Request for consultation
A concise paperback based on Maxfield/Babbie’s best-selling, RESEARCH METHODS FOR CRIMINAL JUSTICE AND CRIMINOLOGY, this “basics” version combines accessibility and a conversational writing style with Michael G. Maxfield’s expertise in criminology and criminal justice. In fewer than 400 pages, BASICS OF RESEARCH METHODS FOR CRIMINAL JUSTICE AND CRIMINOLOGY, 3e introduces students to the core of criminal justice research. It utilizes the most current, real data and features coverage of such key issues as ethics, causation, validity, field research, research design, and more. The Third Edition includes expanded coverage of web-based research and how to access and utilize new CJ data sets. Balancing coverage of both qualitative and quantitative methods, the text is packed with real-world examples, practical applications, and Internet research exercises.
- Reflecting the latest developments in the field, the exciting new Third Edition includes significantly expanded coverage of qualitative research.
- New! New material on writing proposals and reading research articles helps students sharpen these important skills for real-life practice.
- Completely current, the Third Edition is packed with real-world examples that have been extensively updated throughout.
- New! Each chapter begins with 8-12 numbered learning objectives carefully matched to individual bullet points in the end-of-chapter summary for maximum learning reinforcement. Each item in the accompanying Test Bank and Companion Website quiz section is also linked to a specific learning objective.
- Succinct yet thorough, BASICS OF RESEARCH METHODS FOR CRIMINAL JUSTICE AND CRIMINOLOGY delivers excellent coverage of conceptualization and operationalization, sampling, crime data, ethical problems and criminal justice research, and other key topics.
- Extremely relevant, the authors’ coverage of policy analysis reflects the trend toward a more analytic perspective in justice agencies, giving students valuable insight into the issues they will face in a career in the field of criminal justice.
- Helping students completely master the material, the text includes extensive, top-caliber pedagogical aids, including real-world examples, outlines, figures, key term definitions, chapter summaries, and review questions and exercises.
- Some end-of-chapter exercises require students to solve research problems using the Internet, giving them hands-on experience using online resources for timely, high-quality data.
2. Ethics and Criminal Justice Research.
3. General Issues in Research Design.
4. Concepts, Operationalization, and Measurement.
5. Experimental and Quasi-Experimental Designs.
7. Survey Research and Other Ways of Asking Questions.
8. Field Research.
9. Agency Records, Content Analysis, and Secondary Data.
10. Evaluation Research and Problem Analysis.
11. Interpreting Data.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Resource Manual with Lesson Plans and Test Bank
Contains a variety of resources to aid instructors in preparing and presenting text material in a manner that meets their personal preferences and course needs. It presents chapter-by-chapter suggestions and resources to enhance and facilitate learning.
Online PowerPoint® Slides
Helping you make your lectures more engaging while effectively reaching your visually oriented students, these handy Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides outline the chapters of the main text in a classroom-ready presentation. The PowerPoint slides are updated to reflect the content and organization of the new edition of the text.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's Criminal Justice CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. CourseMate includes an integrated eBook, glossaries, flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more--as well as Engagement Tracker, a first-of-its-kind tool that monitors student engagement in the course.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's Criminal Justice CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Access an integrated eBook, learning tools including glossaries, flashcards, quizzes, and videos, and more in your Criminal Justice CourseMate.