Request for consultation
By using an issues-oriented approach, the new edition of this respected text grabs student interest with real-life issues that hit home. This text includes new coverage and pedagogy that encourages students to think critically about hot-button issues and includes outstanding new features that take students beyond memorization and encourage them to ask questions in new ways as they learn to interpret data. Show students how biology matters – Biology’s connections to real life are reflected in every chapter of this new edition, beginning with opening Impacts, Issues essays—a brief case study on a biology-related issue or research finding and is revisited throughout the chapter, reminding students of the real-world significance of basic concepts. Additional, online exercises promote critical thinking about issues students will face as consumers, parents, and citizens. Link concepts from chapter to chapter – Links to Earlier Concepts appear near the Key Concepts, to help students remember what they’ve learned in earlier chapters and apply it to the new material to come. At the beginning of each section, students are reminded of the earlier link that is most appropriate for their current
- New Data Analysis Exercises get students using real data to solve a problem. This feature helps students read and interpret data while helping them build critical thinking skills.
- New Figure It Out exercises with answers, allow students to check their understanding of a figure as they read through the chapter.
- Section-ending Take Home Messages briefly summarize the material the students have just read; it also includes a question, allowing students to self-check their knowledge.
- New BioExperience Interactive Tutorials allow students to experience biology by combining an inviting case study approach with interactive, multimedia learning resources and activities. The tutorials' carefully paced instruction—with embedded assessment and feedback—helps students grasp and comprehend biology's core concepts. Tutorial elements include: 3-D animations, Interactive animations, Organismal videos, Progressive assessment and more.
- Dynamic art with callouts provides visual overviews of a difficult process or mechanism, illustrated step-by-step in a simple way, and serves as one of the texts most effective means of helping students comprehend concepts. These three-dimensional diagrams and zoom sequences also provide a visual preview of the subject.
- Critical Thinking Skills/Interpreting Data – Biology: The Unity and Diversity of Life, 12e, encourages students to think critically about hot-button issues through Biology's connections to real life. These issues are reflected in every chapter of this new edition, beginning with opening Impacts,Issues essays—a brief case study on a biology-related issue or research finding, such as the effects of AIDS, biofuels, and the effects of trans fats. The issue presented in the chapter-opening essay is revisited throughout the chapter, reminding students of the real-world significance of basic concepts. Online exercises promote critical thinking about issues students will face as consumers, parents, and citizens.
- Interpreting Data – Biology: The Unity and Diversity of Life, 12e takes students beyond memorization and encourages them to ask questions in new ways as they learn to interpret data. New Data Analysis Exercises get students using real data to solve a problem. This feature helps students read and interpret data while helping them build critical thinking skills. New Figure It Out exercises with answers, allow students to check their understanding of a figure as they read through the chapter.
- The How Would You Vote? questions allow students to consider all sides of an issue, broaden their understanding, and cast their vote online.
- Clear Writing Style – Starr's writing is well known for its engaging style. The authors style engages students, without glossing over the science, even with such formidable topics as the laws of thermodynamics (Section 6.1). To keep book length manageable, the authors have been selective about which topics to include. To help students make informed decisions later in life they have also included sufficient information on many biology-related issues, such as STDs, fertility drugs, prenatal diagnoses, gene therapies, and stem cell research. The choices for which topics to condense, expand, or delete reflect more than three decades of feedback from teachers of millions of students around the world.
UNIT I PRINCIPLES OF CELLULAR LIFE.
2. Life's Chemical Basis.
3. Molecules of Life.
4. Cell Structure and Function.
5. A Closer Look at Cell Membranes.
6. Ground Rules of Metabolism.
7. Where It Starts—Photosynthesis.
8. How Cells Release Chemical Energy.
UNIT II PRINCIPLES OF INHERITANCE.
9. How Cells Reproduce.
10. Meiosis and Sexual Reproduction.
11. Observing Patterns in Inherited Traits.
12. Chromosomes and Human Inheritance.
13. DNA Structure and Function.
14. From DNA to Protein.
15. Controls Over Genes.
16. Studying and Manipulating Genomes.
UNIT III PRINCIPLES OF EVOLUTION.
17. Evidence of Evolution.
18. Processes of Evolution.
19. Organizing Information About Species.
20. Life's Origin and Early Evolution.
UNIT IV EVOLUTION AND BIODIVERSITY.
21. Viruses and Prokaryotes.
22. "Protists"—The Simplest Eukaryotes.
23. The Land Plants.
25 Animal Evolution—The Invertebrates.
26. Animal Evolution—The Chordates.
27 Plants and Animals—Common Challenges.
UNIT V HOW PLANTS WORK.
28. Plant Tissues.
29. Plant Nutrition and Transport.
30. Plant Reproduction.
31. Plant Growth and Development.
UNIT VI HOW ANIMALS WORK.
32. Animal Tissues and Organ Systems.
33. Neural Control.
34. Sensory Perception.
35. Endocrine Control.
36. Structural Support and Movement.
40. Digestion and Human Nutrition.
41. Maintaining the Internal Environment.
42. Animal Reproductive Systems.
43. Animal Development.
UNIT VII PRINCIPLES OF ECOLOGY.
44. Animal Behavior.
45. Population Ecology.
46. Community Structure and Biodiversity.
48. The Biosphere.
49. Human Impacts on the Biosphere.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor’s Manual for Starr/Taggart/Evers/Starr’s Biology: The Unity and Diversity of Life, 14th
This guide includes lesson outlines, labs, and practice questions, all formatted especially for the redesigned AP® biology exam.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to: Author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions Create multiple test versions in an instant Deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom—or wherever you want!