Request for consultation
Written by a team of best-selling authors, BIOLOGY: THE UNITY AND DIVERSITY OF LIFE, 14th Edition reveals the biological world in wondrous detail. Packed with eye-catching photos and images, this text engages students with applications and activities that encourage critical thinking. Chapter opening Learning Roadmaps help students focus on the topics that matter most and section-ending “Take Home Messages” reinforce key concepts. Helpful in-text features include a running glossary, case studies, issue-related essays, linked concepts, self-test questions, data analysis problems, and more. The accompanying MindTap for Biology is the most engaging and easiest to customize online solution in Biology. Known for a clear, accessible style, BIOLOGY: THE UNITY AND DIVERSITY OF LIFE, 14th Edition puts the living world of biology under a microscope for students to analyze, understand, and enjoy!
- MindTap™ for Biology: You know what's best for your students and you can deliver it with MindTap! The clear and engaging learning path includes student learning tools—readings, activities, videos, assessments, and a new Digital Study Guide—and guides students through their course. Instructors can easily set their course by customizing the learning path and adding their favorite resources. The conceptual exercises in the Aplia problem sets elevate student thinking and promote better outcomes.
- Human Impacts: Even more engaging, up-to-date content now focuses on real-world applications and the many ways human activities affect the environment.
- Revealing Artwork: New and improved illustrations and fresh, striking photographs add visual understanding to the concepts in this text, making it ideal for non-biology majors who may have limited prior exposure to biology coursework.
- Updated Case Studies: Refreshed and more relevant, these case studies highlight key applications, draw connections to the readings, and wrap up learning objectives at the end of each chapter.
- Unmatched Clarity: Unlike most science texts, BIOLOGY: THE UNITY AND DIVERSITY OF LIFE, 14th Edition makes subjects accessible without glossing over the science—even for the most complex topics.
- Visual Substance: Both pleasing to the eye and scientifically accurate, the book's art program adds real depth to the material with step-by-step, "Figure It Out" images and animated figures.
- Key Takeaways: A helpful "Take-Home Message" following each section asks an important question, and gives bulleted answers to promote understanding in detail.
- Data Analysis: Analytical activities using real data give students the opportunity to hone their critical thinking skills and gain insight into contemporary research.
UNIT 1: PRINCIPLES OF CELLULAR LIFE.
2. Life's Chemical Bases.
3. Molecules of Life.
4. Cell Structure.
5. Ground Rules of Metabolism.
6. Where it Starts—Photosynthesis.
7. How Cells Release Chemical Energy.
UNIT II: GENETICS.
8. DNA Structure and Function.
9. From DNA to Protein.
10. Control of Gene Expression.
11. How Cells Reproduce.
12. Meiosis and Sexual Reproduction.
13. Observing Patterns in Inherited Traits.
14. Chromosomes and Human Inheritance.
15. Studying and Manipulating Genomes.
UNIT III: PRINCIPLES OF EVOLUTION.
16. Evidence of Evolution.
17. Processes of Evolution.
18. Organizing Information about Species.
19. Life's Origin and Early Evolution.
UNIT IV: EVOLUTION AND BIODIVERSITY.
20. Viruses, Bacteria, and Archaea.
21. Protists: The Simplest Eukaryotes.
22. The Land Plants.
24. Animal Evolution: The Invertebrates.
25. Animal Evolution: The Chordates.
26. Human Evolution.
UNIT V: HOW PLANTS WORK.
27. Plant Tissues.
28. Plant Nutrition and Transport.
29. Life Cycles of Flowering Plants.
30. Communication Strategies in Plants.
UNIT VI: HOW ANIMALS WORK.
31. Animal Tissues and Organ Systems.
32. Neural Control.
33. Sensory Perception.
34. Endocrine Control.
35. Structural Support and Movement.
39. Digestion and Nutrition.
40. Maintaining the Internal Environment.
41. Animal Reproductive System.
42. Animal Development.
43. Animal Behavior.
UNIT VII: PRINCIPLES OF ECOLOGY.
44. Population Ecology.
45. Community Ecology.
47. The Biosphere.
48. Human Impacts on the Biosphere.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor’s Manual for Starr/Taggart/Evers/Starr’s Biology: The Unity and Diversity of Life, 14th
This guide includes lesson outlines, labs, and practice questions, all formatted especially for the redesigned AP® biology exam.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to: Author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions Create multiple test versions in an instant Deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom—or wherever you want!