Request for consultation
The most comprehensive book of its kind, BUSINESS & PROFESSIONAL ETHICS FOR DIRECTORS, EXECUTIVES & ACCOUNTANTS, 8E combines explanatory text, cases, video sources and readings. Students explore the historical background behind corporate governance, behavior, compliance, risk management, and professional accounting. The book emphasizes how to develop an ethical corporate culture and make decisions that reflect organizational values, ethics and the expectations of stakeholders. Students see the ethical influences on company success and better understand their own professional codes and duties. They analyze the IFAC Code of Ethics and AICPA and CPAO codes as well as fundamental principles, independence, conflicts of interest, and risk assessment. They also examine the risks and opportunities of non-assurance areas, such as CSR, workplace ethics, fraud and white collar crime, bribery, and crisis management. More than 120 engaging cases help students and practitioners avoid errors.
- NEW OR EXPANDED COVERAGE HIGHLIGHTS THE LATEST ETHICAL THINKING. Students examine new perspectives on corporate governance and responsibilities, corporate social responsibility, ‘B’ corporations, and ethics risks. They analyze subprime lending and other fiascos, bribery, whistleblower and inquiry services as well as improvements to practical decision-making approaches.
- THIS EDITION HIGHLIGHTS NEW ISSUES FOR PROFESSIONAL ACCOUNTANTS. The book extensively covers the trend to global ethical accounting standards under the International Federation of Accountants (IFAC) to prepare students for the global harmonization process that is occurring in ethics codes and practices around the world. The book analyzes major changes in the newly-revised AICPA and CPAO ethics codes as well as new requirements for ethical risk assessment, judgment impairment, and decision making. The book also discusses the latest ethical pitfalls for today’s professional accountants.
- THIS IS THE ONLY BOOK ON THE MARKET THAT COVERS BOTH BUSINESS ETHICS AND PROFESSIONAL ACCOUNTING ETHICS IN PRACTICAL TERMS. Student need to fully understand both business ethics and accounting ethics to fully appreciate the trends in ethical expectations and changes in regulation.
- BOOK IS VERY VERSATILE. This book’s breadth and depth make it a successful resource for stand-alone courses or to support more than one course in your curriculum. Instructors like you have trusted this book for undergrads, Master’s of Accounting students, MBA students, and Executive MBA students. Sections of this book and specific cases have also been custom published for specific courses or executive programs.
- CONTENT EMPHASIZES RELEVANT, PRACTICAL DISCUSSION AS WELL AS THEORETICAL MATERIAL. Some other books feature philosophical discussions but lack sufficient practical discussion or applications that emphasize relevance so students tune them out. This edition features practical development of all topics, and more than 120 cases, most of which are drawn from real life.
- CASES BLEND BOTH ETHICS AND AN UNDERSTANDING OF PROFESSIONAL ACCOUNTING CODES OF CONDUCT. Other books feature cases but do not have sufficient discussions of ethics and of the latest professional accounting codes of conduct which are being harmonized globally. Those books tend to focus on specific rules rather than emphasizing an understanding of the underlying principles as well as the relevant rules.
- WEALTH OF TIME-SAVING INSTRUCTOR RESOURCES ASSIST IN CLASS PRESENTATION AND PREPARATION. An Instructor’s Manual and PowerPoint® slides are available for your convenience. Additional resources found at www.cengagebrain.com include course outlines, suggested Executive MBA and MBA Course Outlines, cases, and the links highlighted in the textbook. The authors also make themselves available to provide teaching insights, based on their professional and instructional experiences.
- MORE THAN 120 CASES, KEY READINGS, AND ILLUSTRATIVE APPLICATIONS GIVE STUDENTS HANDS-ON EXPERIENCE WITH REAL-WORLD ISSUES. Cases address classic issues, such as subprime lending, BP oil spill, GM faulty ignition switches, VW cheating on emission tests, Valeant drug price gouging, Toshiba accounting scandal, and Enron. Many cases cover pertinent, practical problems, such as aggressive tax schemes, governance dilemmas, bribery, and more.
- NEW SET OF VIDEOS AND FILMS INTEGRATE THE LESSONS’ PRINCIPLES WITH ETHICAL EXPECTATIONS. Designed for student viewing, these engaging videos further students’ understanding of ethics expectations in business and accounting today. Accompanying lists and commentaries further clarify the new videos and films.
2. Ethics & Governance Scandals.
3. Philosophers’ Contributions.
4. Practical Ethical Decision Making.
5. Corporate Ethical Governance & Accountability.
6. Professional Accounting in the Public Interest.
7. Managing Ethics Risks & Opportunities.
8. Subprime Lending Fiasco -- Ethics Issues.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
The instructor support website at www.cengagebrain.com provides a thorough companion to the written text. You will find PowerPoint® presentations and course outlines for you and students. The Instructor's Manual, Cases, Executive MBA and MBA Course Outlines, and a list of recent sources are also available at your fingertips. To keep these resources current, the authorship team posts general updates as necessary.