Request for consultation
Provide beginning programmers with a guide to developing object-oriented program logic with Farrell's AN OBJECT-ORIENTED APPROACH TO PROGRAMMING LOGIC AND DESIGN, 4E. This text takes a unique, language-independent approach to ensure students develop a strong foundation in traditional programming principles and object-oriented concepts before learning the details of a specific programming language. The author presents object-oriented programming terminology without highly technical language, making the book ideal for students with no previous programming experience. Common business examples clearly illustrate key points. The book begins with a strong object-oriented focus in updated chapters that make even the most challenging programming concepts accessible. A wealth of updated programming exercises in every chapter provide diverse practice opportunities, while new Video Lessons by the author clarify and expand on key topics. Use this text alone or with a language-specific companion text that emphasizes C++, Java or Visual Basic for the solid introduction to object-oriented programming logic your students need for success.
- NEW ENGAGING VIDEO LESSONS FOR EACH CHAPTER EXPAND ON KEY CONCEPTS. To further clarify and build on concepts, each chapter in this edition offers three or more videos created and narrated by the text author.
- CAREFULLY UPDATED CHAPTERS ENSURE CLEAR EXPLANATIONS OF CHALLENGING PROGRAMMING CONCEPTS. All explanations throughout this edition have been carefully revised for maximum clarity, particularly ideal for students who have no prior programming experience. The book's presentation makes even the most challenging programming concepts accessible for beginning programmers.
- UPDATED PROGRAMMING EXERCISES IN EVERY CHAPTER PROVIDE DIVERSE PRACTICE OPPORTUNITIES. This edition offers an even greater variety of hands-on practice at the end of each chapter. All updated exercises have been carefully crafted to encourage a thorough exploration of programming concepts.
- THREE ONGOING CASE PROBLEMS IN EACH CHAPTER OFFER OPPORTUNITY FOR DEEPER ANALYSIS. Three running Case Problems continue throughout every chapter, requiring more analysis than the book's simpler programming problems. Use these Case Problems for group or individual student work. The multiple cases offer you flexibility in assignments.
- UNIQUE LANGUAGE-INDEPENDENT APPROACH PROVIDES SOLID FOUNDATION IN LOGIC AND PROGRAM DESIGN. The author cultivates a solid foundation in programming logic with an emphasis on conventions compatible with modern object-oriented languages, such as Java, Visual Basic, C++, or C#.
- EASY-TO-UNDERSTAND LANGUAGE AND PRACTICAL BUSINESS EXAMPLES CLEARLY ILLUSTRATE OBJECT-ORIENTED CONCEPTS. Engaging, understandable business examples throughout this edition require no special mathematical or accounting knowledge and clearly exemplify key points without overwhelming students with extraneous detail.
- VARIETY OF STUDY AIDS AND PRACTICE OPPORTUNITIES ENSURE STUDENTS ARE ACTIVELY LEARNING. Each chapter in this edition features a proven Summary, Key Terms, and helpful Review Questions. Special Debugging Exercises improve your students' abilities to critically examine code, while Case Projects bring together all of the concepts students are learning.
- FLEXIBLE TEXT IS IDEAL FOR USE ALONE TO EMPHASIZE OBJECT-ORIENTED CONCEPTS OR FOR USE PAIRED WITH A LANGUAGE-SPECIFIC COMPANION TEXT. You can emphasize object-oriented concepts from the start when you use this text alone in your logic course, or you can pair this edition with a companion language primer that emphasizes C++, Java, and Visual Basic.
- OPTIONAL VISUAL LOGIC SOFTWARE OFFERS POWERFUL, HANDS-ON RESOURCE FOR PERFECTING LOGIC AND PROGRAM DESIGN. To maximize your hands-on practice, Visual Logic is available with this text. This software provides a simple, yet powerful, tool for reinforcing logic and program design with flowcharts.
- OBJECT-ORIENTED FOCUS IS EMPHASIZED FROM THE BEGINNING OF THE BOOK. Classes, objects, behaviors and attributes are introduced early in the text, progressing to chapters detailing additional object-oriented topics, such as inheritance and exception handling. Most chapters also include a complete class example to demonstrate how chapter concepts apply.
2. Working with Classes, the Main Method, and Data.
3. Making Decisions.
6. Using Methods.
7. Object-Oriented Programming Concepts.
8. Advanced Array Concepts, Indexed Files, and Linked Lists.
9. Event-Driven Programming with Graphical User Interfaces.
10. Exception Handling.
11. System Modeling with UML.
12. Manipulating Larger Quantities of Data.
Appendix A: Conventions in this Book.
Appendix B: Flowchart Symbols.
Appendix C: Understanding Numbering Systems and Computer Codes.
Appendix D: Structure.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Resource CD-ROM
Make the most of your course with a wealth of teaching aids and tips for maximizing this edition of the text. Instructor's Manual and Sample Syllabus assist you in planning and organizing an effective, engaging course. PowerPoint® Presentations outline key concepts to guide classroom presentation. ExamView™ test banks let you quickly and easily create pen and paper or online tests to gauge student comprehension. Student Data Files, including source code or other practice problem files, reinforce concepts from the text. Solutions files provide answers to selected activities.
Just Enough Java™ Programs
JUST ENOUGH JAVA™ PROGRAMS TO ACCOMPANY JUST ENOUGH PROGRAMMING LOGIC AND DESIGN is specifically designed to be paired with Farrell's concise JUST ENOUGH PROGRAMMING LOGIC AND DESIGN. Together, the two books provide an ideal opportunity for students who want to learn the fundamentals of programming, while gaining exposure to an actual programming language. Readers discover how real Java code functions while still learning within the context of a traditional language-independent logic and design course.
Just Enough Java™ Programs
JUST ENOUGH JAVA™ PROGRAMS TO JUST ENOUGH ACCOMPANY PROGRAMMING LOGIC AND DESIGN is specifically designed to be paired with Farrell's concise JUST ENOUGH PROGRAMMING LOGIC AND DESIGN. Together, the two books provide an ideal opportunity for you to learn the fundamentals of programming, while gaining exposure to an actual programming language. You discover how real Java code functions while still learning within the strong context of a traditional language-independent logic and design course.