Request for consultation
Miller’s popular BUSINESS LAW TODAY: STANDARD EDITION, 11E combines the legal credibility, authoritativeness, and comprehensiveness of a traditional business law book with strong visual appeal and student-friendly features. This text's engaging, high-interest presentation is complemented by the essential detail and information necessary to completely explain business law topics. BUSINESS LAW TODAY: STANDARD EDITION truly offers you and your students the best of both worlds in a credible business law source that students are motivated to read. The cornerstone of its widespread success is the ability to appeal to both you, the instructor, and your students. The book explicitly meets the AACSB curriculum requirements. BUSINESS LAW TODAY: STANDARD EDITION offers the most comprehensive teaching and learning support package on the market with resources to fit numerous instructional or learning styles.
- NEW MindTap® Business Law is a personalized teaching experience with relevant assignments that guide students to analyze, apply, and improve thinking, allowing you to measure skills and outcomes with ease. The customizable online course allows you to control what students see and when they see it. Students stay involved with Interactive Cases, Interactive Exhibits, and Videos integrated into the eReader. Relevant Learning Path activities intuitively guide students as they prepare, engage, apply and analyze business law concepts. Analytics provide a snapshot of class progress, engagement and completion rates.
- NEW CHAPTER ADDRESSES INTERNET LAW, SOCIAL MEDIA, AND RELATED PRIVACY ISSUES. This edition explores how online platforms, such as social media, have influenced today’s legal landscape as well as individual privacy issues. This timely content uses an easy-to-understand context and format to demonstrate to your students how ever-changing technological advances in the workplace and business world affect business law.
- MORE THAN 100 NEW NUMBERED CASE EXAMPLES AND NUMBERED EXAMPLES TO CLARIFY LEGAL PRINCIPLES. This edition presents many new numbered cases and examples with most from 2014 and 2015. These meaningful examples apply legal points of law to scenarios students recognize and understand. With the help of these examples, students can visualize how business law principles work in everyday interactions. This approach helps student’s better recall and apply specific legal principles.
- MORE THAN 50 NEW FEATURES APPLY THE LAW TO EVERYDAY CIRCUMSTANCES. Effective learning features, such as "Adapting the Law to the Online Environment" and "Ethical Issues", help students understand how business law specifics apply to everyday scenarios. Students examine engaging topics, such as the commercial use of drones, Google glasses, Facebook Poker, hacking, patent trolls, paying with smartphones, and social media.
- NEW IN-CHAPTER PRESENTATIONS AND END-OF-CHAPTER PRACTICE REINFORCE STRONG LEGAL REASONING SKILLS. New content and end-of-chapter materials ensure students understand both legal reasoning and important business law concepts. New exhibits, numbered lists, marginal definitions, learning objectives, and review features within the chapter keep students focused while reading. New Case Problems, Business Scenario Questions, Case Analysis Questions, and Business Law Critical Thinking Group Assignments take students beyond the book to encourage them to examine law at work in their everyday lives.
- CHAPTER REVIEW AND CASE ANALYSIS HELP STUDENTS SOLIDIFY THEIR UNDERSTANDING OF THE CHAPTER. The chapter’s concluding "Reviewing ..." feature and Concept Summaries integrated throughout the book help students grasp some of the book’s more difficult legal topics. Case analysis assignments at the end of selected chapters ask students to brief cases. End-of-chapter assignments are also useful for efficiently assessing student comprehension.
- CASE TREATMENTS EMPHASIZE RELEVANCE OF WHAT STUDENTS ARE LEARNING. Summarized cases facilitate understanding. Each case presents the Facts, Issue, Decision, Reason, and Critical Thinking Questions that are designed to show students why the elements in the case are important to them. Selected cases conclude with "Why Is This Case Important to Business?", which stresses how the legal concept impacts business. Classic Cases stress how the court's decision has helped evolve the law and why it is still relevant. Unit Case Studies with Dissenting Opinion highlight recent court cases related to one of the unit's topics with Questions for Analysis.
- CRITICAL THINKING QUESTIONS REQUIRE STUDENTS TO THINK BEYOND THE BOOK ABOUT A CHAPTER TOPIC. These questions conclude each in-chapter feature. In addition, selected cases with "What If the Facts Were Different?" sections ask students to consider how the decision might be different if the fact pattern changed. End-of-chapter "Business Law Writing" and "Business Law Critical Thinking Group Assignments" also encourage students to extend their learning beyond what they’ve simply read.
- APPLICATIONS ENCOURAGE STUDENTS TO APPLY WHAT THEY’VE READ. "Business Applications" offer practical advice on navigating the legal waters of business and conclude with a checklist on how to avoid legal problems. "Linking Business Law" applies business law to other business disciplines. "Landmark in the Law" explores a landmark case, statute, or other law that has significant impacted business law while an "Application to Today's World" section clarifies why the case is important to business today. "Preventing Legal Disputes" also provide practical guidance on how to avoid legal problems.
- ETHICAL ISSUES AND A GLOBAL PERSPECTIVE ARE INTEGRATED THROUGHOUT. This edition’s Ethical Issues address dilemmas related to the chapter topic. Additionally, an "A Question of Ethics" section at the end of the chapter asks students to look at both the legal and ethical issues in a realistic business situation. To give context to law outside of the United States, "Beyond Our Border" sections cover an array of topics related to international business in more depth.
1. The Legal Environment.
2. Constitutional Law.
3. Courts and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
4. Tort Law.
5. Product Liability.
6. Intellectual Property Rights.
7. Internet Law, Social Media, and Privacy.
8. Criminal Law and Cyber Crime.
9. Business Ethics.
UNIT 2: CONTRACTS AND E-CONTRACTS.
10. Nature and Classification.
12. Consideration, Capacity, and Legality.
13. Defenses to Contract Enforceability.
14. Third Party Rights and Discharge.
15. Breach and Remedies.
16. International Law in a Global Economy.
UNIT 3: COMMERCIAL TRANSACTIONS.
17. The Formation of Sales and Lease Contracts.
18. Performances and Breach of Sales and Lease Contracts.
19. Negotiable Instruments.
20. Banking in the Digital Age.
21. Security Interests and Creditors' Rights.
UNIT 4: AGENCY AND EMPLOYMENT LAW.
23. Agency Relationships in Business.
24. Employment, Immigration, and Labor Law.
25. Employment Discrimination.
UNIT 5: BUSINESS ORGANIZATIONS.
26. Sole Proprietorships and Franchises.
27. All Forms of Partnership.
28. Limited Liability Companies and Special Business Forms.
30. Investor Protection, Insider Trading, and Corporate Governance.
UNIT 6: GOVERNMENT REGULATION.
31. Antitrust Law and Promoting Competition.
32. Consumer and Environmental Law.
33. Liability of Accountants and Other Professionals.
UNIT 7: PROPERTY AND ITS PROTECTION.
34. Personal Property and Bailments.
35. Real Property and Landlord-Tenant Law.
36. Insurance, Wills, and Trusts.
A. How to Brief Cases and Analyze Case Problems (also on the Web site).
B. The Constitution of the United States.
C. The Uniform Commercial Code (Excerpts).
D. Answers to the Issue Spotters.
E. Answers to the Even-Numbered questions in the Key Concepts Check.
F. Sample Answers for Business Case Problems with Sample Answer.
G. Case Excerpts for Case Analysis Questions.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Expand students’ understanding and streamline class preparation with the numerous resources available on this edition’s robust companion website. Easily download password-protected instructor resources, including the Instructor’s Manual, Test Bank, and PowerPoint® slides.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.