Request for consultation
James Stewart's CALCULUS: EARLY TRANSCENDENTALS texts are widely renowned for their mathematical precision and accuracy, clarity of exposition, and outstanding examples and problem sets. Millions of students worldwide have explored calculus through Stewart's trademark style, while instructors have turned to his approach time and time again. In the Seventh Edition of CALCULUS: EARLY TRANSCENDENTALS, Stewart continues to set the standard for the course while adding carefully revised content. The patient explanations, superb exercises, focus on problem solving, and carefully graded problem sets that have made Stewart's texts best-sellers continue to provide a strong foundation for the Seventh Edition. From the most unprepared student to the most mathematically gifted, Stewart's writing and presentation serve to enhance understanding and build confidence. - See more at: http://www.cengage.com/search/productOverview.do?Ntt=9780538497909||90382724716634250358555003281120320949&N=16&Ntk=APG%7C%7CP_EPI&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial#Overview
- TOC change: For this edition, Stewart has combined the material that previously appeared in Chapters 1 and 2. This means that Calculus, 7e, and Calculus: Early Transcendentals, 7e, have the same number of chapters, allowing for a single Multivariable text, rather than two separate ET and LT versions. Chapters 1 and 2 have been combined – and some material has been moved to an appendix—to streamline the presentation of these early topics.
- Throughout the text, the author has revised the narrative as necessary to improve clarity and aid in student comprehension.
- NEW examples, margin notes, applications, and projects have been added. In addition, new collections of more challenging exercises called "Problems Plus" have been added, reinforcing concepts by requiring students to apply techniques from more than one chapter of the text. "Problems Plus" sections patiently show students how to approach a challenging problem.
- NEW! This edition has been updated with approximately 25% more exercises than the previous edition, giving students more opportunities to practice concepts they have learned.
- NEW "PS" icons denoting problem-solving margin notes are aimed at increasing instructors' awareness of this important aspect of Stewart's approach.
- UPDATED! Tools for Enriching Calculus—a free, online, interactive resource that allows Calculus students to work with animations that deepen their understanding of key concepts by helping them visualize the concepts they are learning—has been updated with new problems and a new Flash design that is more visually appealing and engaging to students.
- NEW-AND-IMPROVED! Exclusively from Cengage Learning, Enhanced WebAssign® offers an extensive online program for Stewart's Calculus, 7e, to encourage the practice that's so critical for concept mastery. The meticulously crafted pedagogy and exercises in our proven texts become even more effective in Enhanced WebAssign, supplemented by multimedia tutorial support and immediate feedback as students complete their assignments. Enhanced WebAssign for Stewart now includes opportunities for students to review prerequisite skills and content both at the start of the course (in conjunction with four diagnostic tests) and at the beginning of each section. In addition, at the problem-level, student can get extra help in the form of "math mentor" feedback and video solutions.
- NEW! Cengage YouBook is a Flash-based eBook that is interactive and customizable! Containing all the content from Stewart's Calculus, 7e, YouBook features a text edit tool that allows you to rewrite, delete, modify, or add to the textbook narrative as needed. With YouBook, you can quickly re-order entire chapters and sections or hide any content you don't teach to create an eBook that perfectly matches your syllabus. Additional media assets include interactive simulations, animations, and video clips that complement the traditional text presentation. The YouBook also lets you embed videos of your own or from YouTube directly into eBook pages.
- NEW! Interested in a simple way to complement your text and course content with study and practice materials? Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
- NEW! Hybrid versions of the text provide a less-expensive, shorter option for students using EWA. End-of-section problems are omitted from the text and appear online only.
- Four carefully crafted diagnostic tests in algebra, analytic geometry, functions, and trigonometry appear at the beginning of the text. These provide students with a convenient way to test their pre-existing knowledge and brush up on skill techniques they need to successfully begin the course. Answers are included, and students who need to improve will be referred to points in the text or on the book's website where they can seek help.
- Conceptual exercises encourage the development of communication skills by explicitly requesting descriptions, conjectures, and explanations. These exercises stimulate critical thinking and reinforce the concepts of calculus.
- A wealth of engaging projects reinforce concepts. "Writing Projects" ask students to compare present-day methods with those of the founders of calculus. "Discovery Projects" anticipate results to be discussed later. "Applied Projects" feature content that engages student interest and demonstrates the real-world use of mathematics. "Laboratory Projects" anticipate results to be discussed later or encourage discovery through pattern recognition.
- Comprehensive review sections follow each chapter and further support conceptual understanding. A "Concept Check" and "True/False Quiz" allow students to prepare for upcoming tests through ideas and skill-building.
- "Strategies" sections (based on George Polya's problem-solving methodology) help students select what techniques they'll need to solve problems in situations where the choice is not obvious, and help them develop true problem-solving skills and intuition.
- Additional exercises have been added to the existing end-of-chapter collections of more challenging exercises called "Problems Plus". These sections reinforce concepts by requiring students to apply techniques from more than one chapter of the text, and by patiently showing them how to approach a challenging problem.
- Historical and biographical margin notes enliven the course and show students that mathematics was developed to help explain and represent natural phenomena.
- Stewart's writing style speaks clearly and directly to students, guiding them through key ideas, theorems, and problem-solving steps, and encouraging them to think as they read and learn calculus.
- Every concept is supported by thoughtfully worked examples—many with step-by-step explanations—and carefully chosen exercises. The quality of this pedagogical system is what sets Stewart's texts above others.
- Examples are not only models for problem solving or a means of demonstrating techniques; they also encourage students to develop an analytic view of the subject. To provide further insight into mathematical concepts, many of these detailed examples display solutions that are presented graphically, analytically, and/or numerically. Margin notes expand on and clarify the steps of the solution.
- The text's clean, user-friendly design provides a clear presentation of calculus. The art program, with its functional and consistent use of color, helps students identify and review mathematical concepts more easily.
- The topic of Differential Equations is unified by the theme of modeling. Qualitative, numerical, and analytic approaches are given equal consideration.
- Stewart draws on physics, engineering, chemistry, biology, medicine, and social science to motivate students and demonstrate the power of calculus as a problem-solving tool in a wide variety of fields.
- Stewart's presentation repeatedly provides answers to the question, When will I use this? You'll find many examples of how calculus is used as a problem-solving tool in fields such as physics, engineering, chemistry, biology, medicine, and the social sciences.
- Stewart's text offers an extensive collection of more than 8,000 quality exercises. Each exercise set is carefully graded, progressing from skill-development problems to more challenging problems involving applications and proofs. The wide variety of types of exercises includes many technology-oriented, thought-provoking, real, and engaging problems.
2. Limits and Derivatives
3. Differentiation Rules
4. Applications of Differentiation
6. Applications of Integration
7. Techniques of Integration
8. Further Applications of Integration
9. Differential Equations
10. Parametric Equations and Polar Coordinates
11. Infinite Sequences and Series
12. Vectors and the Geometry of Space
13. Vector Functions
14. Partial Derivatives
15. Multiple Integrals
16. Vector Calculus
17. Second-Order Differential Equations
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Contains text-specific multiple-choice and free response test items
Online Instructor's Guide
Each section of the text is discussed from several viewpoints. The Instructor’s Guide contains suggested time to allot, points to stress, text discussion topics, core materials for lecture, workshop/discussion suggestions, group work exercises in a form suitable for handout, and suggested homework assignments.
Complete Solutions Manual, Chapters 10-17 for Stewart's Multivariable Calculus, 8th
This manual includes worked-out solutions to every exercise in Multivariable Calculus, 8e (Chapters 10-17 of Calculus, 8e). This manual can be found on the Instructors Companion Site.
CourseMate Instant Access
Complement your text and course content with study and practice materials. Cengage Learning Calculus CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook specific website. Calculus goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
Complete Solutions Manual, Chapters 1-11 for Stewart's Single Variable Calculus: Early Transcendentals, 8th
This manual contains solutions to all exercises from the text. This manual can be found on the Instructors Companion Site.
Student Solutions Manual
Contains fully worked-out solutions to all of the odd-numbered exercises in the text, giving students a way to check their answers and ensure that they took the correct steps to arrive at an answer.
Student Solutions Manual, Chs. 10-17
This manual includes worked-out solutions to every odd-numbered exercise in Multivariable Calculus, 8e (Chapters 1-11 of Calculus, 8e).
CourseMate Instant Access
The more you study, the greater your success. You can make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place—online with CourseMate. You can use CourseMate to read the textbook, take notes, watch videos and take practice quizzes.