Request for consultation
Designed specifically for business, economics, or life/social sciences majors, CALCULUS: AN APPLIED APPROACH, BRIEF, Tenth Edition, motivates students while fostering understanding and mastery. The book emphasizes integrated and engaging applications that show students the real-world relevance of topics and concepts. Applied problems drawn from government sources, industry, current events, and other disciplines provide well-rounded examples and appeal to students’ diverse interests. The Tenth Edition builds upon its applications emphasis through updated exercises and relevant examples. Pedagogical features--from algebra review to study tips--continue to provide extra guidance and practice. The companion website, LarsonAppliedCalculus.com, offers free access to multiple tools and resources to supplement students’ learning. Stepped-out solution videos with instruction are available at CalcView.com for selected exercises throughout the text.
- New! Data Download: For selected real-life data sets or lists with more than six data points, pre-populated spreadsheets are now available at LarsonBriefCalculus.com. The text includes icons that designate tables and/or lists for which data sets may be accessed.
- New! Stepped-out solution videos with instruction are available at CalcView.com for selected exercises throughout the text. The selected textbook exercises have a QR code next to the exercise number for easy access via smart phone.
- New! A new website, LarsonBriefCalculus.com, developed by Ron Larson, offers students free access to multiple tools and resources. Your students can take a diagnostic test, watch lesson videos, download data sets, and much more.
- Every section begins with a list of objectives that highlights the learning outcomes of that section and provides instructors with a tool for lesson planning.
- A wide variety of relevant examples--each of which is titled for easy reference--includes solutions presented graphically, analytically, and/or numerically to provide further insight into mathematical concepts. Examples that illustrate real-life situations are identified with an icon.
- For instructors who wish to incorporate technology, optional Tech Tutor boxes provide guidance on using technology to ease lengthy calculations, present a graphical solution, or discuss where using technology can lead to misleading or wrong solutions. In addition, exercises requiring technology are identified with a graphing calculator icon.
- A Summarize feature guides students in creating section-level concept summaries-- helping them process and organize key concepts while providing a valuable study tool.
- How Do You See It? exercises ask students to draw conclusions about information presented visually. Requiring little or no calculation, these exercises check students’ conceptual understanding of key concepts.
- The CalcChat.com website provides tutorial help and worked-out solutions to the odd-numbered exercises in the text.
The Cartesian Plane and the Distance Formula. Graphs of Equations. Lines in the Plane and Slope. Functions. Limits. Continuity.
The Derivative and the Slope of a Graph. Some Rules for Differentiation. Rates of Change: Velocity and Marginals. The Product and Quotient Rules. The Chain Rule.
Higher-Order Derivatives. Implicit Differentiation. Related Rates.
3. APPLICATIONS OF THE DERIVATIVE.
Increasing and Decreasing Functions. Extrema and the First-Derivative Test. Concavity and the Second-Derivative Test. Optimization Problems. Business and Economics Applications. Asymptotes. Curve Sketching: A Summary. Differentials and Marginal Analysis.
4. EXPONENTIAL AND LOGARITHMIC FUNCTIONS.
Exponential Functions. Natural Exponential Functions. Derivatives of Exponential Functions. Logarithmic Functions. Derivatives of Logarithmic Functions. Exponential Growth and Decay.
5. INTEGRATION AND ITS APPLICATIONS.
Antiderivatives and Indefinite Integrals. Integration by Substitution and the General Power Rule. Exponential and Logarithmic Integrals. Area and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. The Area of a Region Bounded by Two Graphs. The Definite Integral as the Limit of a Sum.
6. TECHNIQUES OF INTEGRATION.
Integration by Parts and Present Value. Integration Tables. Numerical Integration. Improper Integrals.
7. FUNCTIONS OF SEVERAL VARIABLES.
The Three-Dimensional Coordinate System. Surfaces in Space. Functions of Several Variables. Partial Derivatives. Extrema of Functions of Two Variables. Lagrange Multipliers. Least Squares Regression Analysis. Double Integrals and Area in the Plane.
Applications of Double Integrals.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Edition for Calculus: An Applied Approach, 10e
Instructor Sample/Review copy of Calculus: An Applied Approach, 10e.