Request for consultation
Reflecting Cengage Learning's commitment to offering flexible teaching solutions and value for students and instructors, this new hybrid version features the instructional presentation found in CALCULUS AN APPLIED APPROACH, Ninth Edition while delivering end-of-section exercises online in Enhanced WebAssign®. The result—a briefer printed text that engages students online! Designed specifically for business, economics, or life/social sciences majors, CALCULUS: AN APPLIED APPROACH, Ninth Edition, motivates students while fostering understanding and mastery. The book emphasizes integrated and engaging applications that show students the real-world relevance of topics and concepts. Applied problems drawn from government sources, industry, current events, and other disciplines provide well-rounded examples and appeal to students' diverse interests. The Ninth Edition builds upon its applications emphasis through updated exercises and relevant examples. Pedagogical features—from algebra review to study tips—continue to provide extra guidance and practice.
- NEW! Hybrid versions of the text provide a less-expensive, shorter option for students using EWA. End-of-section problems are omitted from the text and appear online only.
- New! Chapter on Differential Equations, includes topics on solutions of differential equations, separation of variables, and first-order linear differential equations.
- New! Summarize guides students in creating section-level concept summaries. Summarize is aimed at helping students process and organize key concepts, while providing a valuable study tool.
- New and Revised! Based on analyses of actual student usage data, the Exercise Sets available in both EWA and the eBook have been revised to improve student comprehension. Exercises progress from skill-development problems to more challenging, real-life applications—all of which can be customized to the difficulty level of the instructor's choice.
- NEW! Interested in a simple way to complement your text and course content with study and practice materials? Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
- Every section begins with a list of objectives that highlight the learning outcomes of that section and provide instructors a tool for lesson planning.
- Appearing in the middle of each chapter, Mid-Chapter Quizzes are single-page tests that let students practice skills and concepts learned in the chapter. This opportunity for self-assessment helps uncover potential weaknesses that might require further review of the material.
- A wide variety of relevant examples—each of which is titled for easy reference—include solutions presented graphically, analytically, and/or numerically to provide further insight into mathematical concepts. Examples that illustrate real-life situations are identified with an icon.
- Tech Tutor boxes provide guidance on using technology to ease lengthy calculations, present a graphical solution, or discuss where using technology can lead to misleading or wrong solutions. In addition, exercises requiring technology are identified with a graphing calculator icon.
The Cartesian Plane and the Distance Formula. Graphs of Equations. Lines in the Plane and Slope. Functions. Limits. Continuity.
The Derivative and the Slope of a Graph. Some Rules for Differentiation. Rates of Change: Velocity and Marginals. The Product and Quotient Rules. The Chain Rule. Higher-Order Derivatives. Implicit Differentiation. Related Rates.
3. APPLICATIONS OF THE DERIVATIVE.
Increasing and Decreasing Functions. Extrema and the First-Derivative Test. Concavity and the Second-Derivative Test. Optimization Problems. Business and Economics Applications. Asymptotes. Curve Sketching: A Summary. Differentials and Marginal Analysis.
4. EXPONENTIAL AND LOGARITHMIC FUNCTIONS.
Exponential Functions. Natural Exponential Functions. Derivatives of Exponential Functions. Logarithmic Functions. Derivatives of Logarithmic Functions. Exponential Growth and Decay.
5. INTEGRATION AND ITS APPLICATIONS.
Antiderivatives and Indefinite Integrals. Integration by Substitution and the General Power Rule. Exponential and Logarithmic Integrals. Area and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. The Area of a Region Bounded by Two Graphs. The Definite Integral as the Limit of a Sum.
6. TECHNIQUES OF INTEGRATION.
Integration by Parts and Present Value. Integration Tables. Numerical Integration. Improper Integrals.
7. FUNCTIONS OF SEVERAL VARIABLES.
The Three-Dimensional Coordinate System. Surfaces in Space. Functions of Several Variables. Partial Derivatives. Extrema of Functions of Two Variables. Lagrange Multipliers. Least Squares Regression Analysis. Double Integrals and Area in the Plane. Applications of Double Integrals.
8. TRIGONOMETRIC FUNCTIONS.
Radian Measure of Angles. The Trigonometric Functions. Graphs of Trigonometric Functions. Derivatives of Trigonometric Functions. Integrals of Trigonometric Functions.
9. PROBABILITY AND CALCULUS.
Discrete Probability. Continuous Random Variables. Expected Value and Variance.
10. SERIES AND TAYLOR POLYNOMIALS.
Sequences. Series and Convergence. p-Series and the Ratio Test. Power Series and Taylor's Theorem. Taylor Polynomials. Newton's Method.
11. DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS.
Solutions of Differential Equations. Separation of Variables. First-Order Linear Differential Equations. Applications of Differential Equations.
APPENDIX A: PRECALCULUS REVIEW.
The Real Number Line and Order. Absolute Value and Distance on the Real Number Line. Exponents and Radicals. Factoring Polynomials. Fractions and Rationalization.
APPENDIX B: ALTERNATIVE INTRODUCTION TO THE FUNDAMENTAL THEOREM OF CALCULUS.
APPENDIX C: FORMULAS.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Edition for Calculus: An Applied Approach, 10e
Instructor Sample/Review copy of Calculus: An Applied Approach, 10e.