Request for consultation
C++ PROGRAMMING: FROM PROBLEM ANALYSIS TO PROGRAM DESIGN, Sixth Edition remains the definitive text for a first programming language course. D.S. Malik’s time-tested, student-centered methodology uses a strong focus on problem-solving and full-code examples to vividly demonstrate the how and why of applying programming concepts and utilizing C++ to work through a problem. This new edition includes updated end-of-chapter exercises, new debugging exercises, an earlier introduction to variables and a streamlined discussion of user-discussion of user-defined functions to best meet the needs of the modern CS1 course. An optional CourseMate brings C++ PROGRAMMING: FROM PROBLEM ANALYSIS TO PROGRAM DESIGN to life with interactive study tools including videos, quizzing, flashcards, and games. The CourseMate's digital Lab Manual offers additional hands-on exercises, allowing students to reinforce critical thinking through practice.
- NEW Reorganized content introduces variables earlier and streamlines user-defined functions in response to instructor demand.
- NEW Updated end-of-chapter exercises emphasize timely and relevant problems, providing ample opportunities for practice.
- NEW Optional CourseMate brings course concepts to life with digital Lab Manual activities, engaging videos, interactive quizzes, flashcards, and study games tied directly to the text.
- A full-color interior precisely displays syntax highlighting, emphasizing C++ keywords and comments for beginning programmers. More than 300 visual diagrams illuminate difficult concepts.
- Numbered full-code examples throughout walk students through the stages of Input, Output, Problem Analysis, and Algorithm Design to illustrate key topics in each chapter. Every programming example includes a full explanation and sample run.
2. Basic Elements of C++.
4. Control Structures I (Selection).
5. Control Structures II (Repetition).
6. User-Defined Functions.
7. Namespaces, the Class String, and User-Defined Simple Data Types.
9. Records (Structs).
10. Classes and Data Abstraction.
11. Inheritance and Composition.
12. Pointers, Classes, Virtual Functions, and Abstract Classes.
13. Operator Overloading and Templates.
14. Exception Handling.
16. Searching and Sorting.
17. Linked Lists.
18. Stacks and Queues.
Appendix A. Reserved Words.
Appendix B. Operator Precedence.
Appendix C. Character Sets.
Appendix D. Operators Overloading.
Appendix E. Additional C++ Topics.
Appendix F. Header Files.
Appendix G. Memory Size on a System and Random Number Generators.
Appendix H. Standard Template Library (STL).
Appendix I. Answers to Odd Numbered Exercises.
"Malik's text provides excellent organization and rich material!"
"Malik's text provides a very clear explanation of each topic."
"The programming examples in each of the chapters provide a comprehensive view of a program, from problem analysis to algorithm development to coding with comments."
"[The Malik text has] good lead-in examples motivating the various concepts, excellent and accurate details, and descriptions that are exceptionally clear. The detailed programming examples are also excellent and are very clearly described."