Request for consultation
BUSINESS COMMUNICATION: IN PERSON, IN PRINT, ONLINE, 9E offers a realistic approach to communication in today's organizations. The text covers the most important business communication concepts in detail and thoroughly integrates coverage of today's social media and other communication technologies. Building on core written and oral communication skills, the ninth edition helps students make sound medium choices and provides guidelines and examples for the many ways people communicate at work. Students learn how to create PowerPoint® decks, use instant messaging and texting effectively at work, engage customers using social media, lead web meetings and conference calls, and more.
- NEW! MindTap™ is a personal learning experience that combines all of your digital assets--readings, multimedia, activities, and assessments--into a singular learning path to improve student outcomes. MindTap™ offers complimentary web-apps known as MindApps. MindApps range from ReadSpeaker (which reads the text aloud to students) to Kaltura (allowing you to insert your own video and audio into your curriculum) to ConnectYard (allowing you to create digital "yards" through social media--all without "friending" your students). www.cengage.com/mindtap.
- BUSINESS COMMUNICATION: IN PERSON, IN PRINT, ONLINE, 9E has been completely updated with current examples of business communication in the news, 75 percent new chapter introductions, 75 percent new 3Ps in Action and 3Ps in Practice features to link with new chapter introductions, 15 percent new end-of-chapter exercises, and Write Experience incorporated into relevant end-of-chapter exercises. New content also includes the following:
- Updated communication research from contemporary sources includes new information on social media in business, updated information about intranets and wikis, the use of instant messaging, and infographics.
- Revised communication model is more strategic and less linear, incorporating the complexity of communication--organizational culture, legal considerations, and ethics--and is more consistent with terms used throughout the text.
- Completely revised content about bad-news messages adds depth around organizational context and audience analysis and describes a continuum approach rather than the indirect/direct dichotomy.
- Updated graphics include a new design to improve readability.
- Streamlined coverage eliminates redundancy and allows for new content and examples of corporate messages, Requests for Proposals, suggestions for managing the back channel during a presentation, online and graphical résumés, and expanded advice for students on how to manage their online reputations.
- Thoroughly Updated Coverage of Communication Technology: The author has thoroughly integrated coverage of today's social media and other communication technologies. Building on core written and oral communication skills, the ninth edition helps students make sound medium choices and provides guidelines and examples for the many ways people communicate at work. Students will learn how to create PowerPoint® decks, use instant messaging and texting effectively at work, engage customers using social media, lead web meetings and conference calls, and more.
- Improved Readability and Engaging Presentation: To improve readability, comprehension, and learning outcomes, the author assessed the readability of every chapter and redesigned text-heavy areas. The natural business writing style is engaging and easy to read. Many key concepts are presented in visually enticing and easy-to-read formats, such as bulleted lists, colorful graphics, and tables.
- Real-World Examples: Interesting current examples are sprinkled liberally throughout each chapter to provide relevance and stimulate interest. In addition, chapter openers include stories from today's mass media.
- An Instructor Blog: You can make your course more relevant and engaging by covering topics during class or assigning homework. The instructor blog (at www.bizcominthenews.com) offers relevant news stories related to each chapter topic. Updated at least three times a week, the blog describes a current news story, offers links for additional reading, and lists discussion questions and assignments.
- Online Company Scenarios: Expanded end-of-chapter exercises include company scenarios that help students develop skills that will transfer to the workplace. For example, Writeaway Hotels encourages students to practice managing and writing email messages in a simulated environment. Aggresshop helps students apply principles of customer and internal communication in a retail environment. Bank on Me simulates a hiring cycle in which students participate in the recruitment and hiring process at a financial services company.
- "Topics of Interest": These margin notes identify coverage of highly relevant business communication issues. The new topics of interest include communication technologies, international communication, and ethics in communication.
- The Right Amount of Coverage: With a realistic approach about how communication occurs in organizations today, the text covers the most important business communication concepts in just enough detail. Topics that require more explanation are covered in depth, whereas simpler concepts are addressed clearly and efficiently.
- Varied, Engaging Exercises: End-of-chapter exercises use a variety of communication media and offer many options for instructors--longer assignments and shorter in-class activities.
- The 3Ps (Purpose, Process, Product) model helps students analyze a business situation, determine the specific communication strategies and steps required, and prepare the most effective business communication format to address the situation. Solutions to the end-of-chapter exercises and the 3Ps are offered in the Instructor's Manual.
- Interesting Model Documents: Examples of each major writing task help students learn the many types of writing in print and online. Models provide marginal callouts with detailed writing instructions.
- Comprehensive Instructor Resources: Several tools ease lecture preparation and offer dynamic ideas to help you prepare lively lectures. Multimedia PowerPoint® slides summarize chapter concepts and include videos that demonstrate chapter concepts in an entertaining format. The comprehensive Instructor's Manual offers solutions to exercises and chapter overviews as well as to lecture and discussion notes. The test bank contains a variety of test questions, including multiple-choice, short-answer, true-false, and writing activities.
- Aplia: The ninth edition offers faculty the chance to use this online interactive tool that ensures students review fundamental grammar and mechanics and understand key concepts. Aplia improves learning by increasing student effort and engagement without requiring more work from you. Learn more at www.aplia.com/bcomm. Aplia also offers a grammar and mechanics primer called Aplia's Preparing for Business Communication.
- Write Experience: Write Experience allows you to help students write effectively without adding to your workload. Write Experience uses artificial intelligence to score student writing instantly and accurately. It also provides students with detailed revision goals and feedback on their writing to help them improve written communication and critical-thinking skills. www.cengage.com/writeexperience.
1. Understanding Business Communication.
2. Team and Intercultural Communication.
3. Interpersonal Communication Skills.
Part II: DEVELOPING YOUR BUSINESS WRITING SKILLS.
4. The Writing Process.
5. Revising Your Writing.
Part III: WRITTEN MESSAGES.
6. Neutral and Positive Messages.
7. Persuasive Messages.
8. Bad-News Messages.
Part IV: REPORT WRITING.
9. Planning the Report and Managing Data.
10. Writing the Report.
Part V: ORAL AND EMPLOYMENT COMMUNICATION.
11. Oral Presentations.
12. Employment Communication.
Reference Manual A: Language Arts Basics.
Reference Manual B: Formatting Business Documents.
Reference Manual C: Common Types of Business Reports.
Reference Manual D: Glossary.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Find everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.