Request for consultation
Reflecting Cengage Learning’s commitment to offering flexible teaching solutions and value for students and instructors, these new hybrid versions feature the instructional presentation found in the printed text while delivering end-of-section and/or end-of chapter exercises online in Enhanced WebAssign. The result—a briefer printed text that engages students online! All Odd-numbered end-of-section exercises found in the full text, Intermediate Algebra, First Edition, are now available in Enhanced WebAssign. Each chapter of the text opens up with Warm-Up Problems that allow students to check their understanding of previously covered material, particularly prerequisite material relevant to the upcoming chapter Recognizing that the lecture portion of a class may not be taught in a computer lab, the authors provide end of section Classroom Problem Sets that allow students to try two similar problems in class. Designed for the elementary algebra course in which an online homework system is a requirement, BEGINNING ALGEBRA, HYBRID, First Edition, provides the content needed for the traditional, lecture-based course while offering the convenience of a more brief and more affordable text. The text employs Kaufmann and Schwitters' straightforward, three-step approach to problem solving--which guides students in learning a skill, practicing the skill to solve equations, and then using the equations to solve applications problems.
- The text employs Kaufmann and Schwitters' straightforward, three-step approach to problem solving--which guides students in learning a skill, practicing the skill to solve equations, and then using the equations to solve applications problems.
- Odd-numbered end-of-section homework exercises found in the text are available (and assignable) online in Enhanced WebAssign®--the online homework system that supports the text.
- "Getting the Most from your Enhanced WebAssign® Experience," a set of tear-out pages included in the book, guides students through the varied study features in Enhanced WebAssign.
- Chapter-opening Warm-up Exercises allow students to complete a quick review of skills and gauge their preparedness before starting on the material presented in the chapter.
- Classroom Problem Sets at the end of every section offer practice exercises for the classroom to help synthesize key skills and concepts.
- Chapter Review cards provide key concept summaries on convenient tear-out index cards, located in the back of the book.
- End-of-chapter Review Problem Sets and Practice Tests as well as periodic Cumulative Review Tests offer many opportunities for students to practice their skills.
Numerical and Algebraic Expressions. Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, and Division of Integers. Use of Properties. Prime and Composite Numbers. Rational Numbers. Decimals and Real Numbers.
2. EQUATIONS, INEQUALITIES, AND PROBLEM SOLVING.
Solving First-Degree Equations. Translating from English to Algebra. Equations and Problem Solving. More on Solving Equations and Problem Solving. Equations Involving Parentheses and Fractional Forms. Inequalities. Inequalities, Compound Inequalities, and Problem Solving.
3. RATIO, PERCENT, FORMULAS, AND PROBLEM SOLVING.
Ratio, Proportion, and Percent. More on Percents and Problem Solving. Formulas: Geometric and Others. Problem Solving. More about Problem Solving.
4. EXPONENTS AND POLYNOMIALS.
Addition and Subtraction of Polynomials. Multiplying Monomials. Multiplying Polynomials. Dividing by Monomials. Dividing by Binomials. Zero and Negative Integers as Exponents.
5. FACTORING, SOLVING EQUATIONS, AND PROBLEM SOLVING.
Factoring by Using the Distributive Property. Factoring the Difference of Two Squares. Factoring Trinomials of the Form x2 + bx + c. Factoring Trinomials of the Form ax2 + bx + c. Factoring, Solving Equations, and Problem Solving.
6. RATIONAL EXPRESSIONS AND RATIONAL EQUATIONS.
Simplifying Rational Expressions. Multiplying and Dividing Rational Expressions. Adding and Subtracting Rational Expressions. More on Addition and Subtraction of Rational Expressions. Rational Equations and Problem Solving. More Rational Equations and Problem Solving.
7. COORDINATE GEOMETRY.
Cartesian Coordinate System. Graphing Linear Equations and Applications. Graphing Linear Inequalities. Slope of a Line. Writing Equations of Lines.
8. SYSTEMS OF EQUATIONS.
Solving Linear Systems by Graphing. Elimination-by-Addition Method. Substitution Method. 3 x 3 Systems of Equations.
9. ROOTS AND RADICALS.
Roots and Radicals. Simplifying Radicals. Simplifying Radicals of Quotients. Products and Quotients Involving Radicals. Solving Radical Equations.
10. QUADRATIC EQUATIONS.
Quadratic Equations. Completing the Square. Quadratic Formula. Solving Quadratic Equations—Which Method? Solving Problems Using the Quadratic Equation.