Request for consultation
This comprehensive textbook covers the theory of operation, diagnostics, and repair procedures for each system and subsystem of late model domestic and imported automobiles and light trucks. The new edition is published in full color for the first time, including all new step-by-step photo sequences to help users visualize and identify common repair procedures. The technical content has been both updated and improved. An emphasis is placed upon providing the best possible coverage of key topics virtually all automotive technicians must know electricity-electronics, engine performance, steering and suspension and brakes. "Hot Topics" such as the use of diagnostic equipment (including lab scopes), hazardous materials management, OBDII, electronic automatic transmissions, anti-lock braking systems, air-conditioning refrigerants and retrofitting, passive restraint systems and many others have been expanded and updated. Key new teaching tools, including 100 full-color transparency acetates, and Power- Point based lecture outlines, have been added to make the teaching package the best available. This textbook is also accompanied by an extensive Tech Manual that includes an all-new electronic study guide.
- Latest regulations on hazardous materials, waste handling, and disposal
- Expanded coverage of antilock brake, traction control, and stability control systems
- New coverage of the latest passive restraint systems, including smart systems
- Expanded coverage of diagnostic techniques and procedures for all systems
- Twenty-two new photo sequences.
- Expanded coverage of diagnostic equipment, including scan tools and lab scopes.
- Expanded coverage of the latest electronics advancements made in engine and body controls
- New format for the engine performance sections includes separate chapters on theory and diagnostics/service
- Comprehensive coverage of OBDII systems
- Up-to-date coverage of powertrain systems.
- New format for the air conditioning section including a separate chapters on theory and diagnostics/service
- SAE J1930 terminology is incorporated and updated throughout
- Lively, step-by-step photo sequences demonstrate repair procedures for easier retention
- Case Studies emphasize logical troubleshooting methods
- Shop Talk and Customer Care boxes offer practical advice
- Using Service Manuals boxes offer suggestions on maximizing the use of technical information
- Procedures Boxes isolates repair procedures from the rest of the content
- Chapters include performance based learning objectives, key-terms bold-faced on first use, key terms lists, chapter-end summaries of key concepts, cross references to Technician's Manual activities, and review questions including ASE-style questions.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Resource CD-ROM
The Instructor Resources commonly includes PowerPoint® presentations for each core textbook chapter, computerized test bank, Instructor's Manual, and other text-specific resources.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
The Tech Manual is a thorough workbook that offers students a way to reinforce their comprehension of chapter content from the core textbook, to think critically about the material they've learned on a given topic, and to put this knowledge to practice. This is achieved through a series of Concept Activities, Review Questions and Job Sheets for every chapter in the manual, guiding students methodically through the analysis, diagnosis, and repair procedures that they will be exposed to as working technicians.
The Tech Manual is a thorough workbook that offers you way to reinforce your comprehension of chapter content from the core textbook, to think critically about the material you've learned on a given topic, and to put this knowledge to practice. This is achieved through a series of Concept Activities, Review Questions and Job Sheets for every chapter in the manual, to guide you methodically through the analysis, diagnosis, and repair procedures that you will be exposed to as a working technician.