Request for consultation
Created for aspiring Health Information Management (HIM) and Health Information Technology (HIT) professionals in training, CASE STUDIES IN HEALTH INFORMATION MANAGEMENT, 3rd Edition helps readers bridge the gap between classroom theory and on-the-job application. More than a collection of fascinating cases, this versatile worktext challenges readers to work through problems with coordinating spreadsheets and forms while applying lessons from the classroom. Case studies feature the latest AHIMA domains and competencies, clearly mapping content in the readings to requirements for RHIA® and RHIT® certification exams in a handy correlation grid. New with the third edition, online learning resources avail readers to extra web content and reference materials, simulated professional forms, and spreadsheets for use in case-related exercises. The ideal complement to any HIM or HIT course, CASE STUDIES IN HEALTH INFORMATION MANAGEMENT, 3rd Edition is suitable for lab or practicum work, individual or group assignments, self-study, and as a professional desk reference.
- Broad Versatility: Updated to meet the latest credentialing standards, the third edition of CASE STUDIES IN HEALTH INFORMATION MANAGEMENT delivers a diverse collection of case scenarios appropriate for use across the AHIMA curricula and in a variety of classroom applications.
- NEW Correlations: A detailed correlation grid illustrates just where and how each case study relates to current program competencies for Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT®) and Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA®) certification exams.
- Updated Section Titles: Renamed for clarity, section headings in this worktext now correspond to the updated domain names and competencies required for the AHIMA’s RHIT® and RHIA® certifications.
- Extra Help: The Instructor Companion Website offers practical online resources, including additional references for working with the case studies in this book.
- Critical Topics: Case studies explore seven major HIM topics, including present-day issues in health data management, health care privacy and ethics, information technology, project and operations management, quality and performance, and statistics.
- Progressive Organization: Drawing readers into the subject-matter in small doses, this worktext starts with basic case studies on common situations before moving on to the more complex and difficult challenges HIM professionals face. This approach allows readers to practice critical-thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making skills as their knowledge base grows.
- Realistic Documents: Cases include representative versions of the HIM forms and documents used by HIM professionals, helping readers understand some of the basic record-keeping, compliance, and operational processes in health care today.
- Exam and Skills Mapping: To help readers prepare for certification exams, a detailed correlation grid connects cases to current AHIMA RHIA® and RHIT® domains and competencies. Updated section titles also make it easier for readers to draw key connections between domain names, classroom experiences, exam preparation activities, and essential skills.
- Long-lived Tool: This workhorse book complements any HIM or HIT course, serving as a go-to study resource for exams and certification prep, and later as a reliable desk reference on the job.
2. Information Protection: Access, Archival, Privacy, and Security.
3. Informatics, Analytics, and Data Use.
4. Revenue Management.
7. Healthcare Statistics and Research Methods.
"I utilize case studies in a variety of ways - Assignments; Discussion Boards; Lectures; Group Work"
"It is very comprehensive it can be used for a multitude of courses in an HIM program. Students only have to buy one book and use for their entire program length. The case studies are engaging and use real life scenarios."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as the Instructor’s Manual, case forms, and more. Designed to coordinate with the book, this companion site also includes extra references for working with the case studies.