Request for consultation
BUSINESS LAW: TEXT & CASES--COMMERCIAL LAW FOR ACCOUNTANTS is an adaptation of the market-leading Clarkson/Miller/Cross textbook. This textbook is suited for the second course in a business law series ("commercial law"), often a requirement for accounting majors. It covers topics students will see on the CPA exam and delivers an ideal blend of classic "black letter law" and contemporary cases. The text's strong student orientation makes the law accessible, interesting, and relevant with cases that represent the latest developments. This book offers CengageNOW, an optional online solution to help prepare students to see the relevance of business law.
- BUSINESS LAW: TEXT & CASES--COMMERCIAL LAW FOR ACCOUNTANTS is supported by CengageNOW. CengageNOW is a powerful course management tool that provides control and customization to optimize the student learning experience and produce desired outcomes. CengageNOW includes Interactive book, Auto Graded Homework with consistent question types, Chapter Review Worksheets, Brief Hypotheticals, Blueprint Case problems, Video Questions, Personalized Student Plan with Multimedia Study Tools and videos, Test Bank, and Reporting and Assessment Options.
- Selected cases conclude with "What If the Facts Were Different?" questions that alter the facts of the case and ask students to decide whether the same ruling would result. Debate This sections at the end of the Reviewing features also encourage critical thinking and more thoughtful analysis.
- Chapters conclude with hypothetical business scenarios and business case problems that require students to identify the relevant legal issues and apply the legal concepts covered in the chapter, enabling them to review the material effectively while applying it practically.
- Issue Spotters conclude each chapter to help students learn to identify the legal issues and apply the laws presented.
- BUSINESS LAW: TEXT & CASES--COMMERCIAL LAW FOR ACCOUNTANTS offers an alternative for those looking for a text that includes only those topics typically covered in the second semester business law course. It includes topics that accounting majors will see on the CPA exam and is the first half of the Clarkson/Miller/Cross textbook, Business Law: Text & Cases, 13e.
- BUSINESS LAW: TEXT & CASES--COMMERCIAL LAW FOR ACCOUNTANTS offers an effective mix of classic and landmark cases, with recent cases on key topics that not only provide modern examples of business law but also strongly interest today's students. Case examples are excerpted (in the language of the court) and have been carefully selected and edited to offer student accessibility and appeal while providing a solid illustration of how courts interpret and apply the law.
- Case in Point examples and hypothetical examples are highlighted and numbered to ensure easier reference. These examples are integrated throughout the text to help students comprehend the legal principles covered.
- Managerial Strategy features are integrated throughout the text as appropriate and focus on management aspects of business.
- Reviewing features, which are found at the end of every chapter, help solidify students' understanding of the chapter materials. The feature presents a hypothetical scenario and then asks a series of questions that require students to identify the issues and apply legal concepts.
- Debate This, which follows each Reviewing feature, consists of a brief statement or question concerning the chapter material that can be used to spur lively classroom discussion or small group assignments. It also can be used as a written assignment.
- Each Insight into [Ethics, E-Commerce, Global, Environment, or Social Media] feature concludes with a Critical Thinking question. A set of Dimensions questions follows each case excerpt, addressing the AACSB curriculum requirement to explore global, political, ethical, social, environmental, technological, and cultural contexts of business law.
- To enhance students' ability to learn and retain important information about applications of the law to real-world situations, Impact of This Case on Today's Law features conclude the Landmark and Classic cases, illustrating the relevance of these cases to modern law. Each feature is followed by a critical-thinking question to promote in-depth analysis.
1. Sole Proprietorships and Franchises.
2. Partnerships and Limited Liability Partnerships.
3. Other Organizational Forms for Small Businesses.
4. Corporate Formation and Financing.
5. Corporate Directors, Officers, and Shareholders.
6. Mergers and Takeovers.
7. Securities Law and Corporate Governance.
Unit 2: Agency and Employment.
8. Agency Formation and Duties.
9. Agency Liability to Third Parties and Termination.
10. Employment, Immigration, and Labor Law.
11. Employment Discrimination and Diversity.
Unit 3: Negotiable Instruments.
12. The Function and Creation of Negotiable Instruments.
13. Transferability and Holder in Due Course.
14. Liability, Defenses, and Discharge.
15. Banking in the Digital Age.
Unit 4: Domestic Sales and Lease Contracts.
16. The Formation of Sales and Lease Contracts.
17. Title, Risk, and Insurable Interest.
18. Performance and Breach of Sales and Lease Contracts.
Unit 5: Creditors' Rights and Remedies.
20. Creditors' Rights and Remedies.
21. Secured Transactions.
22. Bankruptcy Law.
Unit 6: Government Regulation.
23. Administrative Agencies.
24. Consumer Law.
25. Environmental Law and Sustainability.
26. Antitrust Law.
27. Professional Liability and Accountability.
Unit 7: Property and Its Protection.
28. Personal Property and Bailments.
29. Real Property and Landlord-Tenant Law.
30. Wills and Trusts.
Appendix A: The Uniform Commercial Code [full UCC].
Appendix B: Answers to the Issue Spotters.
Appendix C: Sample Answers for Business Case Problems with Sample Answer.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Find everything you need in one place. The Instructor’s Companion Website is the place for you to download all the teaching resources -- instructor’s manual, PowerPoint® slide decks, and LMS versions of the test bank questions.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.