Request for consultation
Comprehensive, authoritative, and student-friendly, longtime market-leader BUSINESS LAW: TEXT AND CASES delivers an ideal blend of classic "black letter law" and cutting-edge coverage of contemporary issues and cases. The first text to implement an undergraduate-oriented pedagogy with traditional law school-like content, BUSINESS LAW continues to set the standard for excellence. The text offers a strong student orientation, making the law accessible, interesting, and relevant. The cases, content, and features of the thirteenth edition have been thoroughly updated to represent the latest developments in business law. Cases range from precedent-setting landmarks to important recent decisions. Ethical, global, and corporate themes are integrated throughout. In addition, numerous critical-thinking exercises challenge students to apply knowledge to real-world issues. The thirteenth edition offers an unmatched range of digital solutions, including MindTap and CengageNOW™ to engage and prepare students online. It is no wonder that BUSINESS LAW is used by more colleges and universities than any other business law text. We now have three new adaptations of this Clarkson book. Please see the Supplements section for more information. "The First Course" is for Business Law I and "Commercial Law for Accountants" is for Business Law II. We offer an accelerated one-semester version as well ("An Accelerated Course"). Finally, if you are seeking Clarkson with summarized cases instead of excerpted cases, please see BUSINESS LAW: ALTERNATE EDITION by Miller/Cross.
- MINDTAP: New for Clarkson, MindTap is a fully online, highly personalized learning experience built on Cengage Learning content. MindTap combines student learning tools--readings, multimedia, activities, and assessments from CengageNOW™--into a singular Learning Path that guides students through their course. Instructors personalize the experience by customizing authoritative Cengage Learning content and learning tools, including the ability to add their own content in the Learning Path with apps that integrate into the MindTap framework seamlessly with Learning Management Systems.
- New Spotlight Cases and Spotlight Case Problems: These cases involve fun and interesting fact patterns and are good teaching cases.
- New Issue Spotters: Included at the end of the chapters, this feature helps students identify the issues and apply the laws they learned about.
- New Legal Reasoning Group Activity: Included at the end of each chapter, it provides a business scenario and then requires each group of students to answer a specific question pertaining to the scenario using the information provided in the chapter. They can be used to promote class discussion or as homework.
- We now have three new adaptations of this Clarkson book. Please see the Supplements section for more information. "The First Course" is for Business Law I and "Commercial Law for Accountants" is for Business Law II. We offer an accelerated one-semester version as well ("An Accelerated Course"). Finally, if you are seeking Clarkson with summarized cases instead of excerpted cases, please see BUSINESS LAW: ALTERNATE EDITION by Miller/Cross.
- "Case in Point" examples are numbered for easier reference. Also, there are numbered examples. Both provide more illustration of basic legal principles to help the students better understand the material.
- "New Managerial Strategy" features are included in selected chapters. They focus on management aspects of business.
- This edition has a new emphasis on social media and a new "Insight into Social Media" feature, as it is a relevant topic in the business world.
- New Chapter 9, "Internet Law, Social Media, and Privacy," includes the material on the Internet from the previous chapter's "Intellectual Property and Internet Law" plus additional information that addresses social media and privacy.
- Chapter 5, "Business Ethics," is completely revised and includes more hypothetical situations for students to explore.
- Product Liability is now covered with Strict Liability. The chapter "Strict Liability and Product Liability" follows Chapter 6, "Torts."
- New Classic Cases: Those cases that have a monumental impact on the development of the law are now identified as "Classic Cases." They include a section that spells out the importance of the case for students.
- CENGAGENOW: CengageNOW™ is a powerful course management tool that provides control and customization to optimize the student learning experience and produce desired outcomes. CengageNOW™ includes: Interactive book; Auto Graded Homework with the following consistent question types: Chapter Review Worksheets, Brief Hypotheticals, Blueprint Case Problems, Video Questions; Personalized Student Plan with Multimedia Study Tools and Videos; Test Bank; and Reporting and Assessment Options.
- Reviewing features, found at the end of every chapter, help solidify the students' understanding of the chapter materials. The feature presents a hypothetical scenario and then asks a series of questions that require the students to identify the issues and apply legal concepts.
- "Debate This" follows each "Reviewing" feature and consists of a brief statement or question concerning the chapter material that can be used to spur lively classroom discussion or small group assignments. It can also be used as a written assignment.
- The thirteenth edition lives up to this text's strong reputation for outstanding selection and editing of cases, with the return of many classic cases from earlier editions, as well as many new cases and case problems from 2013.
- In addition to a full chapter on ethics and business decision making, the text includes "Insight Into Ethics" features that are integrated throughout, "Ethical Dimension" questions that conclude many cases, "Focus on Ethics" features that conclude every unit, and "A Question of Ethics" exercises in the end-of-chapter problem sets.
- Each Insight into (Ethics, E-Commerce, Global, Environment, or Social Media) feature concludes with a critical-thinking question, and a set of Dimensions questions follows each case excerpt, allowing the text to address the AACSB curriculum requirement to explore global, political, ethical, social, environmental, technological, and cultural contexts of business law.
- BUSINESS LAW offers an effective mix of classic and landmark cases, with recent cases on key topics that not only provide modern examples of business law but also strongly interest today's students. Case examples are excerpted (in the language of the court) and have been carefully selected and edited to offer student accessibility and appeal while providing a solid illustration of how courts interpret and apply the law.
- To enhance students' ability to learn and retain important information about applications of the law to real-world situations, "Impact of Case on Today's Law" features conclude the landmark and classic cases, illustrating the relevance of these cases to modern law, and followed by critical-thinking questions to promote in-depth analysis.
- A lengthy extended case excerpt, presented entirely in the language of the court, is included in every chapter to enhance students' ability to identify the legal principles and issues faced by today's businesses. The excerpts are suitable for case-briefing assignments and conclude with a question that guides students' analysis of the case and helps build their legal reasoning skills.
- "Special Case Analysis" questions, included in selected chapters, guide students through the IRAQ process in analyzing one of the extended cases, and end-of-chapter material includes a question and a case problem with a sample answer, available in an appendix within the text to provide students with a comparison for their own answers and an example of what to include when answering case problems.
- Selected cases conclude with "What If the Facts Were Different?" questions that alter the facts of the case and ask the student to decide if the same ruling would result, while "Debate This" sections at the end of the "Reviewing" features also encourage critical thinking and more thoughtful analysis.
- Chapters conclude with hypothetical business scenarios and business case problems that require students to identify the relevant legal issues and apply the legal concepts covered in the chapter, enabling them to review the material effectively while applying it practically.
1. Law and Legal Reasoning.
2. Courts and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
3. Court Procedures.
4. Business and the Constitution.
5. Business Ethics.
Unit 2: TORTS AND CRIMES.
7. Strict Liability and Product Liability.
8. Intellectual Property Rights.
9. Internet Law, Social Media, and Privacy.
10. Criminal Law and Cyber Crime.
Unit 3: CONTRACTS AND E-CONTRACTS.
11. Nature and Terminology.
12. Agreement in Traditional and E-Contracts.
14. Capacity and Legality.
15. Mistakes, Fraud, and Voluntary Consent.
16. The Writing Requirement and Electronic Records.
17. Third Party Rights.
18. Performance and Discharge in Traditional and E-Contracts.
19. Breach of Contract and Remedies.
Unit 4: DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL SALES AND LEASE CONTRACTS.
20. Formation of Sales and Lease Contracts.
21. Title, Risk, and Insurable Interest.
22. Performance and Breach of Sales and Lease Contracts.
24. International Law in a Global Economy.
Unit 5: NEGOTIABLE INSTRUMENTS.
25. The Function and Creation of Negotiable Instruments.
26. Transferability and Holder in Due Course.
27. Liability, Defenses, and Discharge.
28. Banking in the Digital Age.
Unit 6: CREDITORS' RIGHTS AND BANKRUPTCY.
29. Creditors' Rights and Remedies.
30. Secured Transactions.
31. Bankruptcy Law.
Unit 7: AGENCY AND EMPLOYMENT.
32. Agency Formation and Duties.
33. Agency Liability to Third Parties and Termination.
34. Employment, Immigration, and Labor Law.
35. Employment Discrimination and Diversity.
Unit 8: BUSINESS ORGANIZATIONS.
36. Sole Proprietorships and Franchises.
37. Partnerships and Limited Liability Partnerships.
38. Other Organizational Forms for Small Businesses.
39. Corporate Formation and Financing.
40. Corporate Directors, Officers, and Shareholders.
41. Mergers and Takeovers.
42. Securities Law and Corporate Governance.
Unit 9: GOVERNMENT REGULATION.
43. Administrative Agencies.
44. Consumer Law.
45. Environmental Law.
46. Antitrust Law.
47. Professional Liability and Accountability.
Unit 10: PROPERTY AND ITS PROTECTION.
48. Personal Property and Bailments.
49. Real Property and Landlord-Tenant Law.
51. Wills and Trusts.
A. How to Brief Cases and Analyze Case Problems.
B. The Constitution of the United States.
C. The Uniform Commercial Code.
D. The Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002.
E. Answers to the Issue Spotters.
F. Sample Answers for Business Case Problems with Sample Answer.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Find everything you need in one place. The Instructor’s Companion Website is the place for you to download all the teaching resources -- instructor’s manual, PowerPoint® slide decks, and LMS versions of the test bank questions.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.