Request for consultation
Designed for students who will work with families, but not necessarily continue with advanced family therapy training, AN INTRODUCTION TO FAMILY SOCIAL WORK, Fourth Edition provides a strong foundation in the concepts and skills necessary for success in the profession. The text features engaging case studies, end-of-chapter exercises, illustrations, and graphics to help students master the material.
- This edition is thoroughly up to date with the most recent EPAS requirements. NEW Helping Hands icons within the chapters and end-of-chapter Competency Notes spotlight text coverage of the required Core Competencies and recommended Practice Behaviors detailed by CSWE's new EPAS 2008.
- Chapter 5's discussion of family strengths and resilience has been updated with new references, and includes factors contributing to resilience have been placed within an ecological framework, including the strengths of families from diverse backgrounds.
- Chapter 10, "Family Systems Interventions," now includes "Intervention with Minority Families" following a family systems framework.
- Chapter 11, "The Intervention Phase," includes a new section on specialized family intervention approaches which include solution focused, communication/experiential, structural and narrative family approaches.
- In Chapter 12, the authors added information on interventions with children of substance abusers as well as intervention in families with substance abusers.
- Chapter 14, "The Termination Phase," now discusses a method to evaluate student learning of family social work based on relevant Council on Social Work and Canadian Association of Schools of Social Work Accreditation Standards. It also includes includes a new section entitled "Future Trends". Some future trends discussed include population trends such as baby boomers, increasing disparities between the richest and poorest in society, and populations effected by increasing military endeavors. Professional issues such as recruitment into the profession, changing technologies and evidence informed practice are also discussed.
- The expanded supplements package includes: an Instructor's Manual, Test Bank, and Microsoft PowerPoint slides to help you prepare your course; a Curriculum Quick Guide that helps you align text and course content to CSWE EPAS standards; and a Practice Behaviors Workbook that includes experiential learning exercises explicitly aligned to the practice behaviors recommended in the CSWE's EPAS.
- Suggested readings and key terms have been included in each chapter.
- Exercises have been moved to the appropriate places in the chapters rather than the end of each chapter. New exercises have been added and placed strategically.
- The literature, wording and case examples, where appropriate have been updated and better linked to the case examples in this edition. Culturally sensitive language and information is included throughout the text.
- References are updated and recommend further readings as well as definition of key terms are added to the end of each chapter.
- Based on the feedback from reviewers, the authors have re-organized the flow of chapters to better orient the reader to the step-by-step process of family social work.
- Chapter 1, discussing the field of family social work has been updated with new references.
- Chapter 2, "What is Family," includes a look at "family diversity" as well as a discussion of the language of diversity and the cultural dimensions of the many expressions of "family."
- In this book, the authors present the knowledge and practical skills needed to engage in family social work in a clear, succinct manner. They strive to make family social work alive and stimulating for family social workers.
- The authors make diversity part of the core of the book rather than standing out as something "different," thus helping to normalize diversity throughout the book, making it an integral and natural part of family social work. Cultural diversity, gender issues, different family forms are infused naturally throughout the book.
- In addition to offering a chapter devoted to family strengths and resilience, the authors have also incorporated this strengths perspective throughout the book.
- The text's engaging case studies encourage and support student involvement with the material.
- Practical end-of-chapter exercises challenge students to apply the text concepts.
- Helpful illustrations and graphics clarify the concepts discussed in the text.
2. What is Family?
3. Family Systems.
4. Family Development and the Life Cycle.
5. Family Strengths and Resilience.
6. Practical Aspects of Family Social Work.
7. The Beginning Phase.
8. Qualitative Family Assessment.
9. Quantitative Family Assessment.
10. Family Systems Interventions.
11. The Intervention Phase.
12. Interventions at the Child and Parental Levels.
13. Interventions with Couples and Gender Sensitive Practice.
14. The Termination Phase.