Request for consultation
AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGY: A SYSTEMS APPROACH - the leading authority on automotive theory, service, and repair - has been thoroughly updated to provide accurate, current information on the latest technology, industry trends, and state-of-the-art tools and techniques. This comprehensive text covers the full range of basic topics outlined by ASE, including engine repair, automatic transmissions, manual transmissions and transaxles, suspension and steering, brakes, electricity and electronics, heating and air conditioning, and engine performance. Now updated to reflect the latest NATEF MAST standards, as well as cutting-edge hybrid and electric engines, this trusted text is an essential resource for aspiring and active technicians who want to succeed in the dynamic, rapidly evolving field of automotive service and repair.
- Two new chapters provide detailed, dedicated coverage of hybrid and electric engines, outlining essential knowledge and skills technicians need to service these increasingly common, uniquely complex vehicles.
- New "The Three Cs" feature presents students with a real world vehicle problem to introduce the essential methodology for approaching a repair: concern, cause, and correction.
- The authors have carefully revised and updated the text to reflect the new NATEF MAST standards, preparing readers to pursue professional certification and develop the knowledge and skills they need for success in today's dynamic automotive service and repair industry.
- Illustrations, diagrams, and other visual elements throughout the text have been updated and enhanced to ensure technical accuracy, help bring key chapter concepts to life, and make material more engaging and effective for today's visual learners.
- An early chapter on automotive systems covers the basic NATEF tasks that apply to all systems, providing a wide-ranging overview of essential concepts that today's automotive technicians need to master for professional certification and career success.
- Extensive questions conclude each chapter to reinforce key concepts, enable students to assess their understanding, and help them prepare effectively for ASE certification.
- The text provides a uniquely thorough, detailed guide to essential automotive topics, including all of the basic areas outlined by ASE, such as engine repair, automatic transmissions, manual transmissions and transaxles, suspension and steering, brakes, electricity and electronics, heating and air conditioning, and engine performance.
- An extensive suite of instructor resources is available to reinforce teaching and learning, including chapter presentations in PowerPoint with videos and animations, electronic test banks, NATEF task correlations, an Image Library of all chapter figures, and more.
1. Careers in the Automotive Industry.
2. Workplace Skills.
3. Basic Theories and Math.
4. Automotive Systems.
5. Hand Tools and Shop Equipment.
6. Diagnostic Equipment and Special Tools.
7. Working Safely In the Shop.
8. Preventative Maintenance and Basic Services.
Part II: ENGINES.
9. Automotive Engine Designs and Diagnosis.
10. Engine Disassembly and Cleaning.
11. Lower-End Theory and Service.
12. Upper-End Theory and Service.
13. Engine Sealing and Reassembly.
14. Lubricating and Cooling Systems.
Part III: ELECTRICITY.
15. Basics of Electrical Systems.
16. General Electrical System Diagnostics and Service.
17. Batteries: Theory, Diagnosis, and Service.
18. Starting and Traction Motor Systems.
19. Charging Systems.
20. Lighting Systems.
21. Instrumentation and Information Displays.
22. Basics of Electronics and Computer Systems.
23. Electrical Accessories.
Part IV: ENGINE PERFORMANCE.
24. Engine Performance Systems.
25. Detailed Diagnosis and Sensors.
26. Ignition Systems.
27. Ignition System Diagnosis and Service.
28. Diesel and Other Alternative Fuels.
29. Fuel Delivery Systems.
30. Electronic Fuel Injection.
31. Fuel Injection Diagnosis and Service.
32. Intake and Exhaust Systems.
33. Emission Control Systems.
34. Emission Control Systems Diagnosis and Service.
35. Hybrid Vehicles.
36. Electric Vehicles.
Part V: MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS AND TRANSAXLES.
38. Manual Transmission and Transaxles.
39. Manual Transmission and Transaxle Service.
40. Drive Axles and Differentials.
Part VI: AUTOMATIC TRANMISSIONS AND TRANSAXLES.
41. Automatic Transmissions and Transaxles.
42. Electronic Automatic Transmissions.
43. Automatic Transmission and Transaxle Service.
44. Four- and All-Wheel Drive.
Part VII: SUSPENSION AND STEERING SYSTEMS.
45. Tires and Wheels.
46. Suspension Systems.
47. Steering Systems.
48. Restraint Systems. Theory, Diagnosis, and Service.
49. Wheel Alignment.
Part VIII: BRAKES.
50. Brake Systems.
51. Drum Brakes.
52. Disc Brakes.
53. Antilock Brake, Traction Control, and Stability Control Systems.
Part IX: PASSENGER COMFORT.
54. Heating and Air Conditioning.
55. Heating and Air Conditioning Diagnosis and Service.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Resource CD-ROM
The Instructor Resources commonly includes PowerPoint® presentations for each core textbook chapter, computerized test bank, Instructor's Manual, and other text-specific resources.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
The Tech Manual is a thorough workbook that offers students a way to reinforce their comprehension of chapter content from the core textbook, to think critically about the material they've learned on a given topic, and to put this knowledge to practice. This is achieved through a series of Concept Activities, Review Questions and Job Sheets for every chapter in the manual, guiding students methodically through the analysis, diagnosis, and repair procedures that they will be exposed to as working technicians.
The Tech Manual is a thorough workbook that offers you way to reinforce your comprehension of chapter content from the core textbook, to think critically about the material you've learned on a given topic, and to put this knowledge to practice. This is achieved through a series of Concept Activities, Review Questions and Job Sheets for every chapter in the manual, to guide you methodically through the analysis, diagnosis, and repair procedures that you will be exposed to as a working technician.