Request for consultation
Based on the longtime market-leader BUSINESS LAW: TEXT AND CASES by Clarkson/Miller/Cross, this paperback text offers an affordable solution for those looking for a concise one-semester text that offers in-depth treatment of today’s business law topics. Designed for the contemporary one-semester course, BUSINESS LAW: TEXT AND CASES--AN ACCELERATED COURSE provides the rigor and seriousness of a classic black-letter law text with a brief nineteen-chapter table of contents. The text combines the benefits of a black-letter law approach with a strong student orientation, making the law accessible, interesting, and relevant for readers. An excellent assortment of included cases range from precedent-setting landmarks to important recent decisions, and ethical, global, e-commerce, digital, and corporate themes are integrated throughout this edition. In addition, numerous critical-thinking exercises challenge students to apply what they have learned to real-world issues.
- NEW DIGITAL UPDATE FEATURES DEMONSTRATE THE IMPACT OF TECHNOLOGY ON TODAY’S LAW. These unique Digital Update features appear in numerous chapters in this edition, clearly displaying how the changes in the contemporary digital world are affecting business law and today’s legal environment.
- NEW FULLY ADDRESSABLE CASE COLLECTION PROVIDES A VARIETY OF CHOICES THAT ARE EASY TO ACCESS. This edition offers a fully addressable Case Collection with more than 1,000 cases that you, the instructor, can access and assign in your MindTap® course. You are easily able to sort the cases by name, year, state, and subject matter.
- COMPREHENSIVE END-OF-CHAPTER PEDAGOGY HELPS STUDENTS REVIEW AND CHECK THEIR UNDERSTANDING. Proven end-of-chapter sections provide a varied and comprehensive review of the chapter’s concepts, relationships, and applications of business law. You can assign these exercises or use them as starting points for meaningful classroom discussions. Students are challenged to apply legal concepts and issues to everyday scenarios and real-life case problems.
- “REVIEWING” FEATURES HELP SOLIDIFY UNDERSTANDING OF EACH CHAPTER’S MATERIALS. This learning tool presents a hypothetical scenario and asks a series of questions that requires the reader to identify the key issues and apply legal concepts.
- “DEBATE THIS” FEATURE SPURS LIVELY CLASSROOM DISCUSSION. This “Debate” feature follows each “Reviewing” section and offers a brief statement or intriguing question concerning the chapter material. You can use these “Debates” to prompt meaningful classroom discussion or to guide small group assignments or even written assignments.
- TERMS AND CONCEPTS ENSURE STUDENTS FULLY UNDERSTAND IMPORTANT LEGAL TERMS. This helpful list presents all of the chapter’s boldfaced key terms at a glance and shows the page number where each term can be found. A Glossary contains a newly revised set of clear definitions for each term in the text.
- “ISSUE SPOTTERS” FACILITATE STUDENT REVIEW AND RETENTION. These “Issue Spotters” draw special attention to each chapter’s key points of law or critical concepts. Sample answers to these features are available for students to check their work in Appendix B of the text.
- BUSINESS SCENARIOS GUIDE STUDENTS IN PRACTIAL APPLICATIONS OF CONCEPTS. These hypothetical, but realistic, business scenarios require students to identify relevant legal issues and apply them effectively within the scenario presented.
- BUSINESS CASE PROBLEMS ARE BASED ON ACTUAL U.S. CASES. Engaging case problems -- drawn from real cases (nearly every chapter contains Case Problems from 2014, 2015, and 2016) -- highlight legal concepts covered in the chapter and enable students to review the material effectively while applying it practically.
- ONE BUSINESS CASE PROBLEM WITH SAMPLE ANSWER is in each chapter, and students will find a sample answer to these case problems in Appendix C at the end of the text.
- SPOTLIGHT CASE PROBLEMS detail a classic or newsworthy point of law and are located in select chapters.
- LEGAL REASONING GROUP ACTIVITIES ENCOURAGE COLLABORATION. These activities allow students to work together to resolve a specific business scenario’s legal issue or problem covered in the chapter. You can use these projects in class discussions or assign them for group projects.
- ENGAGING MINDTAP® ONLINE CONTENT PROVIDES INTERACTIVE CASES AND ADAPTIVE TEST PREPARATION IN EVERY CHAPTER. Interactive Cases and Whiteboard Videos are available for most chapters. Additional MindTap® activities in every chapter include: interactive online Worksheets to prepare students for class; Video Exercises to show the relevance of business law; Brief Hypotheticals for students to apply the law to factual scenarios; and Case Problem Blueprints to promote critical thinking.
- ENTIRE CHAPTER (CH. 6) FOCUSES COMPLETELY ON BUSINESS ETHICS AND DECISION-MAKING. Ethics Today learning features explore real-life cases and topics affecting businesses. Ethical questions follow many cases within this edition and “A Question of Ethics” concludes every end-of-chapter Case Problem section. At the end of every unit, the authors present an Application and Ethics feature that covers a wide range of topics and includes an Ethical Connection section that explores the ethical dimensions of a topic treated within the unit.
- CRITICAL-THINKING FEATURES HELP ADDRESS AACSB CURRICULUM REQUIREMENT. Each feature in this edition concludes with a special Critical Thinking section. These questions address the AACSB curriculum requirement to explore global, political, ethical, social, environmental, technological, and cultural contexts of business law. Located in select chapters, most of the features cover new topics that your students will find timely and applicable to everyday life as well as common business situations.
- DIVERSE CASE SELECTION VARIES FROM CLASSIC TO CONTEMPORARY CASES. In keeping with the book’s strong reputation for outstanding cases, this edition offers Classic and Spotlight Cases as well as many new cases and case problems. Nearly every chapter offers a case and/or case problem based on a 2015 or 2016 case. Cases are excerpted in the language of the court, and have been carefully edited to appeal to students while illustrating how courts interpret and apply the law. Critical-thinking questions follow each case excerpt to enhance reasoning and analytical skills.
- “IMPACT OF THIS CASE ON TODAY’S LAW” FEATURES DETAIL THE IMPORTANCE OF THE CASE. Every Classic Case contains this special section designed to enhance your students’ ability to learn and retain important information about applications of the law in real-world situations. This special Classic Case feature effectively illustrates the relevance of these cases to modern law.
- CASE ANALYSIS PROVIDES LENGTHY EXTENDED CASE EXCERPT IN EVERY CHAPTER. These case excerpts are presented entirely in the language of the court, enhancing the readers’ ability to identify the legal principles and issues today’s businesses face. The Case Analysis case excerpts are suitable for case-briefing assignments. Each concludes with a Legal Reasoning Questions section containing three questions that guide analysis of the case and helps build students’ legal-reasoning skills.
- SPECIAL CASE ANALYSIS QUESTIONS GUIDE STUDENTS THROUGH THE IRAC PROCESS. Students learn to use this effective method to work through selected Case Analysis cases. The Special Case Analysis questions are featured within the end-of-chapter material at the conclusion of every unit.
1. Law and Legal Reasoning.
2. Business and the Constitution.
3. Courts and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
5. Criminal Law and Cyber Crime.
6. Business Ethics.
UNIT II: CONTRACTS.
7. Nature and Terminology.
8. Agreement in Traditional and E-Contracts.
9. Consideration, Capacity, and Legality.
10. Defenses to Contract Enforceability.
11. Third Party Rights and Discharge.
12. Breach of Contract and Remedies.
UNIT III: THE COMMERCIAL ENVIRONMENT
13. Intellectual Property Rights.
14. Internet Law, Social Media, and Privacy.
15. The Formation of Sales and Lease Contracts.
16. Performance, Breach, and Warranties of Sales and Lease Contracts.
UNIT IV: AGENCY AND BUSINESS FORMS.
17. Agency Relationships in Business.
18. Small Businesses and Limited Liability Companies.
Appendix A: Article 2 of the Uniform Commercial Code.
Appendix B: Answers to the Issue Spotters.
Appendix C: Sample Answers for Business Case Problems with Sample Answer.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Find everything you need in one place. The Instructor’s Companion Website is the place for you to download all the teaching resources -- instructor’s manual, PowerPoint® slide decks, and LMS versions of the test bank questions.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.