIPLES. Each chapter opens with four or more Learning Outcomes that focus on critical concepts and principles in the chapter. Learning Outcomes are repeated in the margins next to related text sections. Chapter Summaries at the end of each chapter repeat each Learning Outcome and provide information from the chapter to fulfill the Learning Outcome. This repetitive use of Learning Outcomes helps to reinforce the basic information a student should know after reading each chapter.
- "HIGHLIGHTING THE POINT" FEATURES AND NUMBERED EXAMPLES DETAIL THE RELEVANCE OF LEGAL PRINCIPLES TO BUSINESS TODAY. This book provides a basic introduction of business law to all students, regardless of their major or field of study. Recognizing that business law is a vital part of everyday business and workplace settings, the book’s "Highlighting the Point" features and Numbered Examples place the legal concepts and principles being discussed into hypothetical scenarios and situations that students will recognize. This helps simplify the legal concepts into understandable business-oriented applications.
1. Introduction to the Law and Our Legal System.
2. Ethics in Business.
3. The Courts and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
4. Constitutional Law.
5. Tort Law.
6. Intellectual Property.
7. Internet Law, Social Media, and Privacy.
8. Criminal Law and Cyber Crime.
UNIT II: CONTRACTS.
9. Introduction to Contracts.
10. Offer and Acceptance.
13. The Legality of Agreements.
14. Voluntary Consent.
15. Written Contracts.
16. Third Party Rights.
17. Contract Discharge and Remedies.
UNIT III: SALES AND LEASES.
18. Introduction to Sales and Lease Contracts.
19. Title and Risk of Loss.
20. Performance and Breach.
21. Warranties and Product Liability.
22. Consumer Protection.
UNIT IV: NEGOTIABLE INSTRUMENTS.
23. The Essentials of Negotiability.
24. Transferability and Liability.
25. Checks and Banking in the Digital Age.
UNIT V: AGENCY AND EMPLOYMENT.
27. Employment, Immigration, and Labor Law.
28. Employment Discrimination.
UNIT VI: BUSINESS ORGANIZATIONS.
29. Sole Proprietorships, Partnerships, and Limited Liability Companies.
30. Formation and Termination of a Corporation.
31. Management and Ownership of a Corporation.
UNIT VII: CREDIT AND RISK.
32. Secured Transactions.
33. Creditors’ Rights and Remedies.
UNIT VIII: PROPERTY.
36. Personal Property and Bailments.
37. Real Property.
38. Landlord and Tenant Law.
39. Wills and Trusts.
UNIT NINE: SPECIAL TOPICS.
40. Administrative Law.
41. Antitrust Law.
42. International Law.
Appendix A: The Constitution of the United States.
Appendix B: Article 2 of the Uniform Commercial Code.
Appendix C: Answers to the Issue Spotters.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Expand students’ understanding and streamline class preparation with the numerous instructor and student resources available on this edition’s robust companion website. Easily download password-protected instructor resources, including the Instructor’s Manual, Test Bank, and PowerPoint® slides.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cognero® is a flexible online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.