Request for consultation
Daft and Marcic's action-first approach turns the traditional learning model on its end. Instead of starting with concepts and moving to application, this text starts with application, an introductory problem or challenge that encourages students to first empty out their ideas so they are ready to understand new ideas and acquire new skills. Each chapter provides a menu of teaching resources for student challenges, engagement, applications, and learning, ample opportunity to fill students up with the spot-on management skills they'll need to be successful managers. This new learning philosophy leads students through a seven-step learning process: 1. Manager Challenge, 2. Initial Response, 3. Discover Yourself, 4. Discover Knowledge, 5. Action Learning Exercises, 6. Test Your Mettle, and 7. Personal Skills Log. Shorter, highly-focused chapters take students through each of these seven steps, allowing them to capture the essence and critical points for each topic. The mass of research material has been condensed and focused into discrete learning packages (chapters) designed specifically for student engagement. BUILDING MANAGEMENT SKILLS offers a unique new set of Challenge Videos that are specifically designed to help develop your students' decision-making and thinking skills. After students watch the video challenge they are asked to respond to the challenge by solving the problem, helping them see the relevance of the chapter material and answering the question "Why do I need to know this material?". These innovative, decision-making Challenge Videos are also available in CengageNOW, making them an assignable and auto-gradable, out-of-class assignment. Organized around a new learning philosophy, with new technology and a coherent learning package for students to acquire management skills through an active "first do, then learn" approach, Daft and Marcic have created a truly unique teaching and learning experience with BUILDING MANAGEMENT SKILLS.
- PROBLEM BASED LEARNING APPROACH: Based on the latest findings about how people learn, this unique text uses problem-based learning to have students "first do, then learn." Students start with a realistic problem scenario upon which they take action before learning a concept or skill. Action on the problem reveals to students their learning gap, how little they know, which opens students' minds to knowledge and synthesis, completing a learning cycle.
- TEST YOUR METTLE: Students are enabled to apply their new skills to new problems and cases, including role-play exercises, case incidents, and video applications. Students can be challenged with new exercises and incidents to expand their learning even further. They can again learn based on their own actions rather than from text memorization.
- PERSONAL SKILLS LOG: Students have the opportunity to record what they have learned, capturing insights. By writing down their key learning takeaways, students crystallize what they have learned compared to their initial response to the opening management challenge. These takeaways can be aggregated and analyzed at the end of the course so students can make visible and appreciate their progress.
- LESS IS MORE: This skills text is highly focused and uses small bites. Sixteen shorter chapters capture the essence and critical points for each topic, condensing the mass of research material into discrete learning packages (chapters) for student engagement.
- COMPLETE PACKAGE: Instructors are provided a menu of teaching tools in the text and instructor's manual to guide each student's skills learning.
- CengageNOW FOR DAFT/MARCIC'S BUILDING MANAGEMENT SKILLS: This robust, online course management system gives you more control in less time and delivers better student outcomes NOW. CengageNOW for BUILDING MANAGEMENT SKILLS includes book-specific resources that can be assigned and graded automatically, along with a menu of multimedia tools for students. Flexible assignments, automatic grading and an exportable gradebook with reports save you valuable time. The Personalized Study Plan diagnostic tool empowers students to master concepts, prepare for exams, and become more involved in class. Because a modern eBook is automatically integrated within CengageNOW, you can provide your students with price flexibility for your course! Also, available upon request, CengageNOW can be integrated with a variety of Learning Management Systems (i.e. BlackBoard).
- INTEGRATED LEARNING SYSTEM WITH SEVEN BUILDING BLOCKS: Each chapter starts with a professional video incident to challenge students and reveal their personal knowledge gap. Students then proceed as assigned by their instructor with questionnaire feedback, text resources, deliberate practice and team exercises, action learning exercises, and writing down their takeaways. The building blocks are described below.
- MANAGER CHALLENGE AND INITIAL RESPONSE: The first section of each chapter is a learning challenge based on a real-world problem faced by a manager. These problems/incidents are provided as short videos that instructors can use to begin the class. Cases are also provided for instructors who prefer not to show videos. After students watch the original video challenge and/or read the associated case, the instructor allows students to solve the problem, either through written analysis, discussion, or role-play. Trying to respond correctly to the video challenge or "problem" immediately answers the question implicit in the students' mind: "Why do I need to know this material?" This challenge and the students' response to it also provides a benchmark of student skill for the students' later realization of how much they have learned.
- DISCOVER YOURSELF: A series of questionnaires allow students to better understand their personal style and competency concerning the subject matter of a particular chapter. When they are aware of their current tendencies, they are better able to internalize new concepts. Follow up "Interpret Your Score" boxes are included in the Discover Knowledge section of each chapter.
- DISCOVER KNOWLEDGE: Students are provided with research-based knowledge and ideas. Learning resources within this section of each chapter include text material, self-assessment interpretations, real-world examples, and various engaging boxed features. Students are exposed to multiple perspectives on how the current problem and future problems might be solved.
- ACTION LEARNING EXERCISES: Individual deliberate practice exercises, in-class team exercises, and field team exercises are provided so students can apply and test their new knowledge and skills. Action learning means learning by doing, individually or in teams both inside and outside the classroom.
1. Your Manager Strengths and Weaknesses.
2. Learning About Yourself.
3. Managing Yourself to Get Things Done.
4. Creative Problem Solving.
5. How Managers Communicate.
6. Becoming an Ethical Manager.
Part II: INTERPERSONAL.
7. Motivating for Performance.
8. Getting Things Done Through Networks, Relationships, and Influence.
9. Develop People with Coaching and Feedback.
10. Handling Difficult Conversations, Conflict, and Negotiation.
11. Managing Your Boss.
Part III: MANAGING TEAMS AND ORGANIZATIONS.
12. Managing Teams.
13. Getting Things Done through Performance Management.
14. Managing Global Diversity.
15. Positive Leadership.
16. Managing Positive Change.
"I am really excited to see how the author implements both the "Do first then learn" and "Less is more" philosophies. These two philosophies set the text apart from other offerings that just focus on providing information and then activities related to theory." "I would describe this text as an innovative approach to skills that covers all of the major areas that we are used to addressing. The difference is in the text's ability to "show" students areas of deficiency and thus motivate them to acquire, develop, and practice the relevant skills." "I'm excited about the idea of this text. If the authors effectively implement the do then learn as well as the less is more approach, coupled with fresh, innovative video scenarios, I would strongly consider this text for adoption."
"A novel way to organize/approach the material in a traditional skills/OB course."
"You need to place it [this book] on the market as the most innovative product in the world. And, here is a selling point: in today's destroyed economic times, after witnessing the fall of Wall Street and Ponzi schemes, managers today must be able to be creative, innovative, and be a catalyst for change. It's not the same old routine for today's managers; planning, controlling and organizing. Today, managers are supposed to not only manage people, but turn their employees into a competitive advantage."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Captivate students with engaging videos that reinforce the book's themes and deepen their understanding of the management skills concepts. Brand new video challenges written by text author Dorothy Marcic challenge students to compare good vs. poor management practices. On the Job videos provide an in-depth look into a variety of real world-class companies.
Instructor's Resource CD-ROM
Place all the key resources you need at your fingertips with this all-in-one, convenient source. This CD-ROM includes the Instructor's Manual, Test Bank, ExamView®, and PowerPoint® slides, giving you the ultimate tool for customizing your lectures and presentations. Instructor's Manual: Whether you are a new or seasoned instructor, the Instructor's Manual provides time-saving resources to assist in class preparation. Additional detail for text assessments, exercises, role-plays, and cases will save you time and allow you to create the best possible learning experience for your students. Test Bank: Check your students' understanding of key principles in this thoroughly vetted Test Bank. A variety of question types are tagged to Bloom's taxonomy, AACSB learning outcomes, level of difficulty, and text topic. Each Test Bank chapter is delivered in a Word document and via ExamView online testing software. PowerPoint: Bring your lectures to life and clarify concepts for students with the dynamic PowerPoint® slides that accompany this text. Graphic figures from the text, lecture outlines, and innovative adaptations enhance any classroom presentation.
CourseMate with Career Transitions 2.0, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Engaging, trackable, and affordable, the new CourseMate website offers a dynamic way to bring course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support this printed edition of the text. Watch student comprehension soar with all-new flash cards and engaging games, audio summaries, self assessments, streaming videos, and more in this textbook-specific website. A complete e-book provides you with the choice of an entire online learning experience. CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need.
CourseMate with Career Transitions 2.0, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.
Flash Cards, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Flashcards designed to work with your text can help you to review and learn essential terms and key concepts. Interactive flashcards include terms and definitions for each chapter. This is instant access product; at the completion of your purchase, simply go to "My Home" and gain immediate access to your product. Note: If you have purchased CourseMate for your title, flash cards are already included.