Request for consultation
BUSINESS LAW TODAY: COMPREHENSIVE immerses students in the excitement of cutting-edge business law with a wide selection of intriguing new cases and thorough coverage of the latest developments in the field. The Tenth Edition of this successful textbook makes the study of business law appealing and relevant for today's students--without sacrificing the legal credibility and comprehensive coverage that have made the text a trusted favorite among instructors. Each chapter's visually engaging, time-tested learning tools illustrate how law is applied to real-world business problems--and how landmark cases, statutes, and other laws are having a significant impact on the way businesses operate both within the United States and across the globe. This book has excerpted cases in the language of the court. Additional opportunities to engage students can be found online within CourseMate and CengageNOW to accompany the textbook.
- Many of the chapters include cases from 2013, such as Chapter 5, "Intellectual Property and Internet Law," includes a copyright infringement case, Winstead v. Jackson, that involves the rapper "50 Cent".
- New Spotlight Cases: Particularly good teaching cases are highlighted as "Spotlight Cases". Instructors will find them useful to illustrate the legal concepts under discussion and students will enjoy studying these cases because they involve interesting and memorable facts.
- New Debate This feature concludes the "Reviewing" feature at the end of each chapter. It consists of a brief statement or question concerning the chapter material that can be used to spur classroom discussion or small group discussions. It can also be used as a written assignment.
- New Spotlight Case Problems: Selected chapters include a Spotlight Case Problem. These problems include particularly interesting and memorable facts to engage the students.
- Business Law Critical Thinking Group Assignment: For those instructors who want to have their classes perform group projects, each chapter now includes a new Business Law Critical Thinking Group Assignment that requires each group of students to answer a specific question pertaining to the scenario based on information they learned in the chapter. Also there is a new Group Project for the end of every unit that requires students, as a group, to apply the concepts they learned in the previous chapters. These projects can be useful for reviewing materials prior to a test.
- To help students study and prepare for exams, each chapter concludes with Issue Spotters, which ask students to apply key concepts to real-world examples, and Before the Test sections, which prompt students to go to the Book Companion Web Site to take online practice quizzes.
- To encourage critical thinking, many learning tools and all cases conclude with special features to promote in-depth analysis and understanding, including For Critical Analysis, What If the Facts Were Different?, Why Is This Case Important?, and Critical Thinking questions.
- Beyond Our Borders features build awareness of the global legal environment by indicating how international laws or the laws of other nations deal with specific legal concepts or topics. Each of these features concludes with a For Critical Analysis question.
- To help students evaluate and enhance their understanding of key concepts, each chapter concludes with a Reviewing section that presents an Hypothetical scenario followed by a series of questions requiring students to identify important issues and apply legal concepts. Answers to the Questions are available both in an appendix within the text and on the companion Website.
- Numerous features increase student interest and aid learning by exploring the practical applications of key concepts. Landmark in the Law features discuss a case, statute, or other law with significant impact; Applications give practical advice on applying the law to real-world business problems; Management Perspectives describe practical issues facing management; and Preventing Legal Disputes offer guidance on steps businesspeople can take to avoid legal disputes and litigation.
- In addition to a full chapter on ethics, Ethical Issues features in most chapters address an ethical dimension of key legal concepts, many cases conclude with an Ethical Consideration feature probing the ethical ramifications of the court's decision, and end-of-chapter materials include a special A Question of Ethics case problem.
- Adapting the Law to the Online Environment features found in most chapters enhance the text's strong, integrated Internet law coverage by focusing on specific court cases involving disputes arising in the online environment.
- Cases are presented in an excerpted (language of the court) format to give students the opportunity to read portions of actual court opinions. Extended Case Studies at the end of each unit highlight a recent court case relating to a key topic, and landmark and classic cases are emphasized with a special heading and logo, as well as a Comment section stressing how important the court's decision has been to the evolution of the law.
- Featured Cases, included in selected chapters, are presented entirely in the words of the court so that students can learn how judges reason through legal questions. Each case concludes with a series of questions designed to help students evaluate and enhance their understanding of the case.
- Additional opportunities to engage students can be found online within CourseMate and CengageNOW to accompany the textbook. CourseMate is an interactive website with an eBook to provide students with enriching study opportunities. CengageNOW™ is a powerful course management tool that provides control and customization to optimize the student learning experience and produce desired outcomes. CengageNOW™ includes: Interactive book; Auto Graded Homework with the following consistent question types: Chapter Review Worksheets, Brief Hypotheticals, Blueprint Case Problems, Video Questions, Personalized Student Plan with Multimedia Study Tools and Videos, Test Bank; and Reporting and Assessment Options.
- Highlighted and numbered for convenient reference, Case Examples illustrate specific principles of law by presenting the facts, issues, and ruling from a court case in a succinct, engaging paragraph or two, making it easy for students to grasp the essentials quickly.
- Highlighted and number for convenient reference, Examples, which are based on hypothetical situations to illustrate legal concepts, are integrated throughout the text.
- Included at the end of selected chapters, Linking the Law features show students how knowledge of legal concepts can provide concrete benefits for managers and other businesspeople, whether their activities focus on finance, marketing, communications, economics, or other business disciplines. The other chapters conclude with "Business Application" which focuses on practical considerations related to the chapter's content. This feature concludes with a checklist of tips for the businessperson.
1. The Legal Environment.
2. Constitutional Law.
3. Courts and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
4. Torts and Cyber Torts.
5. Intellectual Property and Internet Law.
6. Criminal Law and Cyber Crime.
7. Ethics and Business Decision Making.
UNIT 2: CONTRACTS.
8. Nature and Classification.
9. Agreement in Traditional and E. Contracts.
11. Capacity and Legality.
12. Voluntary Consent.
13. The Statute of Frauds--Writing Requirement.
14. Performance and Discharge.
15. Breach and Remedies.
16. Third Party Rights.
UNIT 3: COMMERCIAL TRANSACTIONS.
17. The Formation of Sales and Lease Contracts.
18. Title and Risk of Loss.
19. Performance and Breach of Sales and Lease Contracts.
20. Warranties and Product Liability.
21. Negotiable Instruments: Transferability and Liability.
22. Checks and Banking in the Digital Age.
23. Security Interests in Personal Property.
24. Other Creditors' Remedies and Surety ship.
26. Mortgages and Foreclosures after the Recession.
27. International Law in a Global Economy.
UNIT 4: AGENCY AND EMPLOYMENT LAW.
28. Agency Relationships in Business.
29. Employment, Immigration, and Labor Law.
30. Employment Discrimination and Diversity.
UNIT 5: BUSINESS ORGANIZATIONS.
31. Sole Proprietorships and Franchises.
32. All Forms of Partnership.
33. Limited Liability Companies and Special Business Forms.
34. Corporate Formation and Financing.
35. Corporate Directors, Officers, and Shareholders.
36. Corporate Acquisitions, Takeovers, and Termination.
37. Investor Protection, Insider Trading, and Corporate Governance.
UNIT 6: GOVERNMENT REGULATION.
38. Administrative Law.
39. Promoting Competition.
40. Consumer Law and Environmental Law.
41. Liability of Accountants and Other Professionals.
Unit 7: Property and Its Protection.
42. Personal Property and Bailments.
43. Real Property and Landlord-Tenant Law.
44. Insurance, Wills, and Trusts.
A. How to Brief Cases and Analyze Case Problems.
B. The Constitution of the United States.
C. The Uniform Commercial Code (Excerpts).
D. The Sarbanes-Oxley Act (Excerpts and Explanatory Comments).
E. Answers to the Issue Spotters.
F. Answers to Even-Numbered For Review Questions.
G. Sample Answers for Questions with Sample Answer.
H. Sample Answers for Case Problems with Sample Answer.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Web Site, Comprehensive
Expand students’ understanding and streamline class preparation with the numerous resources available on this edition’s robust companion website. Easily download password-protected instructor resources, including the Instructor’s Manual, Test Bank, and PowerPoint® slides.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
Instructor's Edition, Comprehensive
This Instructor Sample/Review copy of BUSINESS LAW TODAY: COMPREHENSIVE, 11E immerses students in the excitement of cutting-edge business law with intriguing new cases and coverage of the latest developments. This book makes the study of business law appealing and relevant without sacrificing legal credibility and comprehensive coverage. Learning tools illustrate how law is applied to business problems and how landmark cases, statutes and other laws significantly impact how businesses operate within the United States and across the globe. Excerpted cases use the language of the court.