Request for consultation
New features, up-to-date political news and analysis, and a great price make AMERICAN GOVERNMENT AND POLITICS TODAY: BRIEF EDITION, 2016-2017, a top seller. The text shows students how easily and effectively they can participate in the political process. Praised for its succinct, balanced coverage, clarity, and readability, the book examines all the key concepts of American government, while providing interesting student-oriented features that focus on active citizenship.
- An eight-page, full-color insert opens the book, with a variety of charts and infographics on topics such as demographics, economic issues, and elections.
- InterAct features direct students to Web activities that encourage informed, active citizenship.
- Chapter quizzes are longer and more rigorous.
- Updates throughout reflect current events, including the latest on same-sex marriage, marijuana laws, immigration policy, minimum wage laws, 2014 midterm elections and a look forward to the 2016 presidential election, U.S. relations with Russia, Iran, and ISIS, and more.
- Learning Outcomes open each chapter and correlate with each major section, giving students a roadmap to the book's key concepts.
- "At Issue" boxes focus on current events and controversies to provide discussion and conclude with "For Critical Analysis" questions.
- "Making a Difference" boxes at the end of each chapter promote student participation by exploring the questions "Why Should You Care?" and "What Can You Do?" and offering additional online resources.
- Full-page quizzes at the end of every chapter are correlated to the Learning Outcomes.
1. The Democratic Republic.
2. Forging a New Government: The Constitution.
4. Civil Liberties.
5. Civil Rights.
Part II: THE POLITICS OF AMERICAN DEMOCRACY.
6. Public Opinion, Political Socialization, and the Media.
7. Interest Groups and Political Parties.
8. Campaigns and Elections.
Part III: INSTITUTIONS OF AMERICAN GOVERNMENT.
9. The Congress.
10. The Presidency.
11. The Bureaucracy.
12. The Judiciary.
Part IV: POLICYMAKING.
13. Domestic and Economic Policy.
14. Foreign Policy.
Appendix A: The Declaration of Independence.
Appendix B: The Constitution of the United States.
Appendix C: Federalist Papers No. 10 and No. 51.