Request for consultation
Brief, accessible, and sophisticated, ANALYZING POLITICS, Sixth Edition, presents a clear outline of the discipline of political science and helps students understand the practical and immediate uses of applying analytical approaches to the study of politics. This text is notable for its early coverage of methods and theory and the use of a case study approach—introduced and used to acquire in-depth information about a particular subject while also pointing to its limitations. While the text covers fundamental concepts with contemporary, political examples, discussions of feminism and environmentalism offer a distinct departure from other texts and a unique opportunity to professors and students of political science. The Sixth Edition incorporates a new theme: It introduces the reader to some ways in which political science evaluates and seeks to unravel some of the complexities of 21st century politics. Because politics is rarely straightforward, students of political science need to be prepared for surprises, surprises so multilayered that they can be conceptualized as puzzles or riddles. The new edition confronts these complexities directly and brings them into every chapter of the book.
- The new theme-how political science can be used to unravel complexities of 21st century politics—is carried out pedagogically in each chapter, serving as an explicit intellectual framework.
- Each chapter now begins with a contemporary puzzle and photo that relates to the chapter's topic and poses questions that will be examined throughout the chapter.
- These included puzzles are: the discrepancy between what people have the potential to know regarding political issues and what they do, in fact, know (Chapter 1); Senator Marco Rubio's 2012 response to a question about the earth's age (Chapter 2); Project Prevention, a controversial California organization that pays people to get sterilized (Chapter 3); the use of drones (Chapter 4); the disagreement surrounding President Obama's ideological identity (Chapter 5); Chancellor Merkel's statement about Germany's special and perpetual obligation to make ever present knowledge of the Holocaust while taking measures to ensure the absence of Nazism itself (Chapter 6); climate displacement and its gender dimensions (Chapter 7); competing voices of the Arab Spring (Chapter 8) and the Republican Party's Growth and Opportunity Project about how they can win in 2016 (Chapter 9).
- Puzzle icons appear in the margin within the chapter to identify concepts or details that are especially relevant to the puzzle as well as key evidence to use in analyzing within the larger context of the chapter's themes.
- "Analyzing the Puzzle of
- New "Controversies in
- Updated research and current information throughout including: -New research on quantitative analysis, strengths and limitations of different research strategies, including a discussion from Nate Silver on the Primary Model and the TimeforChangeModel (Chapter 2) -Incorporation of targeted killings by the U.S.; new coverage of nongovernmental organizations and Transnational Advocacy Networks (Chapter 3) -new content on mitigation policy and adaptation in the discussion of environmentalism (Chapter 7) -expanded discussion of direct lobbying, and new research and info on interest groups ; completely updated coverage of PACs; expanded discussion of protest using examples like the 2013 National Day of Protest and Occupy Wall Street; updated statistics on Support for Presidential Candidates across Various Subgroups; and a thoughtful analysis of the 2012 presidential election and the Romney and Obama campaigns (Chapter 9).
- A new design offers a more open and readable page with brighter photographs.
- The text features integrated coverage of other cultures. For example, Chapter 4, "Political Theory: Examining the Ethical Foundations of Politics," covers the Islamic Taliban movement in Afghanistan, while Chapter 8, "Comparative Politics I: Democracy and Non-Democracy," offers information on China.
- Ethical discussions take place throughout the book. The author does not offer easy answers but rather presents the issues in such a way that students must think carefully and critically about them.
- Study questions at the end of each chapter are a unique strength of this book. More extensive than those found in other texts, the questions start by asking students to articulate key concepts in their own words, then asks them to consider the various implications of those ideas, and finally asks them to make connections between those ideas, current events, and their own lives.
- Sophisticated concepts are introduced in an accessible and non-threatening manner. The author explicitly connects concepts to real life so that students fully understand the complex topics presented and see how political decision-making shapes their own lives.
- All boxes throughout the book are organized into Concept Summary and Concept in Depth categories to enhance the book's pedagogical orientation. Instructors and students can use the Concept Summary boxes for reference and review, and move on to the Concept in Depth boxes for further study.
2. Political Science and Scientific Methods in Studying Politics.
3. Key Concepts in Political Science.
4. Political Theory: Examining the Ethical Foundations of Politics.
5. Political Ideologies I: Liberalism, Conservatism, and Socialism.
6. Political Ideologies II: Fascism.
7. Political Ideologies III: Feminism, Environmentalism, and Postmodernism.
8. Comparative Politics I: Democracy and Non-democracy.
9. Comparative Politics II: Interest Groups, Political Parties, Elections, and Media.
10. Comparative Politics III: Governing Democracies: Executives, Legislatures, and Judiciaries.
11. International Relations I: Analyzing Recent and Contemporary Events in International Politics.
12. International Relations II: Contemporary Issues.
"[The three most important factors that led me to select this text were] "1) accessibility/readability 2) coverage of topics 3) engaging in style - I like the examples used to 'hook' students' interest."-Jody Neathery-Castro, University of Nebraska-Omaha
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
A revised Instructor's Manual and Test Bank offers suggestions for class discussions, writing assignments, Internet and research projects, and exam questions to make course preparation easier. The instructor's manual and test bank have been updated with new material to reflect changes in the new edition.