Request for consultation
This complete textbook provides detailed content on the theory of operation, diagnosis, repair, and rebuilding of automotive engines. In addition to essential technical expertise, the text helps users develop the skills and knowledge they need for professional success, including critical thinking and awareness of key industry trends and practices. The text emphasizes universal repair techniques and case histories based on real-world scenarios to prepare users for careers in the field. Instructor resources include lesson plans, customizable lab sheets that address NATEF Standards, a customizable test bank with questions based on chapter content, presentations in PowerPoint, and more. Now updated with new, full-color images and information on the latest trends, tools, and technology—including hybrid engines and high-performance components—AUTOMOTIVE ENGINES: DIAGNOSIS, REPAIR, REBUILDING, Seventh Edition, is the ideal resource for automotive programs who want a complete teaching package for their Engines course.
- New and updated full-color photographs and illustrations throughout the text help bring key concepts to life, making it easier for users to apply what they learn in hands-on, real-world scenarios.
- The author has updated content to reflect new developments in automotive technology and industry practices, including information on hybrid engines, gasoline direct injection theory and service, cooling and lubrication systems, variable valve timing, and relative compression testing with amp probe and DSO.
- A new section devoted to high-performance engines includes extensive coverage of turbochargers, manifolds, and camshafts, preparing users to understand and service these specialized engine components.
- A robust package of instructor resources makes it easier to integrate the text within your course; highlights include presentations in PowerPoint, lesson plans, customizable lab sheets incorporating NATEF Standards, and a test bank featuring abundant questions based on chapter content.
- Special features throughout the text help support effective learning and career preparation, including images of failed and worn parts to help users prevent recurring problems, information on repairing and restoring high-performance sports cars, and tips from experienced professionals on shop practices and engine machining.
- Compelling case histories provide real-world examples to illustrate key concepts and techniques, helping users appreciate the practical applications of text material and think critically about using their knowledge and skills in a variety of professional scenarios.
- The author emphasizes repair techniques universal to all engines, covering fundamental principles and practices to prepare users for career success in independent repair shops, parts and machine shops, auto dealerships, and other settings.
1. Engine Operation.
Simple Engine. Four-Stroke Engine Operation. Cylinder Arrangement. Valve Train. Cylinder Block. Front-Wheel Drive. Engine Classifications. Combustion Chamber Designs. Firing Order. Types of Cooling Systems. Ignition Types. Study Questions. ASE-Style Review Questions.
2. Engine Shop Safety.
General Shop Health and Safety. Hazardous Materials. Safety Test.
3. Diagnosing Engine Problems.
Diagnosing Problems Before an Overhaul. Oil Consumption. Fuel Mixture Problems. Compression Loss. Engine Noises. Oil Pressure Problems. Cooling System Problems. Electronic Failures/Engine Damage. Study Questions. ASE-Style Review Questions.
4. Engine Removal, Disassembly, Inspection, and In-Chassis Repairs.
Shop Manuals. Engine Removal. Engine Disassembly. Ordering Parts. Major Engine Repair - Engine in the Vehicle. Study Questions. ASE-Style Review Questions.
5. Cleaning the Engine.
Cleaning Methods. Cleaning the Inside of the Engine. Study Questions. ASE-Style Review Questions.
Metric System. Measuring Tools. Precision Measuring Tools. Study Questions. ASE-Style Review Questions.
Part II: THE BREATHING SYSTEM.
7. Cylinder Head: Parts and Service.
Head Disassembly. Carbon Removal. Crack Inspection. Crack Repair. Valve Guide Inspection. Valve Guide Repair. Valve Guide Seals. Resurfacing Heads. Study Questions. ASE-Style Review Questions.
8. Cylinder Head: Springs, Valves, and Valve Seats.
Valve Springs. Push Rods. Rocker Arms. Valves and Valve Service. Valve Seats and Service. Reassembling the Head. Study Questions. ASE-Style Review Questions.
9. Camshafts, Lifters, Timing Belts and Chains.
Camshaft. Hydraulic Lifters and Lash Adjusters. Hydraulic Lifter Operation. Roller Cam and Lifters. Cam Drives. Timing Drive Maintenance. Timing the Cam to the Crank. Timing Belts. Timing Belt Replacement. Study Questions. ASE-Style Review Questions.
Part III: CYLINDER BLOCK ASSEMBLY.
10. Cylinder Block - Inspection and Service.
Cleaning the Block. Oil and Water Plugs. Main Bearing Caps. Main Bearing Bore Alignment. Decking the Block. Inspecting Cylinder Bores. Deglazing Cylinders. Reboring Cylinders. Honing Cylinders to Size. Chamfering the Cylinder. Cylinder Sleeves. Lifter Bores. Final Block Preparation. Study Questions. ASE-Style Review Questions.
11. Crankshaft, Bearings, and Engine Balancing.
Crankshaft Design. Crank End Thrust. Checking Crank Condition. Bearing Inserts. Engine Balancing. Study Questions. ASE-Style Review Questions.
12. Piston, Rings, and Connecting Rod.
Pistons. Piston Rings. Connecting Rods. Wrist Pins. Study Questions. ASE-Style Review Questions.
13. Lubrication System.
The Lubrication System. Oil. Oil Pumps. Priming the System. Oil Filters. Filter Bypass System. Crankcase Ventilation. Study Questions. ASE-Style Review Questions.
14. Cooling System.
The Cooling System. Cooling System Circulation. Water Pump. Belts. Thermostat. Thermostat Bypass. Radiators. Study Questions. ASE-Style Review Questions.
Part IV: ENGINE REPAIR AND REASSEMBLY.
15. Engine Hardware: Fasteners, Thread Repair, and Gaskets.
Characteristics of Fasteners. Bolt Stretch. Torque and Friction. Bolt Failures. Drill Bits. Taps and Threads. Repairing Broken Fasteners. Flared Lines. Gaskets. Gasket Sealer. Seals. Study Questions. ASE-Style Review Questions.
16. Reassembly and Starting.
Warranty. Reassembly. Completion of Assembly. Engine Installation. Engine Starting and Initial Break-in of the Camshaft. Final Inspection and Cleaning. Study Questions. ASE-Style Review Questions.
Part V: ENGINE POWER AND PERFORMANCE.
17. Engine Breathing: Intake and Exhaust Systems.
Intake and Exhaust Manifolds. Engine Modifications to Improve Air Flow. High-Performance Valves and Valve Springs. Exhaust Manifolds and Headers. Mufflers. Study Questions. ASE-Style Review Questions.
18. Turbochargers and Superchargers.
Supercharging and Engine Power. Turbochargers. Turbo Boost and Lag. Supercharger Pressure Control. Variable Geometry Turbochargers. Aftercooler/Intercooler. Turbocharger Troubleshooting. Turbocharger Damage Diagnosis. Belt-driven Superchargers/ Blowers. Pressure Relief Valves. Dynamic Superchargers. Blower Problems. Study Questions. ASE-Style Review Questions.
19. Producing Power: Valve Timing, Power and Torque Measurement.
Camshaft and Engine Performance. Checking Camshaft Timing. Camshaft Phasing, Lobe Centers, and Lobe Spread. Variable Valve Timing. Active Fuel Management/Displacement on Demand. Power and Torque. Measuring Torque and Horsepower. Dynamometer Safety Concerns. Study Questions. ASE-Style Review Questions.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning’s [Discipline] CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. Automotive CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
CourseMate Instant Access
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place. Read your textbook, take notes, review flashcards, watch videos, and take practice quizzes—online with CourseMate.