Request for consultation
Based on the longtime market-leader BUSINESS LAW: TEXT & CASES by Clarkson/Miller/Cross, this paperback text offers an affordable solution for those looking for a concise one-semester text that offers in-depth treatment of today's business law topics. Designed for the contemporary one-semester course, BUSINESS LAW: TEXT & CASES--AN ACCELERATED COURSE provides the rigor and seriousness of a classic black-letter law text with a brief 19-chapter table of contents. The text combines the benefits of a black-letter law approach with a strong student orientation, making the law accessible, interesting, and relevant for readers. An excellent assortment of included cases ranges from precedent-setting landmarks to important recent decisions, and ethical, global, and corporate themes are integrated throughout. In addition, numerous critical-thinking exercises challenge student to apply what they've learned to real-world issues, and the text offers an unmatched range of support materials, including innovative online teaching and learning resources.
- BUSINESS LAW: TEXT & CASES--AN ACCELERATED COURSE is supported by the latest course management tools, including CengageNOW™, a unique web-based application that enables you to easily create and administer text-specific assignments that are automatically graded. With CengageNOW™, students come to class better prepared, and you can readily assess overall student progress and identify areas to focus lectures and instruction. The application features a variety of question types to test simple reading comprehension, complex critical thinking, legal reasoning, and case analysis skills.
- BUSINESS LAW: TEXT & CASES--AN ACCELERATED COURSE offers an effective mix of classic and landmark cases, with recent cases on key topics that not only provide modern examples of business law but also strongly interest today's students. Case examples are excerpted (in the language of the court) and have been carefully selected and edited to offer student accessibility and appeal while providing a solid illustration of how courts interpret and apply the law.
- "Case in Point" examples and hypothetical examples are highlighted and numbered to make for easier reference. These examples are integrated throughout the text to help students comprehend legal principles covered in the text.
- "Managerial Strategy" features are integrated throughout the text as appropriate and focus on management aspects of business.
- "Reviewing" features, found at the end of every chapter, help solidify the students' understanding of the chapter materials. The feature presents a hypothetical scenario and then asks a series of questions that require the students to identify the issues and apply legal concepts.
- "Debate This" follows each "Reviewing" feature and consists of a brief statement or question concerning the chapter material that can be used to spur lively classroom discussion or small group assignments. It can also be used as a written assignment.
- Each "Insight into" (Ethics, E-Commerce, Global, Environment, or Social Media) feature concludes with a Critical Thinking question, while a set of Dimensions question follows each case excerpt, allowing the text to address the AACSB curriculum requirements to explore global, political, ethical, social, environmental, technological, and cultural contexts of business law.
- To enhance students' ability to understand about applications of the law to real-world situations, "Impact of This Case on Today's Law" features conclude the Landmark and Classic cases, illustrating the relevance of these cases to modern law, and are followed by a critical-thinking question to promote in-depth analysis.
- Selected cases conclude with "What If the Facts Were Different?" questions that alter the facts of the case and ask the student to decide if the same ruling would result, while "Debate This" sections at the end of the "Reviewing" features also encourage critical thinking and more thoughtful analysis.
1. Law and Legal Reasoning.
2. Business and the Constitution.
3. Courts and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
5. Intellectual Property Rights.
6. Internet Law, Social Media, and Privacy.
7. Criminal Law and Cyber Crime.
8. Business Ethics.
Unit 2: CONTRACTS.
9. Nature and Terminology.
10. Agreement in Traditional and E-Contracts.
11. Consideration, Capacity, and Legality.
12. Defenses to Contract Enforceability.
13. Third Party Rights and Discharge.
14. Breach of Contract and Remedies.
Unit 3: COMMERCIAL TRANSACTIONS.
15. The Formation of Sales and Lease Contracts.
16. Performance, Breach, and Warranties of Sales and Lease Contracts.
Unit 4: AGENCY AND BUSINESS FORMS.
17. Agency Relationships in Business.
18. Sole Proprietorships, Partnerships, and Limited Liability Companies.
Appendix A: Article 2 of the Uniform Commercial Code.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor’s Companion Website
Find everything you need in one place. The Instructor’s Companion Website is the place for you to download all the teaching resources -- instructor’s manual, PowerPoint® slide decks, and LMS versions of the test bank questions.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.